Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Jabber2Jake

Wheels? Segway, Scooter Chair, etc?

Anyone use these super scooters?
Wondering where they are legal?
Ok, accepted in the campground?
Can you cruise into the city, stores?
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
geo

I can only address the Segway, not the others. First, the most vulnerable part of the Segway is the wheels/tires. If one ventures too near anything that can catch, drop, stop, etc., a wheel, the Segway will either try to correct the unexpected motion or totally shut down - and basically both cases will throw the rider off the Segway, sometimes with injury. The maximum speed of a Segway is around 12.5 mph (20 kph), so it can get around at a pretty good clip. But it is not rated for road/highway use! (Scary thought! )

Some cities, malls, etc., have banned the use of Segways on sidewalks and/or streets - equating them to skateboards. Some National Parks and Monuments have also banned their use. There was a recent case where a disabled veteran was using a Segway as a mobility device and was banned from the National Mall in Washington, DC by the Park Service. Luckily, cooler minds prevailed and as the veteran used the Segway for mobility, and he had a permit designating that it was a medical mobility device, he was allowed to use his Segway. However, don't plan riding a Segway along the Rim Trail at Grand Canyon NP! Two weeks ago, due to the winds, it was discouraged to even walk along the Rim Trail!

As a final comment, have you priced Segways? Even a minimum new model is over US$7K - for a single rider! Add a few upgrades, and a few extras . . . well over US$10K.

However, Segways are a blast to ride!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
gearhead

I had a co-worker that bought a Segway. He rode it to work, about 3 miles, into the office building, in the elevator, up to the 3rd floor, and into the cube farm.
My only other encounter with one was at the Chili Bowl Midget races in Tulsa OK. Tony Stewart (the race car driver) was riding one in the pits. He made an abrupt move in reverse headed towards a little ole lady. I grabbed her and pulled her out of the way. I think there was some Schlitz involved.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote