Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
crowderd

12 volt electrical problem

I have a 2008 Keystone Everest. My problem is the 12 volt system is intermittent. Sometimes when I go onto the 12 volt system it will work, other times I have no power.

The batteries are fully charged, but I am receiving no power through the system, even when connected to the tow vechicle
crowderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
GMcKenzie

There is a circuit breaker on the main power feed from the battery. When you don't have power, test both poles of it. It may be bad or you may have a draw that is setting it off.

Long story, but learned the hard way a few years back to check breakers when something is intermittent.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
crowderd

I have been looking for something like that, but have not found it. Power appears to be coming to the battery to charge it when the shut off switch is on.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like either a loose connection or possibly an intermittent 12 VDC circuit breaker in the line from the battery to the trailer.

You should have two of these (see picture) connected to the positive battery cable. Check them for internal corrosion or intermittent function.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 VDC CIRCUIT BREAKER.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	8912  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
crowderd

Thank you, I didn't realize they were circuit breaker's untill I saw the pictures you posted. I will look at replaceing these.

Again Thank You
Old 06-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
TandE

Not really the same scenario but recently we got back from a trip and put the unit in storage. Went back to get a couple things that we forgot about and my slides would not work. Everything else worked perfectly. Hooked the truck up to the trailer and the slides worked again. Figuring maybe the batteries were kinda dead I took them and charged them up. Still nothing. Tested the breakers and they were good.

Took the cover off the distribution box where the 7 wire connector goes and found a sheared bolt where all the grounds connected to the frame. Moved them to another bolt and walla everything works.

Since you say you have an intermittent problem I would guess loose wires or bad ground as most of those circuit breakers fail open and don't reset. Could be wrong but test them first before replacing them.

That's the box where my ground was broken.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
Jaydee63

Electrical question.

I recently had a "brown out" problem occurring at a park. The problem would come and go on almost a regular basis. I checked all the obvious culprits and found no problems. I asked neighbours and they were not having any park supply problems.

I can only surmise the problem was internal to either the now 7 year old battery or the converter not functioning properly. The battery still tests out at 13.16 volts.

When I got home I plugged the trailer into 120 AC and took the battery out as a probable cause.
Everything I checked on the trailer appears to work without a battery even being installed. Lights, fridge, slideouts etc work OK without the battery.

So finally...here's my question...Since I never dry camp, nor ever intend to.....why do I even need a battery? What purpose does it serve when plugged into an AC source?

Thanks,

Jim
Jaydee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

It's not a problem until you travel. Your emergency trailer brakes are 12 volt and a battery is needed for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

What Chip said plus the slide manufacturer recommends a "Fully charged battery" while operating the slides. Also if power fails while plugged in the fridge needs 12v to operate on LP gas and water heater too.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote