Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Jacketsbum

Cougar 338RLK

We have a 2018 Cougar 338RLK and while we love it for a lot of good design ideas, there are also some really dumb things that make you wonder who designs these things. Like mounting the spare tire in the front compartment taking up all the storage room. Or putting the electric hook up on the rear behind the really nice fold up storage rack so when it’s loaded you can’t get to the outlet to plug in the electric. I told the dw I think half of this thing was designed by people really knowledgeable about camping and rv’s, the other half was designed by Laurel & Hardy. I’ve made probably a dozen or so modifications and it is now a really nice fiver! Any thoughts from other 338’ers out there?
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:38 AM   #2
jeffqwv

Can you share your modifications, I purchased the same rig a few months ago. I have discovered some odd designs as well.
jeffqwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Jacketsbum

I relocated the spare to underneath the camper, opened up the whole front cabinet.
I tore out the pivoting bathroom door (really dumb idea)and put in a slider.
I tore out all blank panels in kitchen where drawers should be and installed drawers, also in the outside kitchen.
I replaced the power hook up in back with a smart plug. Definetly worth the money!! https://anchorexpress.com/smartplug-...iABEgL1bvD_BwE

Relocated the light switches in the bedroom and bathroom. They should be by the entrance, not inside the room where you have to search for them

Added a drop down 40" TV in the large open space above the outside kitchen. Great for watching sports while sitting around the campfire.
Replaced the junk mattress in the bedroom
Added a water hook up at the outside kitchen.
Replaced the junk TV antenna with a King Max directional with 70 mile range, works great!
Replaced three step entrance steps with a four step.
Added a rear observation camera
Added another shelf to pantry

Had to repair several things that their so called "quality control" missed but the Rv is coming along to where its customized for the DW and I.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

King Max antenna? I have a King Jack directional I installed in my trailer... not sure there is another king out there. Glad you are getting 70 mile reception; mine is 35-40 miles tops. Guess you must be in different topography.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Jacketsbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
King Max antenna? I have a King Jack directional I installed in my trailer... not sure there is another king out there. Glad you are getting 70 mile reception; mine is 35-40 miles tops. Guess you must be in different topography.
Yea, it is a King Jack, either a fat finger or spell check changed it, but yea we camped at Rocky Fork state park last week and picked up Columbus stations, about 75 miles away.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #6
jeffqwv

Thanks for the information, the longer I have it the more odd things I find. I need to take a day and start popping panels. I'm sure I'll be amazed at the wasted space I'll find. Where did you get the drawers that were added?

1998 Coleman Grandview SP
2001 Cub Aerolite F21
2005 Keystone Cougar 304BHS
2018 Keystone Cougar 338RLK
2012 Ram, Laramie, 6.7L
jeffqwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 AM   #7
Jacketsbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffqwv View Post
Thanks for the information, the longer I have it the more odd things I find. I need to take a day and start popping panels. I'm sure I'll be amazed at the wasted space I'll find. Where did you get the drawers that were added?
The drawer by the sink I ordered from the dealer. Under the oven I put in a drawer front with a hinge that just drops down. Ordered that too so it matches. There is a lot of room under there for heavy items like pots and pans. The drawer in the outside kitchen I just made it and got the hardware from a Home Depot.

Tags
cougar