Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
bdaniel

Power Awning Motor Not Working

Hi Folks,

Brought our new Copper Canyon 5th wheel home Friday night and so far I am happy with everything. However, I extended the power awning and now can not retrieve it. I can hear the motor click, almost like an overload relay, but the awning does not move when I try to extend or retrieve it. The fuses are ok and the arms are not locked. I even tried turning the awning tube to help the motor but no luck.

The awning is in the fully extended position so I am not sure right now how I would even get it back to the dealer.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
campingcpl

If it's an A&E awning there is a screw on the right side of the awning tube that can be removed and will allow the awning to be manually closed. Just make sure you have someone helping you and they hold the awning when you take the screw out (it will close like a manual awning when the screw is removed).

Important: This procedure will require two people.
When this procedure has been performed, the awning
must be serviced by a Dometic Service Center or a
qualified service technician before using again.

1. Slide the pull strap (provided) into the utility slot of
the FRTA.
2. While one person is holding onto the pull strap,
remove the screw in the top of the right top casting.
The FRTA will immediately roll in once the
bolt is removed. Walk the awning to the closed
position.
3. Align hole where screw was removed and replace
screw into top casting to secure awning.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
glm67

Did you find out what the problem was?

Mine is doing the same thing.

Thanks.

glm67
glm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
bdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glm67 View Post
Did you find out what the problem was?

Mine is doing the same thing.

Thanks.

glm67

Sorry, I just got back from a 3 week trip. I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it. I assume they ordered a new motor and replaced it. It was working when I picked it up. I hate the electric awning. I much prefer the manual one. Much stronger, the arms can be locked in the down position and it will never fail. The electric awning is just a sales gimmick.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Me.Bikes.Dogs

While in windy climes I really like the electric awning since I open and close it daily. I don't think I'd mess with it if it was a manual. I haven't had any problems though, knock on wood.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Handysam

What the Heck we talkin' about again?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
animalcracker

it happened to me today. i had to get a rv repair man out to the campground to roll my awning back in. it's on a fith wheel and had to be rolled by hand all the way up. even if i had removed the allen screw i still needed two tall stepladders. the rv repair man charged me 140.00 dollars for about 10 min. of work. i dropped our camper off to the dealer we bought it from. the service manager said it was gonna take 2 weeks to fix. i asked about reinbursment for the 140.00 dollars because we have only been having our camper for 1 month. he said he was going to check on it for me and i'll post whatever happens.
animalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Mij

Question

You will wait for three weeks for it to be fixed and will be stuck with the $140 bill. Hopefully I am wrong... My electric awning has been ok so far, I tie it down like I did my manual one and has been fine except this camper has a slideout on the rear of the camper on the awning side with I think help keep wind from getting under it ...
Mij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
animalcracker

awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mij View Post
You will wait for three weeks for it to be fixed and will be stuck with the $140 bill. Hopefully I am wrong... My electric awning has been ok so far, I tie it down like I did my manual one and has been fine except this camper has a slideout on the rear of the camper on the awning side with I think help keep wind from getting under it ...
i'm posting this a day late. yesterday 8-15-2010 i called just to check on my camper the service manger was at lunch and i was told he would call me back. 45 min later he called me and said my camper was ready only 4 business days! great service team at this keystone dealer so far. he also said he was waiting on a reply about the $140.00 bill i had to pay so i don't know about that yet.
animalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote