Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not to mention it takes about 500 gallons of water through the fw tank to get the taste of that 3 gallons rinsed out.
Yeahp, For you and me, that's a primary reason why adding antifreeze to the FWT is a BAD IDEA.... for some others, who either have no taste buds left or just don't care, it may not be a reason to avoid pink stuff in drinking water.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Count me in on the adding pink stuff to the fresh water tank is in "bad taste".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #23
Newback

JRTJH,
You made some great points and I didn’t take any of that as criticism.
Newback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #24
Newback

I do make coffee with our fresh water, but we generally use bottled water for drinking. And with the coffee/brushing teeth, we haven’t noticed any difference in taste. We do flush the fresh tank a few times after winterizing. But wouldn’t the antifreeze in the water lines also cause ‘bad taste’?
Old 10-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newback View Post
I do make coffee with our fresh water, but we generally use bottled water for drinking. And with the coffee/brushing teeth, we haven’t noticed any difference in taste. We do flush the fresh tank a few times after winterizing. But wouldn’t the antifreeze in the water lines also cause ‘bad taste’?
Thanks for the comments. As for aftertaste from antifreeze, both PEX and the FW tank are made from polyethylene. The PEX lines are HDPE and the FW tank is low density roto-cast polyethylene. The PEX lines don't absorb the "off flavor ingredients" from the RV antifreeze, but the polyethelene fresh water tank because of the type of polyethylene, does tend to absorb the odor and aftertaste...

Also, not sure if you're old enough to have "regular colonoscopies" yet, but the main ingredient in RV antifreeze is either ethanol (a poison used to "dilute" gasoline) or Polyethylene glycol, the same ingredient that's used in bowel cleansing (Mira-Lax)... Honestly, I don't want to drink either. One will kill you and the other will make you wish you would just go ahead and die.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
Gegrad

I do the FW tank method too... but you have to sanitize the FW system in the spring regardless if you put it in the tank or not, so there is no time savings in the spring. There is, however, significant time savings in the fall by dumping it in the FW tank. And yes, my trailer is flat level and I use about 6 gallons of antifreeze in there and run the pump through until it is as pink as the bottle.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
I do the FW tank method too... but you have to sanitize the FW system in the spring regardless if you put it in the tank or not, so there is no time savings in the spring. There is, however, significant time savings in the fall by dumping it in the FW tank. And yes, my trailer is flat level and I use about 6 gallons of antifreeze in there and run the pump through until it is as pink as the bottle.
How much time do you save by pouring 6 bottles of antifreeze glugging down the hose vs letting the pump suck in 3 gals.?
Old 10-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #28
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How much time do you save by pouring 6 bottles of antifreeze glugging down the hose vs letting the pump suck in 3 gals.?
Considering it would take me an hr+ (or more) to move the mattress, uncover the pump, disconnect the pump, then go through all that, quite a bit. Not to mention reconnecting the pump and increasing the risk of leakage, quite a bit.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Considering it would take me an hr+ (or more) to move the mattress, uncover the pump, disconnect the pump, then go through all that, quite a bit. Not to mention reconnecting the pump and increasing the risk of leakage, quite a bit.
You could do this once & plumb in a system of a couple valves & length of hose, with the $$ you spent on the extra 3-4 gallons of af that just sits in the tank, to use the pump easily the next several years.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:59 AM   #30
Newback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Also, not sure if you're old enough to have "regular colonoscopies" yet, but the main ingredient in RV antifreeze is either ethanol (a poison used to "dilute" gasoline) or Polyethylene glycol, the same ingredient that's used in bowel cleansing (Mira-Lax)... Honestly, I don't want to drink either. One will kill you and the other will make you wish you would just go ahead and die.....
At 50 years old I have been through that procedure, not fun. I'll check the "non-toxic" anti-freeze I am buying from Walmart and see what the ingredients are. I also failed to mention earlier that almost all of our trips involve full hookup sites, so were rarely have to use the FWT.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newback View Post
At 50 years old I have been through that procedure, not fun. I'll check the "non-toxic" anti-freeze I am buying from Walmart and see what the ingredients are. I also failed to mention earlier that almost all of our trips involve full hookup sites, so were rarely have to use the FWT.
If you use the fw pump to flush the commode while on the road then you've run the antifreeze treated water thru the lines. Like Traveling Texan suggested converting the pump for a couple of bucks one time I think would offset the cost of the extra antifreeze, and the extra time and water to thoroughly flush out that fw tank. Bit that's me, it's your camper and you have to judge that for yourself.

Tags
storage, winter