Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
denverpilot

Replace Dining Table with Desk?

Anyone done this?

We find the dining room "table" is mostly just a catch-all for stuff -- we have the table that's bolted into the floor of a slide and separate chairs.

It's bolted to the floor so close to the end of the slide that no normal adult can slide in there anyway, and that makes it mostly just a two chair table, from the side with the recliners.

Thinking we hardly ever try to get four people in that space anyway, so why not just do a nice long desk type thing there between the end of the slide and the recliners and switch out to a desk and folding chairs... Or even semi-comfortable desk chairs and bungee them to the desk when moving.

Other than a place to toss stuff off of the kitchen center island, that table is kinda useless.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Mr30RLI

Denver pilot

Not sure what rig you have but my cougar has a similar free standing table. My table top can slide front to rear along the slide wall and either give more of less room on the front side of the slide. Look under the table for a door hinge. That's what locks ours in position. Also, the table is screwed to the floor with the usual crappy square drive sheet rock screws so moving it a few inches in either direction is possible too. As far as replacing it for better space use I'd throw out the Kmart quality rockers first 😁

Frank

Mr30RLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30RLI View Post
Denver pilot

Not sure what rig you have but my cougar has a similar free standing table. My table top can slide front to rear along the slide wall and either give more of less room on the front side of the slide. Look under the table for a door hinge. That's what locks ours in position. Also, the table is screwed to the floor with the usual crappy square drive sheet rock screws so moving it a few inches in either direction is possible too. As far as replacing it for better space use I'd throw out the Kmart quality rockers first [emoji16]

Frank

Hmm. Maybe I missed something about that table. Will look.

We don't mind the crappy recliners, they're a lot better than we had for decades in the pop-up!

Haha. I'm sure they'd be replaced if we were full-timers or even part-timers but they work fine for watching the occasional night movie. The couch would be replaced first. That thing is truly bad.

If we are stuck indoors because of rain or whatever and I want to stretch out and watch multiple movies until it quits, I usually just fold it out as a bed, and that's more comfortable than anything, which isn't saying much. Haha. Dogs like it better that way too, since they usually climb up and join me for a nap.

The DW fits the little recliners better than I do, and she likes hers. I can do about one movie in one and that's about all we ever do anyway when camping.

It's a 213 Laredo 312RE by the way. I guess that might help a bit, whatever the relatively modern table setup is.

I wasn't going to bother moving it (understand on the sheet rock screws) since I could build better furniture in my garage to replace it with, and figure out a better way to lash whatever it ended up being, in place, way better than those screws.

I'll check under the table. Be funny if we never noticed how it actually works. Mostly it gets covered with keys, jackets, whatever junk we bought for souvenirs, laptop/iPads/phones and chargers, ha.

I'm also looking for a little table to stick between the recliners to set a soda or beer on. Mostly so I don't have to resort to one of these...

Fairly Odd Novelties Beer and Soda Guzzler Helmet and Drinking Party Hat, Yellow

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLLUYIK..._jPRRxbNAQYMHQ

Heheheh.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought a "lightweight" 4 bin storage chest from Big Lot for $30 to sit between the chairs in our Cougar. It's a great place for a coffee cup, adult beverage or snack bag. It comes in different colors, but black was what they had in the store the day we "went looking"... It matches our "décor" pretty well and we don't notice it sitting there any more. Without the wheels, it's been "stationary" without bouncing out of place for the past 3 years and fits well under the window between the chairs. It's full of maps, "touristy" brochures and holds the remotes for all the "junk" that Keystone hangs on the walls and screws to the cabinets.

http://www.biglots.com/product/black...04945&pos=1:26
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black+4+Bin+Rolling+Cart+Silo+Image.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	11065  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

We have a similar setup. We've removed two of the kitchen chairs, but the table top should slide to give room on either side. We also have a flip up shelf between our chairs. Our 2 chairs just rock and swivel.

Our couch is horrible and you need to blow up the bed if you want to fold it out, so that's out. We are thinking to replace it with 2 recliners, big enough to nap in.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #6
bsmith0404

I've considered making some changes to our dinette area. We don't really use it much anyway. About the only use it gets is playing cards, we do need all 4 chairs for that. I'm thinking about removing 2 of the chairs so I can have more space for the two recliners, which get more use (ours are very comfortable, we love them). If I go this route, I'll just add a couple folding chairs that we can bring along and store behind the recliners. When we need to use them, I'll just slide the recliners down a bit. I have to check if our table moves, 6" more space between the front of the slide would be nice.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If I go this route, I'll just add a couple folding chairs that we can bring along and store behind the recliners.

I might suggest instead of regular folding chairs, picking up a couple of these.

Coleman Portable Deck Chair with Side Table https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00363PSEQ/

We carry about six or seven outdoor chairs because we go camping with friends who may not have been able to transport their own chairs, so we share... But by far these are our favorites.

The side table is absolutely wonderful in almost all camping scenarios -- a place to put the morning coffee, a place to put the afternoon beer, a place to put down a plate of food, whatever.

Inside the camper you can just leave the little table folded down.

And when the whole chair is folded up, it's a few inches thick and can stand flat behind something very easily. We keep them in the nook between the dresser and the front closet in the fiver but they'd ride behind the recliners just fine too.

They're not great for dragging along to go walking or hiking somewhere to sit elsewhere, but they do have stitched in carry handles for carrying them around when they're folded up. And the way they fold and unfold, I suspect they'll last a lifetime.

We see someone break a typical "bag chair" every year in a large multi-person campsite by rocking backward in them. Snaps the feet off and that's all that's keeping the two rods together at that point. One ends up in the dumpster every year.

We abuse the snot out of the two of these that have the little tables and they keep coming back for more punishment.

The seat is a lot more comfortable and wider than a typical folding chair too.

Highly highly recommended. Well worth the extra $10-20 over a cheap bag chair. We'll probably get two more and offload a couple of the bag chairs if they don't get broken by our semi-inebriated friends over time. Haha. Everyone kinda fights over sitting in them at camp in a passive-aggressive sort of way -- folks will go find one early on in the evening before the campfire is really going and claim it by putting their beer in the cup holder on the little table.

Including me if I'm paying attention. Heh.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #8
CaptnJohn

HHMMmmm~~ now I need to look under the table! We rarely take 4 chairs as it is just the two if us unless we feel we may have company. I wish I could recall if there is any space between the recliners and wall, if so I'm moving them and adding more space at the table.
Years ago Ford gave me 2 chairs in one bag. They have stood up well and still look new. They are the best built of any bag chair I've seen. The only complaint is they are heavy and 2 in one bag is probably like 5 or 6 of the regular ones.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

We had a dinette and removed the booth and moved the table closer to the sofa. Only two of us so it actually gave us more room at the table without trying to squeeze into the booth. I mounted a folding shelf on the slide wall so the space serves double duty. (dining area and computer desk just by turning the chair.) It has worked out well for us, Hank
Our table is only mounted with short wood screws not bolts and after the move a quick vacuum and old location was not noticeable at all.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
cpaulsen

Took our table and chairs out and put a desk in with a full size office chair for the DW because she still works part-time. Works for us.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
dirt33

Hankpage, that looks real good, thank you for posting.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of any other desk setups that people might have. I am wanting to do this in our trailer, but I am not "envisioning" how I should do it.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
We had a dinette and removed the booth and moved the table closer to the sofa. Only two of us so it actually gave us more room at the table without trying to squeeze into the booth. I mounted a folding shelf on the slide wall so the space serves double duty. (dining area and computer desk just by turning the chair.) It has worked out well for us, Hank
Our table is only mounted with short wood screws not bolts and after the move a quick vacuum and old location was not noticeable at all.

I like that! Thanks for sharing. It's giving me ideas!
Old 01-08-2022, 09:05 PM   #13
Jim2366

It was interesting to find these post. Today we ordered a new table to use for a work station and for dining. I am going to remove the free standing table and replace it with the new one that is 55 inches long, and 28 inches wide. It has an adjustable height so it can be used for sitting or standing. I am going to put it against the wall facing the windows, and use two monitors. The work station will not look as good but will keep the fuel tank full.

It is not exactly vacation but it will allow me to get out of the office and enjoy warmer weather and new adventures. Turning 65 last month at least it will be a step in the right direction. My breaks may get longer and the work shorter.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:13 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

It's good to know these old posts ( this one going on 5 1/2 yrs old) still have value. One bit of advice on working remotely from a camper is to consider the wifi availability where you are going. It doesn’t take much throughput to send/receive emails but video canfrencing will require a good stable connection. There have been many conversations on this subject on this forum.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:03 AM   #15
Jim2366

That is good advice without internet I can't work. I have to have my office phone that is voice over IP and I have to connect to the customer management system and company websites.

I am going to Oak Mountain State Park and the site is on top of the hill. We stayed at the park on two trips and I tested the different sites for cell signal. We are spending one week near Gulf Shores and I don't know if I will get a good signal.

It is surprising some areas have great signals that you would not expect and others that you would expect to be good are not. We Like State Parks and Recreation Areas but will also stay at the higher priced resorts sometimes.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:34 PM   #16
Guy

Moveable table

Man, I love these old posts! We have had our Cougar 5er for 2years and I just learned that the dinette table can slide! That has irritated us to no end. Looking forward to our next camping trip and being able to sit down at the table without being cramped.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #17
Jim2366

Here is a picture of the computer / kitchen table that I replaced. It has an electric switch that will raise or lower the desk.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:02 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim,

What kind of flooring do you have under your chair in that photo? It looks like laminate, but if so, how do you open/close the slide?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-04-2022, 09:12 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Jim,

What kind of flooring do you have under your chair in that photo? It looks like laminate, but if so, how do you open/close the slide?
It appears to be some sort of removable desk mat that may roll up to cover the slide floor transition as it's over the floor mat behind him & the notch at his right foot. Although I've never seen one like that.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It appears to be some sort of removable desk mat that may roll up to cover the slide floor transition as it's over the floor mat behind him & the notch at his right foot. Although I've never seen one like that.
Yep, that's why I wanted to check. It looks like something I haven't seen before, looks like an improvement over "rolling over the slide hump with a chair" and if it works, how is it stored when traveling?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS