Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

New Ram 3500 6.4 first tow impressions

As you may know I bought a new Ram 3500 while in FL at the end of the year. I had been looking long and hard for an the 6.4L, SB, CC, 4.10 for quite some time..it was an elusive animal. Finally found one in Tallahassee while there but it included lots of things I didn't want (Laramie, leather and lots of "nannies") - but it had the drivetrain. Another thread is running about gas vs diesel, and this will touch on that, but didn't want to hijack that.

I had wanted the 6.4L 1 ton with the 8 speed and 4.10 to carry what had determined would be our next trailer; a Cougar 315rls; gvw about 12.5. I knew the truck would have no problem. But....we have a new Montana High Country waiting and it's NOT a Cougar weight wise.

The truck; the truck with the 6.4L, 8 speed and 4.10 is light years better than the 2014 with the same engine, 3.73 and 6 speed....light years. It tows the trailer so much better and without all the up and down from the engine. A GREAT change...but,

The trailer probably weighing in at 9500 (didn't scale after adding all the "stuff" from FL) and a bed full of "other stuff" probably coming in at 500 did not pose a problem for the new truck. Figure 10k + for load plus DW, me and puppy plus a cab full of stuff...just figure on the high side for 10.5?

The 8 speed and 4.10 make all the difference in the world towing; holding speed, climbing hills, no screaming engine etc. Downside is it ran about 1 mpg. less than the old truck with 3.73/6.4...but it could never find the right gear and loved to "scream" up the hills..not with the new tranny and 4.10. I will add that the 1st day was great traveling, days 2-3 had nothing but high winds either quartering to the front or a straight headwind at about 30 mph (yes, we were back in TX). Worst mileage I've ever had from a 6.4 towing at 7.5mpg (computer).

Empty the engine, tranny, ration combo is just pure delight...purely. Runs great and the way the engine sounds with the quick shifts is music to MY ears. Mileage empty is just about what I got with the 6 speed/3.73.

THE ISSUE; and one I hate to even discuss here, is the fact that the gas engine has a limitation. With what I tow now the engine/tranny combo is perfect. The new 5vr (brought on by DWs desire for a washer/dryer - of which I've pointed out....at great cost) will come in at about 13k loaded as I intend to. That's quite a bit more than what I have now and I'm not really comfortable that this new truck will perform like I want it to. That is yet to be seen. But, I know how this works.

I've told DW multiple times of my worries about the new truck pulling the new, BIGGER 5th wheel, caused by her desire for the full size washer/dryer; and? She said this evening....I know you're going to get a diesel....and all I was doing was pointing out what I thought might be a problem with the bak flip bed cover!! Progress? Not sure since I've never wanted a diesel in my wildest dreams, but it may be a necessity now....thanks DW!!

Just an update on the new truck and drivetrain...and, maybe a window to those that don't understand, or think, that constantly upgrading vehicles can happen. If I get the diesel it will be 2 new trucks in a few months....and as so many keep saying....WHAT? I'm not saying it...…!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:05 AM   #2
notanlines

Danny, you're too damned old to drive something that you don't really care for, or a truck that 'just doesn't quite do it for you.' We have a good friend who lives in Titusville, retired from GM. His 2019 2500 lasted four weeks until the 2020's hit the market. He laughs at himself, knows his original choice was wrong and just enjoys his new ride. His wife of 50 years just smiles and knows that he'll do those things on occasion.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Just chillin

Danny I would let you take Mine for a test drive but I don’t have a fifth wheel hitch in the back of it. You could hook it to your travel trailer and do a comparison that way but it really wouldn’t be like pulling that fifth wheel.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

"....Not sure since I've never wanted a diesel in my wildest dreams, but it may be a necessity now....thanks DW!!..."

Blame it on the DW! (just don't let her hear it!)
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
gearhead

I would give the 6.4 a fair chance at pulling the 5th. Maybe pull up towards Santa Fe or even Chama.
Doesn't Ram specify an unusual viscosity of Pennzoil for that motor? I would follow their specs.
edit add: ^this from someone who bought 3 trucks in 6 years.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
Firewall

So far I am happy with the 6.4. Would I like a diesel, yes! My reservations are the maintenance, not because I think diesels require more but because I just would not use it enough. My current truck is 15 months old and has a whopping 5300 miles on it, obviously it's used mainly to tow.

I've been up and down the bigger hills here on the east coast and it does fine. I don't recall going below 65mph but it may have. The engine is loud but it gets the job done. Someday I will probably get a diesel but for now the 6.4 is just fine!

Also never thought I would own a Dodge, but the price was right and I would have no issues getting another one!
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I would give the 6.4 a fair chance at pulling the 5th. Maybe pull up towards Santa Fe or even Chama.
Doesn't Ram specify an unusual viscosity of Pennzoil for that motor? I would follow their specs.
edit add: ^this from someone who bought 3 trucks in 6 years.
Danny, which Montana HC are you looking at?
Gearhead, May have a point, that 6.4 do fine with the HC, if you really don’t want a diesel. I will say a 6.7 Aisin will make it easier.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
Laredo Tugger

Danny.
I had the same problem awhile back, except I was towing my fifth wheel (which has a max of 13K,actual weight 12380) with a F250 gasser. The gasser pulled it, but I could tell it didn't like it. I found my 3500 at a dealer about 2 hours away and traded the gasser. No question the diesel is superior in towing.
I am very happy with "the balance" I have in the weights on axles and ratings.
If I decide to go to a larger (heavier) trailer I would seriously have to consider a DRW. Just based on what I have learned on this forum.
Your combo sounds pretty close in weight to mine and you should be fine with any of the Big 3 350/3500 SRW packages. My TV is the Tradesman trim and has a little more payload than the dressed out models.
Good luck,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
So far I am happy with the 6.4. Would I like a diesel, yes! My reservations are the maintenance, not because I think diesels require more but because I just would not use it enough. My current truck is 15 months old and has a whopping 5300 miles on it, obviously it's used mainly to tow.

I've been up and down the bigger hills here on the east coast and it does fine. I don't recall going below 65mph but it may have. The engine is loud but it gets the job done. Someday I will probably get a diesel but for now the 6.4 is just fine!

Also never thought I would own a Dodge, but the price was right and I would have no issues getting another one!
When I retired a couple years ago I had concerns with the little milage I was putting on the diesel. I "exercise" it weekly when we visit our oldest daughter about 45 mins away. If we don't go there then I'll run it for a good 1/2 hr and take a drive with the dog. Haven't had any issues thus far.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
goducks

I had a 12 CTD prior to my 2018 2500 6.4, 4.10 gears. Loved the CTD but hated the diesel life. Always felt like I was not treating it right as I never hardly got it up to normal temps as I'm retired and only do short hops. I found it money adverse needing to go drive it longer distances to say I was treating it right.
Why waste fuel for know reason other than to get the truck warm. I found myself in the winter needing to go the long way to go a short ways.
With the gas 6.4 all that unnecessary driving is a thing of the past.
IMO if you can treat it right and really need it the paying the extra $9000+ is worth it.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If I get the diesel it will be 2 new trucks in a few months....and as so many keep saying....WHAT? I'm not saying it...…!!
I'm gonna say it! Told you so! You've held out quite gracefully, but deep down you knew! All kidding aside, you won't regret it. Have fun building it!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks folks. Running around trying to get all the "foo fahs" added to the trailer, working with a title company to sell our mountain property, RAIN! and trying to empty the camper...a pain, but in reality, fun.

I am going to give this new 3500 6.4 a whirl with the new trailer. It is a Montana High Country 331RL. I'm not worried about it "pulling" it normally; I'm pretty worried about high altitudes and grades. The same engine with a 3.73 6 speed held well in 6% grades...but that is with less than 10k behind it. That will change to I figure 13k. Again, the 4.10 and 8 speed is a game changer....to a point; I just don't know what that point is...yet.

We like going S in the winter. We used to love winter time, cold weather and snow. Too many things hurt now. In summer we used to love our house in the mountains because it was always cool but we are selling it. We are now choosing "new directions" for what we want to do. We truly love mountains, streams, trout fishing and CO so the truck will have to be up to the task.

It seems strange to me to be retired for 14 years and now be "changing directions" in what you want to do, but, grandgirls are almost fully grown (out of college) and the rest of the family has their own family priorities. DW and I have been best friends since we were 14. I figure it's time we just go out and do "what feels right" for travel vs always trying to visit/take care of family....hence, new truck(s), new RV(s), divesting of all the "old" things and heading in a new direction; Whew! Sorry. Been cooped in a truck for 4 days, dealing with getting a new RV set up and getting closing docs done today. Feels like we're falling into an abyss but it also feels pretty exciting and we can't wait to plan out some other path for the next page.

I truly appreciate every comment anyone has made about this and I can tell you that I have no idea if I will get a diesel....but I have a feeling. Best of all, until the washer/dryer mandate, DW was adamantly against the cost of a diesel (as was I) but we seem to be in harmony on that if I call that shot....that ain't a bad thing!!
Old 03-05-2020, 12:18 AM   #13
Big1

You might be surprise on how it tow, I had a 2500 2016 6.4L hemi with the 4.10 gear it did tow my 12,000 lbs fiver very well, but the one thing that I didn't like were the high rpm and the gas mileage. The 2500 tow it very good, we tow our fiver from WA to NV, so try it first and if you don't like it trade it.

I know I had a 2017 2500 ctd and trade it in for a 2018 1 ton so now I'm happy I did it wish I could have did it earlier but hey that's life.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:50 AM   #14
busterbrown

There is high probability that RAM will be moving away from the Aisin 6 speed in their HD lineup and going forward with a ZF 8 speed or Allison 9 speed in the next iteration of powerplant improvements. If I were looking to migrate up to a RAM diesel, I would cautiously wait for this to play out and then make a buying decision.

Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Well, picked up the HC today. Very apprehensive since we had the mandatory 25mph W TX headwind (did great pulling the Cougar in with the wind at our back). I had/have the part for the SumoSprings page sitting on the desktop looking at me figuring it would be a must; I've built/priced new diesel 1 tons for days figuring I would be making that leap. But...

Got the Andersen installed and it looked good. Dropping the pin onto the hitch I figured the Ram would really squat...it didn't. It was less than with the bumper pull on the back - I was, and am, astonished (of course it is empty). When we were done and I was taking off I figured the RV (btw it is HUGE behind the truck vs the Cougar) would drag the gas truck down so bad we might not make it out of the parking lot; wrong again. It wasn't much worse than with the Cougar and that was a perfect combo IMO. The wind did make a difference somewhat but on level ground with the headwind it was fine; running around 2600 rpm at 65mph vs 2400 rpm with the Cougar. The mid size hills coming home did make it drop down and hit 3500 rpm but it didn't strain there and had to let it drop out or it would get too fast. I figure long mountain grades will make it work pretty hard - but I'm going to wait and see before I switch trucks. I will say that the gas gauge seems to drop perceptibly as I look at it. I didn't even want to try to figure the mileage but I'm sure it is about 7....which may be a reason to consider a diesel anyway. I'm going to post a pic of the combo on another thread as I believe I recall someone on this forum saying something like "without a picture it ain't real"..
Old 03-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats!! Welcome to the wonderful world of fifth wheel towing. So much nicer than bumper pull IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Danny enjoy yourself with the new rig. With the low gearing you'll be able to "pull off the lot" just fine. Hills will create more noise with higher r.p.m. and gas milage will of course be lower (higher r.p.m. = lower m.p.g.). A slightly lower cruise speed may be necessary to find that "sweet spot".

As far as trading in for a diesel I'd wait a while and feel it out. You've got the truck the "damage is done" as far as depreciation so waiting a year won't really matter.

Relax, enjoy, have fun, and looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #18
Brantlyj

I’m not surprised that you had no problem pulling it. I posted a picture the other day with a full grain wagon weighing roughly 23,000 lbs. engine had no problem. When I had an F-150 I also pulled another grain wagon weighing about 15,000 lbs. again the truck didn’t strain at all.
I don’t make it a point to overload often but my point is, the drivetrains are far more capable than what the DOT weight ratings restrict us to. 4.10 gears just seal the deal. Diesel might have been the ideal way to go but I would t take the financial hit trading off a new truck.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:54 AM   #19
Vet4jdc

Glad you got the MHC331. It's been a long time coming. We do tow ours with a diesel and don't have any regrets. Mileage is around 9 - 10 depending on speed.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Danny enjoy yourself with the new rig. With the low gearing you'll be able to "pull off the lot" just fine. Hills will create more noise with higher r.p.m. and gas milage will of course be lower (higher r.p.m. = lower m.p.g.). A slightly lower cruise speed may be necessary to find that "sweet spot".

As far as trading in for a diesel I'd wait a while and feel it out. You've got the truck the "damage is done" as far as depreciation so waiting a year won't really matter.

Relax, enjoy, have fun, and looking forward to seeing the pictures!
X2
Give the 6.4 a chance strong gas engine, if it isn’t a good feeling after a Couple rows, then think about the diesel option.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow