Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
cvizgo

Need Help Please

We left this morning for vacation. At our first rest area I noticed the camper leaning roughly an inch and a half to one side. I crawled underneath and noticed I have a sprung leaf spring. I'm now roughly 200 miles from home in Wisconsin Dells and need to make a repair. I'm confident I can make the repair but does anybody have any suggestions of shops in this area that I can purchase this part from? Has anyone had this issue before? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
2011 Keystone Passport 3050
cvizgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
trueweb

How many axles do you have? I had a leaf spring break a month ago on my 2-axle 5th wheel, it was frightening because the tire hit the bottom of the RV and nearly started a fire before I could stop.

I drove another 40 miles by lifting the camper on my Andersen ramp and wedging a 4x4 block of wood between the top of the axle and the frame.

I was fortunate that where I was going there were a lot of campers and someone actually had an exact replacement spring I was able to use to get home 2 days later.

If you use the block I've heard some people recommend using a ratcheting tie-down to hold it in place. The axle u-bolts where still on my axle and they locked mine in place quite well for the short drive.

Be very careful of the trailer brakes. Without the springs the axle can get pulled right out from under the camper. Drive slow and minimize your trailer brake use.

I hope you find a solution that will get you where you need to be.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
cvizgo

Thank goodness nothing has broke. Basically what I'm looking at is the leaf spring is flat. There's no bow on it left. As I look at it all parts are intact and look to be solid, it's just flat. Pretty weird looking.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
bobbecky

You probably have a broken leaf in the pack. A broken leaf can be very hard to see, sometimes a little rust mark will show on the edge where the break is, but you should use a lot of caution if you have to tow it.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
concours

We had a leaf go flat not broken on the left side which is the heaviest side. we took it easy all the way from Provo UT back to Canada. When we arrived home I had a local spring shop make up a set of quality springs all is good no sag from side to side etc. I would not just purchase another set of poor quality made in China springs.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Ron

Depending on the axle size, alot of your ranch and home type stores have axle parts, good luck....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
cvizgo

Thanks guys. I've got 3 calls out this weekend. It seems every where with trailer parts works M-F. I'm expecting 3 calls back tomorrow. I'm not leaving till Wednesday. So hopefully between Monday morning and then I can get the parts and have it repaired before I consider heading home. I'll keep you posted.