Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
kennyskywalker

So ive been to the scales, full tank of fuel with cargo (no passengers), unhitched my truck drive axel was 2860, hitched with one passenger and cargo drive axel weighed 4720.
Passenger weighed 225 + cargo in truck 85 + 1545 pin gets really close to 4720. This also includes cargo in 5ver. Numbers dont lie and from what Keystone has said its consistent!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kennyskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyskywalker View Post
I think we are saying the same thing, 10300 x15% is 1500
Quote:
1545 i mean
No, we're not saying the same thing. You're saying (I believe) that your pin weight will "always" be 1545 with a trailer weight of 10300 pounds.

I'm saying that IF YOU ARE PROPERLY LOADED, it will be "AT LEAST" that much (15% of the weight), and PROBABLY will be significantly more than that, up to 2575 pounds which is 25% of the weight.

Depending on how you load your trailer, in your first post you said "all the storage is forward of the axles" and in your most recent post you said, "all the weight is aft of the axles"... IT CAN'T BE BOTH....

Looking at the floorplan, with the exception of two small cupboards on the back wall and the overhead storage above the sofa. ALL the remaining storage is FORWARD of the axles (except for the dinette base storage which is over the axles and is "neutral" in pin weight calculations). So, anything you add to the trailer, clothing, food, blankets/towels, water, camping gear, tools, etc will ALL add to the weight on the pin. You can't "change physics" and EVERYTHING you add in the majority of your storage areas will increase the pin weight (except for the two cupboards by the TV and that small overhead cabinet over the sofa) with the understanding that the dinette storage is "neutral".

So, anything you add to your trailer (forward of the axles) WILL increase your pin weight (but not at 1:1). The specification pin weight in the brochure is the empty pin weight and will go up from there as you load cargo.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the weight slips, your truck weighs 6600 pounds without the trailer and weighs 8360 with the trailer. That would put your pin weight at 1760. Using the total weight of 15580 and subtracting the 6600 pounds for the truck, your trailer weighed 8980. That means your pin percentage is 19.6%. Assuming you could load your trailer with additional weight "IN THE SAME LOCATIONS AS YOUR EXISTING WEIGHT" to get your trailer to weigh the 10300 GVW, at 19.6%, your pin would weigh around 2020 pounds (10300 x 19.6%).

Bottom line, you simply can't keep your pin weight at 1545 at empty weight and expect it to stay there at GVW. as cooter brown says: AIN'T HAPPNIN'

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
kennyskywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No, we're not saying the same thing. You're saying (I believe) that your pin weight will "always" be 1545 with a trailer weight of 10300 pounds.

I'm saying that IF YOU ARE PROPERLY LOADED, it will be "AT LEAST" that much (15% of the weight), and PROBABLY will be significantly more than that, up to 2575 pounds which is 25% of the weight.

Depending on how you load your trailer, in your first post you said "all the storage is forward of the axles" and in your most recent post you said, "all the weight is aft of the axles"... IT CAN'T BE BOTH....

Looking at the floorplan, with the exception of two small cupboards on the back wall and the overhead storage above the sofa. ALL the remaining storage is FORWARD of the axles (except for the dinette base storage which is over the axles and is "neutral" in pin weight calculations). So, anything you add to the trailer, clothing, food, blankets/towels, water, camping gear, tools, etc will ALL add to the weight on the pin. You can't "change physics" and EVERYTHING you add in the majority of your storage areas will increase the pin weight (except for the two cupboards by the TV and that small overhead cabinet over the sofa) with the understanding that the dinette storage is "neutral".

So, anything you add to your trailer (forward of the axles) WILL increase your pin weight (but not at 1:1). The specification pin weight in the brochure is the empty pin weight and will go up from there as you load cargo.
Actually i am saying the most the pin will weigh at 10300 is 1545, the published weight in brochure is on the gross, the uvw pin weight is not 1545, it does not start there but should end up there fully load. This what Keystone is saying and its really close to what the scales show. Keystone did say that some brochure are informational only and not completely accurate, but researching my unit they were confident 1500 or 1545 is based on 10300 not 8545. Im going to re-weigh and retest not trying to annoy anyone but I like to verify. You think if you speak with the manufacturer they would be forthcoming, what do they have to hide?

kennyskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the weight tickets you posted your pin weight at that event is more than 1545. So are you saying that you think the more you load the lighter it will be?

Maybe someone else can help you understand your pin weight. Lord knows I tried.... Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

On your weight tickets your trailer is weighing 89xx lbs. It's dry weight is 8530 so you have a load of approx. 400 lbs in the trailer. You have more freshwater storage than that so it's not "loaded" with cargo. Add another 650 or so for black/gray water and the weight will just keep going up. In the 400 lbs of "cargo" on the trailer I am assuming you have filled the propane tanks?

To try to explain this yet another way; your trailer as weighed weighs 8980 with a pin of 1760...19.6%. Theoretically, if the trailer as it is currently distributed was actually LOADED and was at 10,300, your pin would be 2019 lbs. Problem is it is not going to be loaded as it currently is and the majority of the weight you're going to add will add substantial load to the pin (because it's forward of the axles). No matter what Keystone told you your trailer is not a magic absorption box where the laws of physics don't apply.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Actually i am saying the most the pin will weigh at 10300 is 1545, the published weight in brochure is on the gross, the uvw pin weight is not 1545, it does not start there but should end up there fully load. This what Keystone is saying and its really close to what the scales show. Keystone did say that some brochure are informational only and not completely accurate, but researching my unit they were confident 1500 or 1545 is based on 10300 not 8545. Im going to re-weigh and retest not trying to annoy anyone but I like to verify. You think if you speak with the manufacturer they would be forthcoming, what do they have to hide?

They don't have anything to hide....they're just not forthcoming, and, for the most part have no idea what they're talking about if you are talking to customer service....and that's who you are talking to unless you were able to elevate it through the involvement of a government agency, which I have done. The folks on here, I can assure you, know more about the trailers than Keystone customer service....on any day. Load the trailer as if you were actually going to use it, or, if you don't know what that is take it out a few times to find out all the things you don't have, get them, put them on the trailer and load it. Just make sure you don't load it in such a manner that it takes you, your truck and your family "for a ride". Don't forget to fill, or partially fill, your tanks....that is part of the "cargo".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #28
CWtheMan

Let's look at this as a two part problem.

Wise RV trailer buyers will want to know a ballpark figure for the trailer's tongue/pin weight.

The recommended/published tongue/pin weights provided by the trailer manufacturer are linked to vehicle certification (they MUST provide one). What they provide is an ideal weight that in all probability can be achieved at full vehicle GVWR.

In the past I've done the math on a complete fiver and travel trailer line-up. The fivers average between 14-17% and the TTs average between 9-12%. With careful distribution and balancing of your cargo they are maintainable. But highly unreasonable for most RVers.

The bottom line is, it's the owners responsibility to balance their cargo to attain a balance between tow vehicle and towed vehicle.

Here is an snip from FMVSS 571.110 that directs manufacturer's to establish a tongue/pin weight and it's purpose to them and relationship to vehicle certification.

S9.2 On RV trailers, the sum of the GAWRs of all axles on the vehicle plus
the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended tongue weight must not be
less than the GVWR. If tongue weight is specified as a range, the minimum
value must be used.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #29
Ken / Claudia

I looked at the weight tickets. Is it normal to loose 1,000 lbs off the steering axle when towing a 5er.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #30
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I looked at the weight tickets. Is it normal to loose 1,000 lbs off the steering axle when towing a 5er.
1000lbs? No not normal, but I believe your math is off, or its new math, critical thinking, or whatever they're calling it now days. [emoji1] [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #31
Ken / Claudia

Larry, I just read the wt. slips. I used new math and added a extra zero. Can I blame the computer. But, I do work for the government is that not normal. Thanks
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #32
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Larry, I just read the wt. slips. I used new math and added a extra zero. Can I blame the computer. But, I do work for the government is that not normal. Thanks
Thanks always wondered about that. But then again when you are playing with nine to twelve zero's after a number, not a big deal adding four or more here and there. But did hear something about a new sheriff in town
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, springdale