Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
cardinal96ss

DESPARATELY need hydraulic slide help

The slides on our 2006 Montana are hydraulic operated by a Lippert pump. the slides have operated a bit intermittently for the last couple months. Toggling the switch would fix it. Yesterday I installed a new switch and operated the slides just fine. This afternoon hitting the switch will cause the motor to run for about 4 seconds then switch off. Moving the switch again and again will either have no response or run the motor for a few moments before cutting off. All fuses look good. I'm thinking that for some reason there is an unusual load on the motor which causes it to stop. Attaching a large "starter" charger on battery makes no difference.
Of course we are scheduled to leave on a 4 week trip to the east coast tomorrow 0700.
Any idea on what the problem is or how to chase it down.
Now to finish mowing.
Thanks in advance.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Terry W.

Sounds like a heavy load cause a self-rest breaker to trip. When was the last time the slides were lubed. Try closing all the valves moving one slide at a time. This may help discover if it is one in particular causing the problem

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
drdarrin

My Montana has 30A and a 50A self resetting breaker in it. Which one controls the hydraulic slide, I don't know. We have had an occasional issue when extending or retracting the slides, the motor will stop. A pause of a few seconds allows the breaker to reset. I have a replacement for each but have been too lazy to replace the offender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

My camper has a 30 amp and a 50 amp as well.

The way mine is wired, the 50 amp sits between the batteries and the converter... and the 30 amp is between the batteries and 12 devices on the tongue (jack, brakes, TV interface, etc.)

Everything 12 volt inside the camper, draws from the converter... so from the 50 amp.

The 12 volt on the outside/tongue from the 30.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
cardinal96ss

Thanks all. Well I put a little more hydraulic fluid in, played with the battery a bit, and cussed. It works not but still hesitates at times. Maybe I left the slides out too long without moving them in and out. Don't know. I'm attributing it to the cussing.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
ChuckS

If it were mine I'd replace the resettable breaker regardless and I'd also download Lipperts PDF that shows you how TK service the gear packs for the hydraulic slides. Your troubles will only get worse if you do nothing.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide