Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Irish Mist

Propane selector switch

Is there any user serviceable parts on the tank selector switch ? I am having to replace the tank on one side all the time as the switch when moved does not let propane flow from the other tank into the system.
Thank you
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Propane selector switch

I would guess that you have two propane tanks, one located on each side of your RV? If so, there are two regulators, one "low pressure" regulator attached to the auto changeover valve and one "mid pressure" regulator attached to the supply hose on the "off tank". Both of those regulators, the supply hoses AND the tanks have "safety flow valves" built into them. Those valves, if they detect a "rapid flow of propane" will "shut down flow" as a safety cutoff. If you look at your system, you'll see that there is a long black iron pipe that runs across your RV. The "volume" of propane that "rushes into the pipe" from the "off side tank" to the autochangeover valve is quite large. If you turn on the tank valve too fast, the safety features will "shut down propane flow" before the pipe fills with propane. That renders the autochangeover as "useless" since the tank is "shut down".... Gone are the days of simple 3/8" copper tubing with flared fittings..... <sigh>
So, it may be something as simple as how fast you "turn on the supply valve" on the off tank or possibly a bad "mid pressure" regulator, and many people have had issues with that "little red thing" (the mid pressure regulator).....

First of all, I'd suggest completely shutting down your system. Then turn the autochangeover valve to the "off tank side". Go to that side, and S-L-O-W-L-Y turn the supply valve to on. The autochangeover valve indicator should change from red to green (indicating gas flow from the offside tank to the regulator). Go inside, light your stovetop burners, then your oven pilot, test the furnace system and check your refrigerator gas supply. If they are all working, then go back to the "autochangeover side" and S-L-O-W-L-Y turn that tank valve to on. Once the "off side tank" is empty, the autochangeover valve "should" switch to the full tank and the indicator will change from green to red, indicating that the "tank the arrow points to" is empty. Turn the valve to point to the full tank and the indicator should change from red to green. Remove, fill the empty tank and once connected, S-L-O-W-L-Y turn the tank valve back on. Hopefully that will solve your problem. Otherwise, you've got a faulty "limiting valve' somewhere in your system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Just last week had an auto changeover regulator that would switch only one way. We ended up replacing the regulator as there isn't any user serviceable parts inside them. Make sure you test the new one, the replacement I installed was faulty. Our test method:

After opening both cylinders, point the changeover to one cylinder. Light the stove and observe the flame for size. Then close the cylinder that the regulator is drawing from, and check the stove. The flame should stay the same. Turn off the stove and open the closed cylinder. point the selector at the other tank, light the stove and again close the cylinder that the regulator is drawing from. The flame should stay the same.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Irish Mist

Wow really learning here... I didn't realize it was automatic .. Mine must be mounted backwards as I can not see any indicator .. I'm sure it is me just turning in the gas too fast.. Hopefully.. This is just user error .. I will report back.. Thank you again everyone
Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Irish Mist

Update... There is an indicator I had looked at a replacement that was different This one is simpler.. But does change green to red when I switch off the propane .. Sadly no matter how hard I try no gas getting past the switch to anything from the switch forward.. I will swap out the switch tomorrow Hopefully that will fix it.. Now my fridge problem on another post ..
I will post my success or failure tomorrow with the switch
Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Irish Mist

Solution... I swapped out the lines going into the auto switch and after testing found the supply line from the one tank was restricted. There is some kind of valve at the tank end that would not let the gas pass .. All tested all working.. Thanks everyone for your suggestions..
Old 10-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
Larry1013

The OPD valves on the tanks are designed to prevent excessive propane flow. It may have closed down the supply from one tank.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Mist View Post
Solution... I swapped out the lines going into the auto switch and after testing found the supply line from the one tank was restricted. There is some kind of valve at the tank end that would not let the gas pass .. All tested all working.. Thanks everyone for your suggestions..
Glad you got that fixed, now if you can only get the refrigerator repaired

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Irish Mist

Thanks John..yes the fridge .. Hopefully just the board..