Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
bagged123

fifth wheel hitch question

We went to an RV show last night and found one we liked, so we sat with the sales person to work numbers. He put the fifth wheel price in the financing, which I'm not crazy about, so my question is, am I better off buying the fifth wheel myself and just have them doing the adjustments or just add it to the price?

I have a '16 3500 Dually with the fifth wheel prep factory installed with the pucks.

What are some good fifth wheel options out there? He wanted to sell me the reese 20k hitch for 1400 installed.
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
canesfan

I won't get into the "which hitch is better" discussion, but if you want to buy the hitch yourself, than do that. You are not obligated to buy it from them. If you do buy it from them you are not obligated to finance it. If you'd rather pay for it upfront than do that. It's your money and your decision how you want to spend it. Don't let the dealer manipulate you into anything. They are looking at their best interest, bottom line $$$, not yours. If you're not comfortable with the way they are trying to work the deal, walk. There are hundreds of other dealers out there who would be more than happy to sell you what you want. And no matter what they say, the "show price" is usually nothing special and can be had after the show almost always, unless there are some really special circumstances.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
66joej

^ What "canesfan" said plus installation is nothing more than dropping the base into the corresponding sockets in the truck bed. There are quite a few makes of these ready to use hitches on the market.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
We went to an RV show last night and found one we liked, so we sat with the sales person to work numbers. He put the fifth wheel price in the financing, which I'm not crazy about, so my question is, am I better off buying the fifth wheel myself and just have them doing the adjustments or just add it to the price?

I have a '16 3500 Dually with the fifth wheel prep factory installed with the pucks.

What are some good fifth wheel options out there? He wanted to sell me the reese 20k hitch for 1400 installed.

With your 5er prep with pucks, go buy a hitch made for your puck system. They are very slick!

Don't feel pressured to buy from anyone. You can buy from any place you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I had a dealer tell me that he can save me more before the show than he can at or after the show. Reason being they pay by space used at the show when they take it on the door. They can negotiate that amount out instead of paying it to the hall. Just a thought.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Javi

Look at Reese and B&W for puck style hitches. Like you I had the prep kit in the truck when I bought it and only needed the hitch. I paid a lot less than $1400 for mine and had the dealer line item discount the purchase price by his listed add on for a hitch.

Javi
Old 02-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
bagged123

The "show price" is nothing IMO, I'm looking at the hitch perspective, I'd rather buy my own and install it and just have them adjust the height if needed. I'm looking online at the Reeses online now and so far, yeah, I'm finding them cheaper online then the 1400 the dealer is charging, and since I do have the OEM prep (puck system), looks like the installation is pretty straight foward
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Barbell

We also have a '16 3500 DRW and the hitch made for the puck system.. Ours has the Mopar emblem but is a 20 K model made by Curt. Had a Reese 16 K hitch in an older truck and the Curt is a much better hitch. Also paid a lot less than $1400 for it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch