Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
ericl

Adding hitch to back of my Cougar

So, I want to add a hitch to the rear of my 2012 Cougar 324RLB (camping is more fun with jet skis). Normally, this seems like a straightforward operation, but the version of the cougar I have has the slide-out rear bumper with storage.

Does anyone know if this has been attempted, and if it is possible to add a hitch without the bumper and the slide-out rails getting in the way?

Thanks!
ericl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Canonman

We also wanted to add a receiver to our Cougar so we could carry our bikes. The slide out version made by Lippert just was not workable. The only option given to us by the local welder/fabricator was to remove the slide out, weld a receiver to the frame and reattach the sewer hose carrier (aka bumper) to the new hitch. There may be other options but our guy said that's all he'd stand by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0962.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	12418  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
66joej

Reading past posts on this issue the consensus seems to be that the rear slideout is almost useless.
The salespeople would have you believe it can carry 250#. I personally would not even use it. Totally agree with your welder/fabricator.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
ericl

Thanks! That sounds like a reasonable solution. I'll need to hunt down a shop that can do that for me.

I appreciate the help!
ericl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
Lee

On my previous TT, a non- Keystone product, I had the local Hitch shop weld me up a hitch to the rear frame.

For many years I hauled my Kawasaki 250 Dual Sport there.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Reading past posts on this issue the consensus seems to be that the rear slideout is almost useless.
The salespeople would have you believe it can carry 250#. I personally would not even use it. Totally agree with your welder/fabricator.
It is stamped on mine 'not to exceed 200#). I have never used mine but after seeing one in a CG I'm considering. An owner had a metal/plywood box fabricated on the door side and has a Honda 3*** generator in there. On the street side another box where his 50 amp cable and FW hose is stored. He had pulled his 5er over 8K miles with it like that~~~~~~~~~~

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
MarkS

Adding hitch to back of my Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
It is stamped on mine 'not to exceed 200#). I have never used mine but after seeing one in a CG I'm considering. An owner had a metal/plywood box fabricated on the door side and has a Honda 3*** generator in there. On the street side another box where his 50 amp cable and FW hose is stored. He had pulled his 5er over 8K miles with it like that~~~~~~~~~~

The slide bumpers made around 2013 had a lock bracket that was way too flimsy. It's the bracket just under the back of the trailer. The lock pin goes through it to hold the slide in the extended position. It also supports the slide when extended. I think Keystone is using a much beefier one on newer models. Some people have successfully reinforced the bracket. With a better bracket you can use the slides for things like bikes. I would not attach a hitch. Ever.

The bumper welds are also too thin to support anything other than hoses. I had to take the spare tire carrier off. The weight of the tire cracked the bumper. It's on my todo list to cut the bumper off and weld on a new reinforced one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
anthonbloom

I use the sliding rear carrier for bikes and other stuff, modifying the post with a support bracket and adding four tie downs to the tray. I have 10,000 miles using the carrier on my Cougar 318 SAB without a problem. I also removed the spare tire carrier when the bumper welds failed and made a spare tire carrier between the landing legs using a tongue jack through the floor of the front compartment. I would not try to add a hitch without removing the rear carrier and attaching directly to the frame. I would also suggest keeping the hitch height the same as the bumper and replacing the bumper on top to maintain ground clearance.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, hitch