Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
Mastrblastr

Bullet 212 awning upgrade

Hey guys. I have a 2015 Bullet 212RBSWE with the very short 10’ awning. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to a 17’ for a year now and decided this was the time to get it done. After measuring it all out, I found I could move the lhs arm without moving the rhs, but I would be 1-5/16” shy of the 17’ needed to put a 17’ awning on. After measuring some more I found there was plenty of usable space on the roller tube to accommodate the awning with the shorter width between the arms. God hates a coward, so I bought a roller tube and awning and went to work! Pulled the old awning off and removed the lhs awning arm. Had to remove and reposition the rear clearance light to clear the repositioned lhs awning arm. Repositioned the old lhs arm and fastened it to the back end of the TT being 1-5/16 short of the 17’ mark. Used self tapping screws for the top mounts and trifold 3/16” rivets for the mid and lower mounts. It looked like this when I got everything moved.

I had already figured out that the factory stickers were cut to the edge of the factory awning arms and there would be a void where the original arm was. Came up with an idea to cover that up. I bought some 2” aluminum channel iron and drilled NUMEROUS holes in it at 2” centres. Welded on a piece of 1/8” aluminum flat bar the same size as the top of the awning arm. Before I repositioned the lhs awning arm I put the piece of aluminum channel back to back with the lhs arm and transferred all the hole locations from the lhs arm to the channel. Drilled out the channel and had an exact bolt (rivet) image of the lhs arm. Painted the channel black to match the awning arms and installed it on the trailer.

The wife is always complaining about me coming into the trailer with my muddy/wet jacket on after quadding or setting up the trailer, so I decided to build a fold up clothes hanger that would mount into the aluminum channel iron. With all the holes in the channel, you can position the hanger at any height you want, and any angle you want.

With the way I built the hanger and the brace, you can also store it into the channel, or remove them and store them in the trailer.

Happy wife, happy life! She got what she wanted, and I covered up the spot where the original arm was. WIN/WIN!
Had to cut 1-5/16” off the 17’ tube to fit properly so pulled out my miter saw and cut it off. Had to do a little grinding to make the groove in the end of the tube where the lhs end cap locates, but after that it was as simple as installing the end cap with the spring, drilling some 3/16” holes in the tube and riveting it in place. Tensioned the spring 9 turns and put a locking pin in to hold it in place. Rhs is simple. Got the awning installed and gave it a trial run. Had to tweak things a bit, but it is now operating as it should and I now have WAY more coverage to enjoy the outdoors rain or shine. Mixed up a whiskey and enjoyed my new awning! Keep safe guys! ����
Old 04-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Looks good !!!! Just be careful with that "dirty clothing rack" Sitting in front of the water heater exhaust, it could cause a problem if things "get heated"...

It's definitely time for an adult beverage after all that "thinking and doing"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
Mastrblastr

Definitely! That’s why I made it so you can adjust the height. I’m expecting it will mostly be used for dish towels and washcloths, but I will be careful when I hang my jacket there!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
WNY Bullet

It came out great! I love the idea of the channel there, you can use it for many different applications. Enjoy!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, bullet, upgrade