Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
deer30084

Can I get on the roof?

I want to cover my 2018 Passport 2520RL with an Adco cover. Can I get on the roof to roll it out? Opinions please. Thank you.
deer30084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Pull the plastic flange from the roof vent in the bathroom. Look at the OSB "roof decking" to determine how thick it is. It will probably be 1/4" or 3/8" OSB decking. Next get on a scale and weigh yourself. Then make a determination on whether your personal weight can be supported if you're careful where you step on the trailer roof structure.

To answer a question, "Can I walk on the roof of my Passport?" doesn't give nearly enough information to answer the question. If you're 155 pounds the answer will be significantly different than if you're 355 pounds.

It all boils down to being careful, following the manufacturer's recommendations, (yes if it's 3/8", no if it's 1/4"), does it have a roof ladder? (yes, probably OK to walk on the roof, no ladder, stay off the roof) and the size of the person who is going to be walking around up there. Sometimes what's OK for one owner is "definitely foolish" for another.....

What did your dealer say when you asked the question?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Passports do not have a walkable roof. They are built to be light weight and that includes the roof decking.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
busterbrown

The ultralight line of Keystone trailers specifically Passports and Bullets are endorsed by the manufacturer as non-walkable due to the nature of the decking construction. As already mentioned, it is highly discouraged to walk extemporaneously on a roof with very thin decking material. The Bullet roofs are 1/4" thick so I would assume that would carry over to the Passport line.

If an owner takes special precautions, walking on the roof can be done without incident or damage. First, an owner can use padded pieces of plywood (or 2" thick polystyrene foam board) to lay across the rafters that span across the roof line. This will spread weight evenly across the "supportive" roof structure under the decking material. My wife and I have been up on my Bullet's roof simultaneously for cleaning and inspection purposes as well as to install new vent covers and MaxxAir vent fan. The roof felt solid as long as we stayed on the 2x4ft and 4x4ft pieces of foam board.

Also, remember to stand directly on the support rafters. You can tell where they are based from the framing of the vent openings and AC unit.

Remember, if a thin roof ultralight can hold hundreds of lbs (possibly over a 1000 lbs) of snow on the roof decking during the winter months in the northern states, it should be able to support a 250 lb person with proper preparation. Just limit the number of somersaults when omo there.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The ultralight line of Keystone trailers specifically Passports and Bullets are endorsed by the manufacturer as non-walkable due to the nature of the decking construction. As already mentioned, it is highly discouraged to walk extemporaneously on a roof with very thin decking material. The Bullet roofs are 1/4" thick so I would assume that would carry over to the Passport line.

If an owner takes special precautions, walking on the roof can be done without incident or damage. First, an owner can use padded pieces of plywood (or 2" thick polystyrene foam board) to lay across the rafters that span across the roof line. This will spread weight evenly across the "supportive" roof structure under the decking material. My wife and I have been up on my Bullet's roof simultaneously for cleaning and inspection purposes as well as to install new vent covers and MaxxAir vent fan. The roof felt solid as long as we stayed on the 2x4ft and 4x4ft pieces of foam board.

Also, remember to stand directly on the support rafters. You can tell where they are based from the framing of the vent openings and AC unit.

Remember, if a thin roof ultralight can hold hundreds of lbs (possibly over a 1000 lbs) of snow on the roof decking during the winter months in the northern states, it should be able to support a 250 lb person with proper preparation. Just limit the number of somersaults when omo there.
I have toured the factory for all Keystone lines and yes, Bullets and Passports use the same type of roof decking. The way you describe working on the roof to spread the load is one way to make it work. Personally I would use the pink foam boards from Lowe’s/Home Depot. They are very light, easy to move and will not cause any damage to the roof if accidentally dropped or if a corner catches.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
deer30084

Thank all of you for your replies. No, it does not have a ladder. My wife recalls the dealer stating they do not install aftermarket ladders because you're not to go on the roof if the factory didn't install one. But, when we bought the unit, we had the dealer install the MaxAir vent covers. When we got home I noticed footwear impressions on the roof. So I know some technician was on the roof. I am 205 lbs. I wil look for the pink foam boards from Lowe's/Home Depot. I did install the Adco cover from the side of the unit using a 10' step ladder and pushed the big roll from the front of the unit on the roof to the back with a stick. I had to go back and forth from side to side with the step ladder. Yes, yes, a helper on the other side would have made things easier. It was a pain in the @$%#! That's why I posted the question. Thanks again for all of your responses.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

A 12' ladder seems to be more appropriate for placing on the side of the roof of an RV. I bought one of these (or very similar) and love it; stores easily in my pass through storage which may have more space than yours (5th wheel).

https://www.amazon.com/Luisladders-A...scoping+ladder
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
A 12' ladder seems to be more appropriate for placing on the side of the roof of an RV. I bought one of these (or very similar) and love it; stores easily in my pass through storage which may have more space than yours (5th wheel).

https://www.amazon.com/Luisladders-A...scoping+ladder
This is the same ladder I've got. It works great, just be careful lowering it, it'll pinch your thumbs and hurts like hell..... I bought a "foam pool noodle" at the dollar store, cut it in half and split it down one side. I use it as a cushion on the ladder so it doesn't sit "metal on metal" when I lean it against the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I use the ladder to get on the roof by hooking it over the too-narrow ladder that came on the trailer when I get on the roof. I have found the 12' ladder doesn't hurt the gutters when leaned on the side which I seldom do except to do something with the higher windows. As far as pinching your fingers, the rungs can hang a tad sometimes when collapsing them and it only took me about 4 fingers worth to remember where to stick my fingers... they have about 7 zillion warning labels on the ladder and they are too small for me to read! The prices on those ladders vary wildly so shop around. I paid about $60 for mine a couple years ago.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
Old Mustanger

Got mine for about $70 from Groupon
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:25 AM   #11
bill-e

I have a non-walkable roof and that ladder. The key is how the cover is folded (I also have an Adco)

I fold mine by laying it out and folding each side to the middle. I then fold each side again to the middle and then fold it right over left in half. I roll it up from the rear.

When I install it I put the ladder left side of the trailer near the front (maybe 6-7' back) and start unrolling it to the rear, initially sliding it forward until it's aligned properly.

Once it is unrolled,, I use an aluminum pool skimmer rod, and using the rubber handle end I flip the folded right side of the cover over the AC and vents until it is mostly laid out. All of this is done moving the ladder maybe once or twice so I can get everything. At that point I can grab the side straps and pull the walls down.

It sounds complicated but all of this takes maybe 10 minutes.

To remove it in the spring no ladder is required, I unhook the straps and use the same pole to lift the front of the cover up to the roof. Then I go to the rear and grab the cover and just pull it off.

I may be lucky that I don't have much on the roof, two Maxi covers, the AC, tv antenna and a stink pipe but it goes on and off very easily.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
deer30084

Thanks bill-e. I will most likely use your technique. Have to get that ladder. Moving a tall step ladder multiple times to get the camper covered is not fun.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
Fergie

Passport roofs are a 1/4" plywood and floors are flimsy as well. Don't let kids jump off the top bunk as in time it will damage floor.
Fergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:46 AM   #14
Joe592

I have a 2014 passport 2810bh and i walk on the roof twice a year for cleaning and once putting cover on and once taking cover off. I weigh 210 lbs and when walking one the roof i make sure i ALWAYS have feet placed where supports are. They are easy to tell. No problems after 4 years. I use a ladder for the back more often because of the awning on the side.
Joe592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #15
khoyt

I'm a big guy 6'3" 300lb, and I get on the roof of my 2013 Passport 2100RB, regularly. Dealer told me it would not be an issue when we bought it. The roof feels sturdy under foot and have never had an issue. I get on the roof to take the cover on/off, wash, and inspect the roof. I lean an extention ladder against the rain gutter and it holds the ladder without a problem.
khoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #16
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoyt View Post
I'm a big guy 6'3" 300lb, and I get on the roof of my 2013 Passport 2100RB, regularly. Dealer told me it would not be an issue when we bought it. The roof feels sturdy under foot and have never had an issue. I get on the roof to take the cover on/off, wash, and inspect the roof. I lean an extention ladder against the rain gutter and it holds the ladder without a problem.
I get up on the roof of our '13 Cougar (1/2 ton series) quite regularly. It has 3/8" roof decking. Wonder if by mistake they actually made roofs better back then. Mine does not have a rear ladder. I am 5'11" 225# but older so I move slow.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof