Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Jetfixer03

Scary sight...

I was riding shotgun in the g/f's jeep, we're in the left lane, about to pass a 5'r in the right lane and his aft drivers side is riding quite low. As we pull along side it turns out the wheel is gone on his aft axle. By the time I got over the bewilderment we were past him, and it occurred to me maybe he didn't know. Either that or he lost it and was trying to limp home, which I can't imagine. Parts of his suspension had to be under some ridiculous stress. There was a lot of traffic behind us, couldn't really get back to him. I wonder if he made it home.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What was your speed? I hate to sound so negative but I expect, based on lots of miles on the highway, that the person was overweight, lost a tire and didn't know it. Maybe it flew across the highway and hit another car and caused??

On the other hand, not my negative side, maybe he WAS trying to limp back home or to a place to fix it.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #3
byrdr1

you can limp them home, just did that last week.
if he lost it he could feel it.
I did..
lots of work to limp them home. I never got over 45mph in a 70 MPH zone. my rear end was tight the whole way. I had emptied out almost everything the day before. I had to leave my camper sitting on the side of I-73/74 for over 24 hours. NCSHP knew it was there. Lost the tire and found it like 200 yards behind in the medium.
I felt so lucky that it only damaged my 5er. nobody was hurt and no other damage to anything but my pride and the camper.
YES, the wheel bearings were packed to the tune of $280 back in March but ...
BUT that's about all I can say.. trip to Gatlinburg, TN and then to Myrtle Beach, sc and then this trip. never made it home. My camper is at the Rv repair facility right now waiting for the insurance claim to come through.
I can explain it, if anybody ever cared too how to limp it home with the whole tire& rim missing. new axle was ordered yesterday and new rim and tires coming soon.
damage to 5er is a whole nother thing.
rb

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #4
byrdr1

you can limp them home..

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

That has got to be a REAL bummer! Having a blowout is one thing but losing the whole mess is quite another. Hate that your having such a problem and hope that you get it taken care of soon. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Desert185

It looks to me like the wheel broke at the hub. Is that what happened?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
bobbecky

A couple of years ago, we were flagged down by a couple of guys who said our brakes smelled bad. We managed to get off the road, and discovered the curb side rear wheel was at a bad angle, and very hot. I loosened the lug nuts, and with the levelup system, jacked the rig, and as it came up, the wheel/drum assembly fell off onto the sidewalk. We had a bearing failure. I had just packed them a couple months earlier. I had all the spare bearing parts with us to get us back on the road, less the brake on that wheel. The rig now has USA made Timken bearings. The only thing that kept the wheel with us was the plastic fender.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #8
Dave W

Happy to see that you folks were able to make it home OK

No-name/no quality bearings or incompetent service?

Almost convinced me that I should carry a couple of my heavy ratchet straps though we already have brand new, freshly packed Timken bearings (well almost new at 110 miles) along with upsizing them to the larger 6000 pound size when I installed the disc brakes conversion.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
BuxCamper

Saw a dual axle cargo trailer missing its left front wheel as I was exiting the NJ Turnpike. Unfortunately no way to warn the driver.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote