Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Tool kit

Was debating on putting this in the repair forum. Not really sure which is more appropriate.

I needed a tool kit for the new trailer. I didn’t want to spend a ton but didn’t want crap either *cough*craftsman*cough*. Anyways, found this kit at Lowe’s. I have heard good things about the Kobalt line and while I wouldn’t do any engine rebuilding it’s a pretty full kit for $99.

I love that it includes a bag. I’ve owned many plastic clam shell style tool kits and the first hot day in the grinch warps them enough that when you open it everything falls out. The bag has several different sized pockets around the inside where I stashed some of the smaller stuff so you don’t have to totally dump it out. Sockets are on a socket holder strip. There are pockets around the outside perimeter as well. Perfect spot to keep my water regulator.

Within the first 30 minutes after I opened it up I had to use the tool of persuasion aka hammer to tap in a c-clip I found loose on the awning.

If anyone is interested I suppose I could make a short video tour of sorts

I’m sure all the seasoned rv’er already have a tool kit but thought this might help any other newbies such as myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC310A4F-795E-4A11-B6EA-595D90222DCD.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	23944  
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

That looks good to cover most of the basics. One of my contractors uses strictly Kobalt and he said he thinks they're great (his contractor acct. is at Lowes also). I've got some Kobalt stuff and they work OK.

If you don't have one or more, get you a torque wrench(s) for lugs and such (along with the associated sockets). I couldn't live without a multimeter or cordless drill. Get either a couple of #2 Roberts square screwdrivers or the driver heads that go on a multi tool or drill (don't like them on a powered tool because they strip so easily in the thin material of the RV).

In the shop I've got all my Snap On roller cabinets but I used to always carry hard cases for my tools, sockets etc. Well, determined that didn't work so well when I found one of the plastic tool boxes in the bed of my truck 1/2 full of water and all the tools encrusted in rust. Sat in the bed of the truck in FL for a couple of months unused....with the locking hard cover down. How it happened I have no idea. No leaks in the bed (in it every day) so the only thing I could figure was condensation, but still don't know how that happened - it was a black box though. Now, I've got various tool BAGS along with one new "weatherproof/waterproof" plastic tool box - we'll see.

Good luck on the tool acquisitions and thanks for sharing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That looks good to cover most of the basics. One of my contractors uses strictly Kobalt and he said he thinks they're great (his contractor acct. is at Lowes also). I've got some Kobalt stuff and they work OK.

If you don't have one or more, get you a torque wrench(s) for lugs and such (along with the associated sockets). I couldn't live without a multimeter or cordless drill. Get either a couple of #2 Roberts square screwdrivers or the driver heads that go on a multi tool or drill (don't like them on a powered tool because they strip so easily in the thin material of the RV).

In the shop I've got all my Snap On roller cabinets but I used to always carry hard cases for my tools, sockets etc. Well, determined that didn't work so well when I found one of the plastic tool boxes in the bed of my truck 1/2 full of water and all the tools encrusted in rust. Sat in the bed of the truck in FL for a couple of months unused....with the locking hard cover down. How it happened I have no idea. No leaks in the bed (in it every day) so the only thing I could figure was condensation, but still don't know how that happened - it was a black box though. Now, I've got various tool BAGS along with one new "weatherproof/waterproof" plastic tool box - we'll see.

Good luck on the tool acquisitions and thanks for sharing.
I actually do have a very extensive tool collection. I went to a tech college and it was a requirement as well as acquiring more over the last 22 years.

I do have a spare electric drill that will now reside in the trailer. I bought the socket for the stabilizer jacks. I need to get an individual socket for the anode and I still need to get a pocket multimeter.

I was just pretty excited about my toolkit find and needed to tell people that would appreciate such. I just got an eye roll from the wife.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Northofu1

I have the Milwaukee pack out, I cary the two top boxes in truck, along with that my must have cordless Milwaukee 1/2" drive impact gun, and a full set of impact sockets. Bottle Jack, 4 safety stands and a hefty pry bar. Only thing I had to buy for roadside spring replacement were the 2 - 3 ton stands.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I actually do have a very extensive tool collection. I went to a tech college and it was a requirement as well as acquiring more over the last 22 years.

I do have a spare electric drill that will now reside in the trailer. I bought the socket for the stabilizer jacks. I need to get an individual socket for the anode and I still need to get a pocket multimeter.

I was just pretty excited about my toolkit find and needed to tell people that would appreciate such. I just got an eye roll from the wife.
Thanks for sharing. There are lots of new folks looking to find that "just right" tool set and this just might be the ticket for them. As far as DW...she doesn't get me getting wound up over my "new tool find" either.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
jsb5717

Quote:
Over the years I've added more and more tools to what I carry in the 5er. My wife, also, has wondered why I need so many tools .

On one trip our travelling partners had a suspension shackle break. With my tools we were able to fix it fairly easily. That's when she finally admitted..."OK, I guess I get it". There have been many other times when having just the right tools has made a field repair for me or someone else much easier. She doesn't complain anymore...And no eye rolls

Too many tools? HA!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I have the Milwaukee pack out, I cary the two top boxes in truck, along with that my must have cordless Milwaukee 1/2" drive impact gun, and a full set of impact sockets. Bottle Jack, 4 safety stands and a hefty pry bar. Only thing I had to buy for roadside spring replacement were the 2 - 3 ton stands.
Same, love my 1/2 Fuel impact gun with a set of Harbor Freight impact sockets.

I also have an “electrical” bag now with multi meter, all crimpers and cutter etc.

Viair 12volt compressor as well.

One cool tool I use all the time, Crescent makes a wrench that sockets go in the end. The jaws are reversible as well. I can’t believe how much I use it, on the road and I the house. Just fixed the home toilet with it
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Same, love my 1/2 Fuel impact gun with a set of Harbor Freight impact sockets.

I also have an “electrical” bag now with multi meter, all crimpers and cutter etc.

Viair 12volt compressor as well.

One cool tool I use all the time, Crescent makes a wrench that sockets go in the end. The jaws are reversible as well. I can’t believe how much I use it, on the road and I the house. Just fixed the home toilet with it
Is this what your talking about? Looks interesting. Might have to pick one up.

Crescent 11 Pc. Pass-Thru X6 Black Oxide Adjustable Wrench and Spline Socket Set - CPTAW8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BCN60T8..._iMGMDbXWGRF7Q
Old 10-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Is this what your talking about? Looks interesting. Might have to pick one up.

Crescent 11 Pc. Pass-Thru X6 Black Oxide Adjustable Wrench and Spline Socket Set - CPTAW8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BCN60T8..._iMGMDbXWGRF7Q
Yep that’s it. It goes everywhere with me.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

A man or woman ( trying hard to be PC) can never have too many tools. Even if you have to leave one of the kids home, take as many tools as you have room for. With a RV, what can go wrong, will go wrong. Be prepared, but leave room for adult beverages.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
A man or woman ( trying hard to be PC) can never have too many tools. Even if you have to leave one of the kids home, take as many tools as you have room for. With a RV, what can go wrong, will go wrong. Be prepared, but leave room for adult beverages.
Human, wait has man in it. Male, Female , wait has Male in it. Mankind, wait has man in it.

Everyone! Whew glad I figured out how to be all “inclusive”
Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
KSH

You would just say "one could never have enough tools."
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
You would just say "one could never have enough tools."
Exactly. It’s like learning a new language.

Tool wise, I do love my Milwaukee 12v stuff. Impact, screw driver, drill, hack saw and I even have the heated vest for cold mornings. So many sockets and other attachments to get jobs done. I don’t use many hand tools if these can reach the nut/screw
Old 10-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #14
FlyingAroundRV

When I was in the airforce, we had toolboxes with styrofoam sheets in the drawers that had custom depressions cut out for each tool. It was immediately obvious if a tool was missing, left on the bench, or worse in an aircraft.
Since then I always look for a tool kit that is like that. I never lose tools anymore. The set that I have in the trailer is from HF and cost about $50. They are el-cheapo tools, but I don't plan on doing any heavy maintenance on my rig. I keep the set in the passthru storage out of the weather so no chance of getting waterlogged in the back of the truck.
If anyone is interested, the set I got has 4 drawers with all the tools in blow molded depressions.
https://www.harborfreight.com/105-pi...-kit-4030.html
As others have said, I also have a cordless drill, a volt/ohmmeter, drill bits, torque wrench, jack stands, hacksaw, a pancake compressor, battery charger with 100 amp boost capability and various other odds and ends like tape measure etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	23957  
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
When I was in the airforce, we had toolboxes with styrofoam sheets in the drawers that had custom depressions cut out for each tool. It was immediately obvious if a tool was missing, left on the bench, or worse in an aircraft.
Since then I always look for a tool kit that is like that. I never lose tools anymore. The set that I have in the trailer is from HF and cost about $50. They are el-cheapo tools, but I don't plan on doing any heavy maintenance on my rig. I keep the set in the passthru storage out of the weather so no chance of getting waterlogged in the back of the truck.
If anyone is interested, the set I got has 4 drawers with all the tools in blow molded depressions.
https://www.harborfreight.com/105-pi...-kit-4030.html
As others have said, I also have a cordless drill, a volt/ohmmeter, drill bits, torque wrench, jack stands, hacksaw, a pancake compressor, battery charger with 100 amp boost capability and various other odds and ends like tape measure etc.
I've talked several guys that said "I wouldn't buy that HF crap!".
If I were a professional knuckle buster I wouldn't buy them either, but for all the maintenance I will be doing now & in the future they're more than adequate. They actually have a better warranty than Craftsman nowadays, bend it or break it, take it back they'll replace it, NO questions ask.
With the tools I have onboard there's not much I couldn't do along side the road if necessary. My son has already inherited a garage full if I need more.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
Northofu1

Quote:
Yep that’s it. It goes everywhere with me.
You can't beat Crescent or Channel Lock brand.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
Northofu1

Quote:
Human, wait has man in it. Male, Female , wait has Male in it. Mankind, wait has man in it.

Everyone! Whew glad I figured out how to be all “inclusive”
Homosapien

Old 10-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've talked several guys that said "I wouldn't buy that HF crap!".
If I were a professional knuckle buster I wouldn't buy them either, but for all the maintenance I will be doing now & in the future they're more than adequate. They actually have a better warranty than Craftsman nowadays, bend it or break it, take it back they'll replace it, NO questions ask.
With the tools I have onboard there's not much I couldn't do along side the road if necessary. My son has already inherited a garage full if I need more.
Danny:
Yep, have heard the same things about my el-cheapo tool kit. I agree that if I was using the tools professionally, I wouldn't look at them either. Snap-On is my fave brand when it comes to tools, and they come to you. I used to be a knuckle buster in a previous life.
As for my el-cheapo tools, they go along quite well with my el-cheapo trailer.

We bought an el-cheapo trailer and we can get into every campground a $100,000 Class A diesel pusher can get into and see exactly the same things at a fraction of the purchase price. Not that I'm knocking the big expensive rigs. I'd have one too if I had that kind of cash to spare. But that's another thread's worth of discussion.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
Logan X

I keep most of my general tools in a Weatherguard toolbox in the bed of my truck and I keep my trailer specific tools in a 3 drawer toolbox in the front pass through. I recently got a Makita impact wrench for my birthday and it has brought a significant amount of joy to changing a tire.

I relish the moments when I make my wife roll her eyes at me...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C585668D-56B5-40B4-871A-86253A7BE473.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	23960  
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote