Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguak View Post
When I disconnected power and tested two batteries registered 13 volts while the third registered 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you run the furnace and test the voltage after about 15 minutes with the furnace still operating? Many "weak" batteries will read over 12 VDC when first removed from a charger and with no load, but they will rapidly lose their charge with a small load and will read 11 VDC or less in a very short time.

Typically, a fully charged operational battery will read about 12.6 VDC an hour after being removed from the charger. If two of yours were reading 13 VDC and one was reading 12 VDC, you may have a bad battery that's pulling the other two "down" preventing all three from fully charging. Or, you could have a different problem....

In any situation, if the system works when on shore power and does not work on battery power, it's not the propane, furnace or CO monitor that's at fault, it's the power source which is the only thing that has changed between being "plugged in and running on batteries".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #22
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Did you run the furnace and test the voltage after about 15 minutes with the furnace still operating? Many "weak" batteries will read over 12 VDC when first removed from a charger and with no load, but they will rapidly lose their charge with a small load and will read 11 VDC or less in a very short time.

Typically, a fully charged operational battery will read about 12.6 VDC an hour after being removed from the charger. If two of yours were reading 13 VDC and one was reading 12 VDC, you may have a bad battery that's pulling the other two "down" preventing all three from fully charging. Or, you could have a different problem....

In any situation, if the system works when on shore power and does not work on battery power, it's not the propane, furnace or CO monitor that's at fault, it's the power source which is the only thing that has changed between being "plugged in and running on batteries".

This is highly logical. The batteries are two years old minimum and I want to switch out to 6v anyways so this will give me a reason to do so!

As always, I am appreciative of your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baguak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #23
travelin texans

Check the voltage on the batteries unplugged at the time the CO sensor starts chirping, I'd bet an adult beverage that they won't be 12-13 volts at that point. Static they may read 12 volts, but not under load.
Other than turning on every light in your rv at once the furnace blower is the biggest 12 volt draw & also a huge propane hog.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater