Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 AM   #1
malabarbob

Travel Trailer Parking

Picked up a 29' Travel Trailer for our monthly Disney visits - cheaper dog kennel!
I also bought a 2016 F-150 with the automatic trailer backup assist which, I think, is great for an unseasoned TT driver.
I was reading Trailer Life magazine and saw an add for Parkit360. Its a motorized mini tractor you hitch to your trailer ang guide it into tight spots such as many at Disney. Right now I am nervous about backing into Disney spots. Some are even tight with my motorhome.
My question is does anyone have experience or know someone that has used this unit? I read a lot of positive comments about using around the house to get into tight spots but I will be taking it on the road so I need to worry about lifting it into something (70 lbs) and transporting it. Is it worth the $1000. To me it is if it works as we love the TT for use at Disney.
Towed with a 2016 F-150 Laredo with auto backup
Travel with our "Morkie" - Zoe
malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

I've seen the ad and am interested in the feedback. I've been to a couple campgrounds that I would have gladly had something better to use than my truck. Lake Rudolph, IN and Estes Park, CO both come to mind.

How do you like the backup assist in the truck?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Mike484

The more times I back ours into our storage spot, the more confident I am that I can back it anywhere. But, I do have to have the DW with me when parking it in storage, no way would I attempt it without her.

Curious if the ParkIt360 works for anyone.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
BirchyBoy

A backup camera on my new trailer has helped me tremendously. Still nervous doing it, but it's nice being able to see directly behind the trailer.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
bsmith0404

I've backed a lot of trailers into areas where people didn't think they could go, but I have a lot of experience and I know that's not the case for everyone. I'm not sure if the Parkit360 is something that would get enough use to make it worth buying. You basically have to unhook your TV, unload it, and then hook it up and use it. I've seen people who have difficulty backing trailers, unhook the TV and reposition it to get better angles. That's almost the same thing as using the Parkit360 with the exception of the length of the TV. Since I'm not familiar with the areas you are parking only you can decide if it's worth the extra $$ or hassle of loading/unloading.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabarbob View Post
Picked up a 29' Travel Trailer for our monthly Disney visits - cheaper dog kennel!
I also bought a 2016 F-150 with the automatic trailer backup assist which, I think, is great for an unseasoned TT driver.
I was reading Trailer Life magazine and saw an add for Parkit360. Its a motorized mini tractor you hitch to your trailer ang guide it into tight spots such as many at Disney. Right now I am nervous about backing into Disney spots. Some are even tight with my motorhome.
My question is does anyone have experience or know someone that has used this unit? I read a lot of positive comments about using around the house to get into tight spots but I will be taking it on the road so I need to worry about lifting it into something (70 lbs) and transporting it. Is it worth the $1000. To me it is if it works as we love the TT for use at Disney.
What is "automatic trailer backup assist"?

Seems like a Parkit360 would be more trouble than its worth. Just practice more parking your trailer before the big day at Disney.

Once a month at Disney? Wow. Haven't been there in ages. Is the Brown Derby still at Epcot? Haven't had a real Cobb Salad in ages, either.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
RGene7001

Definitely, I would not buy it. It is much easier to practice backing up. I dont recall anything really difficult about Fort Wilderness, just had to ask neighbours across the road to move their truck. There are much tighter places, like oceanfront campgrounds, Red Coconut or Juno Beach. Still, they are quite parkable.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

My son in law has what I think is the same thing for parking his boat behind his garage. Used it once and said it was too slow and too much trouble; he just backs it in now.

If you have a spotter and the space is actually meant for a travel trailer, you should be able to get it in. Now, out in the boonies, in the trees with holes, stumps, limbs etc. all over you, it CAN get tight without a spotter. In a developed campground it should be OK - just work on backing/parking it and learn what goes where and WHEN (a big RV moves SLOW) as you give an input.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My son in law has what I think is the same thing for parking his boat behind his garage. Used it once and said it was too slow and too much trouble; he just backs it in now.

If you have a spotter and the space is actually meant for a travel trailer, you should be able to get it in. Now, out in the boonies, in the trees with holes, stumps, limbs etc. all over you, it CAN get tight without a spotter. In a developed campground it should be OK - just work on backing/parking it and learn what goes where and WHEN (a big RV moves SLOW) as you give an input.
Selecting 4 Low helps with the backing up, as it is slower. Works well when backing up a slope, too. Of course, if you're on a hard surface and turning its hard on the front end.

I also use Low when rolling the trailer up on levelers. Not only does it make the process a bit more accurate, but its easier on my clutch...something you auto guys don't have to worry about.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Selecting 4 Low helps with the backing up, as it is slower. Works well when backing up a slope, too. Of course, if you're on a hard surface and turning its hard on the front end.

I also use Low when rolling the trailer up on levelers. Not only does it make the process a bit more accurate, but its easier on my clutch...something you auto guys don't have to worry about.
I have had to use 4 Low once, in Lake Rudolph. I don't have that option any more and hope I don't need it!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 06-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
GaryWT

Practice, practice practice. Take it to an empty parking lot and back into spaces between the lines or up agains a curb etc. once you do it a few times it will be easier.

I believe the Brown Derby is/was in the movie park whatever it is called today and not Epcot.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Practice, practice practice. Take it to an empty parking lot and back into spaces between the lines or up agains a curb etc. once you do it a few times it will be easier.

I believe the Brown Derby is/was in the movie park whatever it is called today and not Epcot.
In the 80's Epcot had a replica of the original Brown Derby in Hollywood. I ate there.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #13
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
What is "automatic trailer backup assist"?

It's the new gadget on the newer Fords as an option that gives you a shuttle jog switch on the dash that you turn left or right and keep your hands well away from the steering wheel when you do, because the truck figures out where it needs to be to push the trailer that direction you turned the shuttle jog joystick thing and it spins the steering wheel like it was a Disney ride going full tilt boogie.

Basically it means that you don't have to learn the old trick: Push the bottom of the steering wheel the direction you want the back of the trailer to go... The trick everyone learns as their first lesson in backing up a trailer. You also don't have to keep track of how far out of angle your TV is with the trailer.

If you center the joystick thing the steering wheel spins at a high rate of speed and the truck and sensors somehow realign the truck and trailer as quickly as they can to match the request to back up straight.

Think of it like Fords thing that automatically parallel parks, something everyone can learn to do quickly and accurately but there's always been a percentage of the population who won't put in the effort to learn the tricks for that one, either.

There's some videos of it in action floating around the net. Some by Ford, some by folks who have a little less "enthusiasm" for it. Heh.

Fun to watch. Not sure it's necessary.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #14
Desert185

Reminds me of over automation in an airliner further dumbing down the skills of the operator. Life for me has always been the journey, not necessarily the destination. The joy of flying or driving the journey has been the major attraction. If I want to be a passenger in my own airplane or other vehicle (a dog watching television), I'll stay at home, have a drink, turn on the TV and then become an inanimate object with my dog.

"What are you doing, Dave." --2001, A Space Odyssey

When we went to the moon, Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins actually did backup celestial navigation through three dimensional space as a check on the computer. They didn't just sit there and hope for the best, although, they didn't do the actual driving until the preplanned automation put them in a bad landing spot. That's when Armstrong pushed that little "no mas" button and actually flew the Eagle lander to a better spot, manually landing it with Aldrin calling out the fuel remaining in seconds. Capability hewn from hours of experience not dumbed down by hours of automation. Read "Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins the next time you reach the end of your journey. It doesn't disappoint.

Personal experience frustration off and back to normal. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I completely agree !!! Whether it's the "left foot/right hand co-ordination" of a manual transmission or the ability to "independently" back a trailer (or parallel park), the ability to perform the task without "computer guided assistance" is all a part of 'responsible operation". It's one thing to "lean on computers for assistance" it's another to not be able to "perform the task without the computer doing it for us"...

It'll never evolve to that.... ??? Just look around at how many vehicle operators (not drivers) don't know how to operate a manual transmission. And even fewer can operate a "3 speed on the column". Pretty much the ability to "shift into second while negotiating a left hand turn while using hand signals to indicate that turn" is a "long gone artform".................

All a part of "dumbing down"............ possibly in the name of "computer advancement"...........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #16
malabarbob

Trailer Parking

BirchBoy - Park Assist is great. Just rotate a little knob on the dash in the direction you want the trailer to go, truck monitor target on trailer hitch to guarantee no jackknife. Hands off the wheel - just watch and gas/brake. I love it. The truck seems to take less real-estate to turn that it would with me steering. I too ordered the wireless backup camera for the back of the trailer.

Desert185 - Love the backup assist. Take a look at the video on Ford's website. Its hand-off steering and no confusion about remembering which way to turn the steering wheel. Rotate a little know on the dash in the direction you want the trailer to turn.

RGene7001 - Our friends just got back from Red Coconut and told us to try it. They said they park the trailer for you and great beach access.
Towed with a 2016 F-150 Laredo with auto backup
Travel with our "Morkie" - Zoe
malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
LittleJoe

If you rely on the park assist , you will never learn how to do it. (what if it malfunctions...)

In a tight spot use a indicator of some sort on the ground where you want the tires to be (on the side you can see). If you get the tires in the correct spot you don't have worry about where the rest is, it will be in relation to the tires.

Obvious, but if possible try NOT to back on blind side if it is an option at all.

Like Desert 185 says, try it with a manual if you think it is difficult with an auto. Practice until it comes natural.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabarbob View Post

Desert185 - Love the backup assist. Take a look at the video on Ford's website. Its hand-off steering and no confusion about remembering which way to turn the steering wheel. Rotate a little know on the dash in the direction you want the trailer to turn.

RGene7001 - Our friends just got back from Red Coconut and told us to try it. They said they park the trailer for you and great beach access.
Backup assist is not my cup of tea, and as far as someone else parking my trailer...I can smell the burning clutch now.

My dad, who taught me how to drive when I was 11 in a 1952 Ford pickup with three on the tree would roll over in his grave causing a Richter moment centered in Fairfield, KA if I even considered such a thing.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
The more times I back ours into our storage spot, the more confident I am that I can back it anywhere. But, I do have to have the DW with me when parking it in storage, no way would I attempt it without her.

Curious if the ParkIt360 works for anyone.
This is your answer Practice, Practice, Practice!!

The best tip I ever got was to place your hand at the bottom of the wheel and push it the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
scuba0331

Practice builds confidence. I know when I was able to back my camper into my old driveway then I could back up anywhere.

I had to back my camper into a spot at the Bristol Nascar race. I maneuver it in between 2 5th wheels with trucks and drunks in front of us. It took 2 tries. I did use spotters. A couple of the people came up to me and said they couldn't believe I was able to get it into the spot. I just have the mind set now that I can do it!

I did practice in a big parking lot too!

I think if you continue to rely on all of the gadgets you will never get the hang of it. Best of Luck! Consider having a professional drive give you some lessons?
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote