Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
therink

Installed Dexter EZ-Flex Suspension Mod

I just finished installing the Dexter Ez-Flex wet bolt kit on my fiver (well at least finished the first side). It took about 4 hours to do one side. I expect that the second side will take about 3 hours, now that I know what I am doing.
It was actually quite easy. The hardest part was safely jacking up and supporting the fiver. I hooked my truck to the hitch as an added safeguard against rolling.
The life saving tool was the ball joint press tool that was recommended in the forums. If I followed Dexters directions, I would still be out there scratching my head in the dark. Here are pics:

I will do the other side next weekend. I cant wait to see how it rides.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
f6bits

The kiddie pool also looks like a good method for holding up an axle.

Your pics make it look so easy. Remove the leaf spring and pivot bolts, then put the new stuff together? I think I’d save up my money and have a well-equipped shop do it. Anybody know how much labor would run?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
therink

I'm not sure what install would run, but my guess is around $400. The kit cost around $160 delivered from Dexter. Well worth the piece of mind.
If it wasn't for the kiddie pool, it definitely would have fallen. That would be my winter storage spot for the pool.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
campingcpl

We did ours a year or so back and was able to do it without any special tools. I used a small deepwell socket and a hammer to push out the plastic bushings and putting the new brass ones in was just as easy. It has made a big improvement when pulling the trailer on rougher roads. The biggest problem I had durring the install was I had a little bit of a bind on the axles and it made it hard to get the bolts back in the hangers. After fixing that it only took about 2 hours to do the other side.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
rjsurfer

Steve,

Great job.....

Any change in the ride height? my camper has always needed a bit of a lift.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Good job. It's worth the effort. I used the old bolts in the new bushings to drive out the plastic junk ... worked well and quickly for me. Follow directions about the location of the grease hole in the bolts for the spring ends as they will egg-shape slightly in time and make it hard to get grease in. ( Don't ask me how I know this.)

In my area, labor charges are over $100 an hour plus leaving the trailer until they decide to get around to it.

I had no change in ride height and was hoping for a little also.

You will notice a difference in the way it tows and I personally think it removes some stress from the trailer. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
hitchikerman

I just installed a set on our 311RLS Cougar and it was a bit challanging at times but with the help from a link with all the pics it was no problem...after that we took a trip (Michigan to Gatlinburg) and no problems...they worked great...I also had the tires balance since I read alot about those Mission tires and the issues with them but they worked great also...again two thumbs up on the Dexter E-Z Flex
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
therink

I can't yet tell if ride height changed, as I have only installed on one side. The other side next weekend. I was able to remove the old plastic bushings by twisting them with needle nose pliers. I put all grease holes on pins at the 3 o'clock position. Faced all zerk fittings inward.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
turbopilot51

I installed the same kit on my old tt last year. The modification made towing allot smoother and less jerky. My new fiver came with the kit from the factory. I would install it again in a heart beat. Good job!
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
KenBob

Installed The EZ flex on our Fuzion today. Triple axle. Two of us did it in 3 hours. With some help from others who have posted tips and tricks. More details on the install (no pics) in toyhauler section.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
f6bits

After reading through all of this, I was under my trailer yesterday and it finally dawned on me that my spread-axle setup is different than what you guys are modifying. Instead of the small pivot, I have at least a one-foot pivot arm connecting the leaf springs.

Dexter has the EZ-Flex available for 33” and 35” spacing, but mine’s gotta be at least 40”. So much for that. I guess I could install shocks, but that sounds even more complicated.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote