Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Tbos

Trailer Wiring Fault notification?

On the way home yesterday my 2016 F350 displayed a trailer wiring fault notification twice. Each time it was when I was stopping or stopped at a light. The 1st time I pulled over, Checked the lights, unplugged and plugged back in, used the brake controller to see if it would hold the TT and it did. Reset the notice and went down the road. 2 hours later it did it again. Checked the brake controller again, reset the notice and arrived home an hour later. No problems stopping, etc... The truck's book says if the TT is connected it's the TT and there is possibly a short or the brakes are drawing too much current. I looked under the TT and see no signs of chafing. I cleaned the connectors. If TT is not connected it's the truck and take it to the dealer. Any ideas on what I should check and how? I have a big trip scheduled the end of June and don't want this to happen again far from home. Thanks.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have an amp gauge that will read DC find the break away switch. Then using the lead that goes to the brakes, clamp the meter on and pull the pin. Anything over about 14 amps might indicate a problem.

Last month we rolled a brand new trailer. Hooked the TV up in Bay 1, lights and brakes good. Pulled him out and brakes failed. Pulled hubs and found chaffed wire going to magnet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two probable causes for the Ford "brake system notice"...

First is the "wiggle" that occurs inside the pin/plug connection at the 7-way connector. The Truck is a BARGMANN connector and the trailer is a Peterson or Pollak connector. There is a very small difference in diameter of the male pins on the Peterson or Pollak. So when plugged up, vibrations will cause a "quick flicker" inside the connection and the Ford computer will pick it up as a "trailer fault"....

The fix can be as simple as "loading up the truck receptacle with di-electric grease or if that doesn't work, replace the trailer umbilical plug with the same brand as the truck.

The second and much less common cause is a loose connection jumper plug on the back side of the truck "dual purpose plug assembly". When you stand behind your truck you'll see a 7-way/4-way plug assembly. Get on a creeper, slide under your bumper and on the back side of that assembly you'll find another connector that plugs the truck wiring harness into the bumper assembly. Disconnect that connector, fill the female part with di-electric grease and reinstall.

One of these will fix your "Ford trailer fault" problem....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Tbos

I put dialectic in the plugs, including the one at the back of the trucks plug, this week and checked all the other connections. Had a short 40 mile trip with it and no issues. On 2 out of 3 previous longer trips We didn't have an issue either. I was unsuccessful in my attempt to measure current being pulled by the magnets. Taking it to a shop on Tues for them to check the brakes and repack the bearings. I'd do it myself but just don't have the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If, after they repack your bearings and check your brake magnets/wiring, you still have the fault light. go to a trailer supply store and buy a replacement trailer connector. BARGMANN brand is what's on the Ford truck and if you replace the trailer end with a Bargmann, I'd almost guarantee that you won't have any more problems.

Here's one of many discussions from "years gone by": http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ight=umbilical

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring