Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
denverpilot

Nose cap leak?

Well, less than a year in, we were packing up tonight for one more trip before winterizing, and I noticed the center of the closet floor carpet in the nose cap is damp after a heavy downpour a few afternoons ago.

No other areas seem affected. No signs of a leak from above.

Seems to somehow be getting to the floor from somewhere inside the cap or maybe up at the seam between the cap and roof? Running down the outside of the interior wall perhaps?

Nothing seems " mushy " or otherwise bad, (yet) so maybe we caught this in time to find where it's getting in and seal it up.

Figured I'd throw it out there and ask if anyone else had seen this before and where your leak was.

Guess we'll be scheduling a visit to the dealer for repairs ...
Old 10-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
therink

Have you gone up on the roof and checked the caulk? Also the marker lights on the cap?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
JTCougar

Had the same thing happen to me on our 2014 Cougar. On inspecting the chalking at where the cap and the roof meets, was just a 1/2 inch slit that they missed with the chalking ... Fortunately under warranty and no mold or damage happened.
JTCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Yosemitebob

I've often thought about this problem with leaking around the cap. It seems that most complained leaks are the result of the front cap area. Perhaps this is because it is also the most flat area of the 5ver. When we level for storage, for camping it is leveled on that section as well. This gives water an opportunity where the roof seem meets the cap to pool, I've seen it do this when I'm washing the roof. So if there is the slightest hole in the caulking, water will find it. I reseal my cap once a year just as a maintenance rule. Perhaps I'm overdoing it, but time will tell.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
denverpilot

Dealer said they're backed up until January on Warranty work but happily said they'd take it into the shop in mid-November if I was paying for other upgrades.

(Which I do have a few in mind and was planning on doing anyway. But...)

Lovely state this biz is in. Any healthy biz, the manufacturer would absolutely fry them for that.

But... That said, I'm not going to complain or say who the dealer is, for fear of being shoved back down the list.

I think it's like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. Ha.

Same crap at the local tractor dealer. Four weeks to replace a tire this summer, but I don't have the tools to do the really big ones. Just have to grimace and wait.

54% of young Americans unemployed or under-employed but you can't find a service department of any big ticket items that isn't booked out months. Sigh.

Plus, January is cutting it way too close on the warranty claim, since we bought in February, and if Keystone even honors it... And...

We shall see...
Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
hayadam

nose cap leak

I had the same problem with my 2011 Cougar. I figured out that the rain gutters at the roof line were running down the side of the fifth wheel, and then making its way into the closet by means of the rubber seal on the bottom of the bedroom closet. I removed the rubber seal, calked it, re-installed, and then put extenders on the roof line rain gutter spouts. This seemed to do the trick.

Good luck
hayadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
denverpilot

Thanks hayadam. I think we've found the problem - the strip between the rubber roof and the cap is pulling off on one side for unknown reasons.

Now if we can just keep the precip down and the water out until the appointment in early November... Sigh.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're concerned with water intrusion before your appointment, you can get a "generic form" of Eternabond tape at Lowe's or HD and do a "semi-permanent" repair that will keep it completely waterproof until the service department removes it and repairs the area.

Or, possibly a large "blue tarp" tied over the nose of the RV? as long as you don't get condensation, that would protect it also.

Good Luck, and it's only a couple more weeks? Let's hope they don't park it outside in the lot for a couple of weeks waiting for authorization and along comes a "big rainy spell"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
denverpilot

Or snow. Ha. Big heavy wet snow...
Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

You would have to mention the "S" word, wouldn't you?????? <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
denverpilot

I know. I cringe when my weather radio says there's a frost warning up. We've had two already.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #12
outwest

@Denverpilot - You can also order eternabond tape through Amazon, tweety's (if I remember correctly) and several other places online. I keep some spare on hand just in case (along with some tubes of dicor), but being able to get it overnight from Amazon is very handy if you don't have lowe's or home depot nearby.

Old eternabond tape (it sounded like that's what you have that's coming up and needs replacing?) can be loosened and removed with the help of a heat gun, but keep it set pretty low and go slow and easy and dont let heat sit over one spot too long, otherwise, you can very easily mess up the roof membrane. Also, a plastic putty knife can be helpful, and you might want a rubber seam roller for when applying new.

Removing and replacing eternabond tape is a chore, but I did it myself on a rig (both front and rear caps) and I'm a bit challenged when it comes to construction and mechanical stuff. I did one cap one afternoon and the other the next afternoon. The biggest pain was applying the new strip by myself and getting it on straight, etc. because if it even barely touches itself or the roof, it's stuck on there (and gusts of wind were not at all helpful). Also need be careful to not stretch it any when peeling the protective layer off of the sticky side of the tape or when applying the tape.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #13
JayTee

Nose Cap Leak - Cougar 279RKS

We bought our 2014 Cougar 279RKS Fiver in May of 2014 and since there has been a drought in California the last couple of years we had no idea we had a problem. I washed the roof several times during the first six months of ownership and never noticed any leaks. Then in the early part of February 2015 we had about 3 or 4 days of downpours here in the Bay Area of NorCal. Since we weren't using the trailer during the rainstorms we didn't notice the leak until about 2 weeks later. The headboard and the lower part of the closet on the right side of the head of the bed was soaked. We were just sick! We had to wait 3 weeks to get it into our local dealer for the warranty work (we just dropped it off this morning). I guess we will find out soon how Keystone backs their products...fingers crossed.

Wish us LUCK,
JayTee
JayTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
bobbecky

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but in the Keystone manual, which for the most part is generally worthless, in the warranty section:

Warranty Exclusions - This Limited Warranty Shall Not Apply To:

Routine maintenance including, without limitation, caulking, re-caulking and waxing of the body of the recreational vehicle, tightening screws, brake squeak/lock-up/adjustment, latches, locks, combustion systems, changing fuses, or light bulbs, and maintaining the air conditioning and heating systems;
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but in the Keystone manual, which for the most part is generally worthless, in the warranty section:

Warranty Exclusions - This Limited Warranty Shall Not Apply To: ANYTHING

Routine maintenance including, without limitation, caulking, re-caulking and waxing of the body of the recreational vehicle, tightening screws, brake squeak/lock-up/adjustment, latches, locks, combustion systems, changing fuses, or light bulbs, and maintaining the air conditioning and heating systems;
There fixed it for ya...... (See above in red)