Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Bluewater

Need new AC unit...what's best.

Just found out I need a whole new AC unit for our 5er. Guess the 3 year old one has developed a leak in the system and they are not refillable. Is there one brand that seems to have less problems? Don't want to do this again in 3 years...thanks
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
WaltBennett

Who told you they are not refillable? Haven't had to have one refilled in a few years, but I've never been told that before. If it's low, there had to have been a leak and those are repairable and then the thing gets refilled.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Bob Landry

The unit may or may not have had a leak. It can be checked for correct freon charge by using a clamp-on amp meter. I won't go into the process here, but someone who claims to be a RV tech should know how to do it. It's the same for both Coleman and Dometic. If it does have low charge, then it does have a leak and that must be repaired, a service port sweated into the suction line and the unit recharged. Whether it's feasible to repair depends on where the leak is. If it's a matter of some tubing rubbing on something and wearing a pin hole, that's easily soldered and the unit should be saved. If it turns out to be in the coil or condenser, then you have to figure the cost of parts(high), and the shop labor rate($100+/hr) and decide from there. I usually recommend replacing the unit if the cost is going to exceed half the cost of a new one. Older units are not worth fixing, but I would certainly get a second opinion before trashing an AC that is only three years old.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Bluewater

Smile

Thanks Bob, they found out the compressor was shot so the repair cost was prohibited vs a new unit. We got er done and on the road again.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
mikell

Was the compressor shot or the starting cap. If it tried to start it's probably the cap especially if you have been somewhere with low voltage. The caps about $30 AND TAKES LESS THAN AN hour to swap out.

Just an FYI for all
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Was the compressor shot or the starting cap. If it tried to start it's probably the cap especially if you have been somewhere with low voltage. The caps about $30 AND TAKES LESS THAN AN hour to swap out.

Just an FYI for all
Not necessarily.. The compressor can lock up and trip the breaker.. I replace them all the time..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote