Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
cvin

Keystone junk - now what???

This is unreal, every time i get in this thing there is another problem

Been hooked up at a campground for 5 days , get to a friends to stay in the trailer and boondock for two days, then it will sit for a week or so

Now the water pump does not work...... was working fine before the campground

Any suggestions, i cannot hear it but the battery meter goes down like it is drawing power

Water tank is full
I dont see a fuse for the water pump unless it is S/O?

Any help would be great
Old 08-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Shotgun

Sadly they are all junk...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
Shotgun

Have you tried a cordless drill battery directly to the pump to see if it's a short?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I first thing I would check is the battery. Test it make sure it is full charge. No matter what else battery gauge shows, test the battery. Then maybe think about pump failures.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
gearhead

About a hundred grand will get you an Airstream, likely with the same water pump and maybe the same battery.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
About a hundred grand will get you an Airstream, likely with the same water pump and maybe the same battery.
And definitely the same switch and wiring. Likely even more is the same. Just shows how "good" Keystone trailers really are .

Up here, the local Airstream dealer also sells Keystone trailers, so even the same service, same techs and same appointment schedule....

As a matter of fact, if you know somebody in the service department, you can get better service than the Airstream people get......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
cvin

Lol, thanks for the posts guys

For some reason i dont always get an email when someone replies on my threads, so just saw these
Meant to update anyway

I had no time to deal with it and had a mobile rv repair guy come out , he said the pump had zero suction?? And was bad
Mine was a shurflo with good ratings on amazon- he replaced it with a different shurflo with better ratings on amazon...

I used it a couple more days and then have been home- hopefully it will be fine when i get back this weekend

I did take the pump apart to see if it was clogged or obviously broken somehow, too my eye it looked brand new in and out, no clogs in the pump or the little prefilter or tears in the rubber parts etc

Have no idea what killed it but do plan on filling the fresh water tank using a filter and running the system when hooked up with a filter just to be safe

My biggest problem with all of this is the camper had been used 5 times since new before i bought it
It is a 2015 model and i just started using it a couple of months ago

Have had to replace the ac control board- that had possibly never been used

Now the water pump

And the propane changeover valve and did the hoses because they looked cracked - by the way who ever thought up hiding the red/green meter where you cannot see it from the top on the propane valve????? I changed it to one with the meter on the top

And i totally get it, keystone does not make any of these components BUT ford does not make my fuel pumps, alternators etc and if i have a unit under warranty you dont hear excuses from ford

I got a good deal on this camper in state, which saved taxes etc

But after reading these forums i am SOOOO very glad i did not fork out the extra 8-10 grand for a new 2016/2017 with a warranty thinking having a warranty was smart, that was my plan and so glad this one showed up cheap here in my state

Good friend of mine bought a brand new 2016 jayco last year, major problems with it right from the start, when they rolled it out for the pdi or whatever it is called the water pump was bad lol
Major leaks etc and dealing with warranty has been a joke, it has spent months in the shop and not been fixed

now know that my next toy hauler will be a well taken care of old one or i will build a custom one out of a cargo trailer or something

None of these newer campers are worth the price to me and zero advanatage to having a warranty
These things are only built and meant for travel and your warranty is no good and can be ignored if you did not buy from the dealer where you are?? That is absolutely insane

Bottom line is i realize all the companies are doing it but that is only because we let them
This whole deal is a scam to me
I am somebody that would buy a new camper and gladly pay for a 5 year warranty IF this was the same set up as my cars etc

Off my rant but geez
Reading these forums and my experiences with this newer camper have been a real eye opener
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I bought a new Hideout 2017 Model and basically have had not any issues. Small stuff but nothing like leaks, things not working. I feel I must have got lucky. I do agree that the RV industry needs to be regulated better. Unfortunately there is not any foreign imports to compete with the US industry to motivate them to make a better quality product.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
cvin

hope your hideout has zero problems, that would be great

definitely something wrong with the rv industry, would love to see them change it but am skeptical
Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
linux3

Just returned from a Keystone Hideout factory tour. Very busy QA department putting yellow tape on problems.
That said I think they were trying.
My 2yo Passport had a lose speaker that I just fixed and with approximately 10k miles that's it.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
cvin

that is great linux, hope it stays that way

maybe i just got a lemon

Tags
keystone