Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
rcmike

A/c compresser not coming on but blows air

1 thermostat controls all 3 a/c units on trailer, bedroom and garage get nice cold air and you can go on top and hear compressor running on them, living room a/c blows air but not cold and compressor is not coming on. only 2 a/c units run at a time on coach per the way keystone wiring up the raptor 5th wheel TH line. I've replaced the a/c unit up top with another new unit and the thermostat and still have the same problem. a/c units are all 15k coleman units. zone 1 is living, zone 2 is front bedroom, zone 3 is garage. Does this sound like a ground or bad board that is actually up in the duct of each a/c unit. Just looking for some ideas on what may be the problem. Ill take to dealer at the end of summer because its liveable in the coach right now. Its just I don't want to lose the trailer for probably 3 to 5 weeks due to dealer backlog. yes ive already asked them probably how long they would have it. I got the extended warranty but just don't want to give it up with summer coming. I would just like the humming noise back on zone 1 a/c unit,,lol
Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Does it ever come on? My understanding is that the power management system will rotate between the three and keep 2 on at a time. My Impact has 2 separate thermostats so I can control them both. Bummer. Maybe the control board is bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:06 AM   #3
Racebug

Turn on only that zone and walk away for a half hour or so. I thought the same thing, but it took a long while for the management system to switch it on.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
rcmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
Turn on only that zone and walk away for a half hour or so. I thought the same thing, but it took a long while for the management system to switch it on.
tried that and was not the fix. By leaving it running ,zone 2, it actually makes the living area hotter .
Old 06-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
rcmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Does it ever come on? My understanding is that the power management system will rotate between the three and keep 2 on at a time. My Impact has 2 separate thermostats so I can control them both. Bummer. Maybe the control board is bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
The a/c unit comes on, yes, but the compressor inside the a/c unit never comes on. thx
Old 06-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
rcmike

After some checking on things and taking the cowling off the inside of the 3 Ac units in TH.....We could not figure out why the living room unit had the thermostat wires on freeze and the freeze sensor that's stuck in the coils was plugged into thermostat . so after all the volt
Testing and going back and forth on unit . we switched the wires and guess what,,,,, its blowing the coldest air this side of Canada. What a learning experience,and you could say I got more familiar with my trailer .... In hind site,,, how did this make it out of qc checks at keystone? Its all good to me, in still very happy with the unit and the stuff I've done to it....but I do now have a extra 15k a/c unit, new thermostat , and new control box,,,, roflmfao 😄

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Believe me when I say QC isn't just a Keystone factory issue. I don't think they plug in every unit and actually test AC output, not enough time.

Over the years, I have seen some things come in from the factory that makes you wonder if the QC people even looked at the unit.

Last week had a TSB for a Class A that involved switching two breakers so the three A/C units wouldn't draw off the same "side" of a 50A panel. Well as luck would have it, one of the AC load wires wasn't ever put into the breaker slot and tightened down.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote