Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 AM   #1
nitrohorse

Remote Control Vent Fan

I apologize in advance if this is not the place for this thread. I put this here as there is a high ceiling in a fifth wheel and having a remote controlled vent fan in the bathroom was someing I felt was needed. I have a 2015 Cooper Canyon 333FWFLS. The vent fan switch in the bathroom is out of reach for both my wife and I. I found a 12v 10 amp remote with two key fobs for less than $15.00 on Ebay and decided that it would solve the issue of the fan constantly running whenever the bathroom light was turned on. The install was pretty straightforward, I removed the white plastic bezel and trim and started splicing wires. The remote wiring has a 12v + in, 12v + out, a ground, and an antenna wire. The hardest part of the entire mod was determing which supply wire was + and which was -. I used two sided tape to mount the remote relay to the white trim fascia. I included a few photos for reference. I now can turn the light on without having the fan running. The next mod will be a better exhaust fan, but that will not happen until it warms up a bit here in the chilly northeast. Being the practical joker that I am, I will keep one remote in the living room and turn the fan off regardless if needed or not. I will tell my son that the ran has a sensor built in that automatically senses "odor"...ha...ha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	8169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	8170  
Attached Images

nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:10 AM   #2
SkiSmuggs

Good solution. I have an extra fan after replacing the little cheap one in the bathroom with a single speed large fan. It was too noisy and I got the 5 speed (3 exhaust, 2 intake) to replace it. I would like to put the single speed in the living room vent, but didn't want to use a broom stick to turn it on and off.
The trick now is to find wiring in the ceiling to power the LR fan.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:48 AM   #3
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Good solution. I have an extra fan after replacing the little cheap one in the bathroom with a single speed large fan. It was too noisy and I got the 5 speed (3 exhaust, 2 intake) to replace it. I would like to put the single speed in the living room vent, but didn't want to use a broom stick to turn it on and off.
The trick now is to find wiring in the ceiling to power the LR fan.
Some folks have tapped off an existing ceiling light for their fan electric. I have led lights in my fiver with them being controlled by a light switch. That rules out me using the ceiling lights as a source of power. I would like to add a fan in the living room too, but finding constant DC may be a problem.
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
SkiSmuggs

If I can snake it, wire from the vent to the control panel porch light input might be a good source. If the fan caused flicker, it would be an outside rather than an inside light. By tapping the input side, the switch wouldn't affect fan operation either. I see my LR vent fan as short term operation as it is a noisy, high volume, single speed and would be used for sucking out hot air upon campsite arrival.