Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
moodman

High Country Rafters

I saw a video on YouTube on how they make Montana 5ers. The video said that the rafters in the roof (the trusses) are made from aluminum. This video is a few years old, so I am wondering if the new Montana High Country's still use aluminum for the rafters or if that only applies to the Montana line.

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
travelin texans

My Redwood, originally built by Crossroads (another Thor's subsidiaries) & has aluminum roof trusses. I think most of the 5ers should have them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Tbos

The Jan 2018 brochure shows aluminum rafters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:49 AM   #4
moodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
The Jan 2018 brochure shows aluminum rafters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can you please give me a link to that brochure? And, do you know if there is any difference between Montana and Montana High Country on the structure?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You can download the 2018 brochure for any of the Keystone trailers at this link: https://www.keystonerv.com/brochures/ You'll be asked if you want a dealer to contact you (mark yes/no) then you'll be asked how you want to brochure delivered (mail/download) Click download and it will "magically appear"....

There is a "situation" with the brochure for the Montana High Country. It has the same picture, to describe the air conditioning ductwork, as the brochure for the Montana. That picture shows "aluminum rafters". Then further down, in the chart that shows the build features, the rafters are listed as, "RESIDENTIAL ROOF RAFTERS". In the Montana brochure, the same picture appears in the description of the A/C ducting and the construction features in the chart indicate, "5" ARCHED ROOF RAFTERS".

While the difference in how the rafters are described in each brochure may mean they are not the same type/construction it doesn't mean they aren't. If I were you, I wouldn't rely on the brochure as the "verified source of information" for any trailer. The last statement on each brochure reads: "Product information is as accurate as possible as of the date of publication of this brochure. All features, floor plans and specifications in this brochure are subject to change without notice..."

So, the brochure may not be accurate per Keystone's disclaimer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
goducks

Brochure say Residential Roof Rafters. My home has wood rafters so I'm assuming that the HC has wood rafters as well. If they were aluminum why wouldn't they say that?
And what is Plyveneer?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Brochure say Residential Roof Rafters. My home has wood rafters so I'm assuming that the HC has wood rafters as well. If they were aluminum why wouldn't they say that?
And what is Plyveneer?

I would NEVER make an assumption about an unseen product based on a comparison of a brochure to a S&B building. Keystone uses wood, plywood, stamped steel, aluminum and composite materials for rafter construction. Which is in a specific trailer brand??? Assuming is not a reliable method to determine that information.

As for Plyveneer: It's amazing what a simple Google search will produce: http://www.plyveneer.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
Tbos

High Country Rafters

My Brochure came from a dealer but JRTJH is right. Every brochure for every brand includes a disclaimer about possible changes.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote