Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Kim

Wet Carpet in Slide Out

Hope you can help.
Raining here and the carpet in the main slide is a little more than damp just in the forward corner where the dinette is.
There is no leaks from the windows showing.
Where is the moisture coming from?
2013 cougar 318sab.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
trueweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Hope you can help.
Raining here and the carpet in the main slide is a little more than damp just in the forward corner where the dinette is.
There is no leaks from the windows showing.
Where is the moisture coming from?
2013 cougar 318sab.
In my case I had water coming from two locations that I was finally able to identify. One was the sealant at the seams near the walls and roof on the outside wall off the slide, there are plenty of pictures I posted showing how I fixed that.

The second was the internal, side, bulb seal. Water would wick behind the seals and run down the bulb seal, which should have just run out the bottom, however in my case the way the seal was cut it allowed water to wick up along the bottom of the seal and it would just get close enough to the carpet to get soaked up and once that started it just created a flow from the seal to the carpet.

It took some time in the rain with a flashlight and also using a hose in shower mode clamped to a ladder to simulate rain and find out exactly what was going on.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
theeyres

I had a similar issue and it was like Trueweb's--I think. Along the bottom of the side of the slide is piece of metal trim. That was letting water in. I removed it, applied new coiled sticky stuff-don't remember the name--re-attached the metal strip and no more leak.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Kim

Today, it was dry enough that I got up on the roof and noticed the flange (the picture frame around the outside slide body) in the forward top corner, where it meets the slide body had a small area not sealed where it meets the roofline.
I put some silicone on it after I cleaned it with a brush. Quite a bit of accumulated dirt there. So when it rains again I'll know if I got it.
I also noticed that the outside bulb-seal is worn through on the rear side where it meets the body when retracted. That is not a source of a leaks but Ill have to fix it eventually.
I am going to look at the bulb seals from underneath next.
Thanks for the tips.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318sab, carpet, cougar, floor, leak