Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

BAL Hide-A-Spare problem

I've had the BAL Hide-A-Spare rack under my fifth wheel for several years. I installed the spare on the rack so the valve stem is on the bottom so I can check tire pressure without having to pull the rack from under the RV.

This week I bought new tires for the fifth wheel and kept the best of the 4 to replace the spare, which has never been off the BAL rack.

Much to my surprise, the bolt that holds the rack to the mount, the one with the plastic knurled knob so it's easy to remove without tools, was rusted and would not turn. I eventually destroyed the plastic knurled knob and what was left after I used wire cutters to remove all the plastic is a 9/16" bolt with a hole in the threads to lock it in place.

I got the bolt out without damaging the nut, but if this had happened on the side of a busy road, I'd have been looking for "make shift tools" to cut away the plastic.

So, a word of caution, if you have the BAL Hide-A-Spare rack, be sure to remove the locking bolt and remove any rust that might cause it to bind. I added a fingertip of axle grease to mine and will start carrying a 9/16" wrench in my tire changing tool bag since it's been a problem once already.

If you've got one, check it in the yard to be sure it will work as designed on the side of the road !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
Tbos

Good points to consider. I need to test mine to make sure it’s not going to be a problem.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
GeekSquadOfUn

Thank you for the heads up. ��
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
busterbrown

That same plastic knob rusted on mine and it just broke off. Was able to use channel locks to remove the inner metal screw. Replaced all of it with a stainless steel bolt, lock washer, and large wingnut. Now, just a wrench and/or pliers is needed to remove the hardware. Cough it up to poor design.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #5
cavediver

They probably didn't have northern climates in mind when they designed them. Never- seez might be a better option than grease, especially for stainless steel.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote