Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
Bar-OneRanch

Outside kitchen question

I was wondering if there is any kind of vents in the outdoor kitchen to let the heat out from the refrigerator with the door closed. We are waiting for the dealer to get in the Laredo we are thinking of buying so I can't take a look right now.
Thanks, Chris
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
therink

That is a good question. My ODK doesn't have any venting and it does get quite warm in there when closed up and fridge running. My guess is that the lack of ventilation and heat causes the fridge to work harder.
I have thought of removing the fridge and cutting out a whole on the back wall and installing a grated vent cover. On my unit, this would place the vent on the back wall in the bunk room entertainment center/tv cubby.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Bar-OneRanch

So when you close it up for overnight then the heat builds up and probably radiates into the bunk area? I would have thought they could put a vent in the wall and out the roof like a plumbing vent.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
vampress_me

Our Cougar x-lite has a hole cut behind the fridge into the underneath bunk storage area for ventilation with a wooden grate over it if you look under the bunks. We do only have the small square fridge though so I don't notice any extra heat in the camper from it. But, had to unscrew the grate and add screen to it because if we left the kitchen open during the day we were getting extra flies in the camper. Never thought I'd use the outdoor kitchen, but have found out we like it, especially for messy stuff and the little fridge.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-OneRanch View Post
So when you close it up for overnight then the heat builds up and probably radiates into the bunk area? I would have thought they could put a vent in the wall and out the roof like a plumbing vent.
Thanks
When I leave the OK closed up for a few days with the fridge running, the heat that builds up in the space is not hot, just warm. I have not noticed any significant heat radiating into the bunk room.
I was thinking that having a means of ventilation would be good for operating efficiency purposes. The newer style 115v refrigerators dont seem to put out too much heat.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
GaryWT

My Premier does not have a vent but I have not found it to be an issue in any way. When at home the kitchen is closed for a week or two at a time and not issue with the stuff inside staying cool. While camping, the kitchen stays open so no issue there. During the week, the kitchen area is no hotter than the rest of the camper as it sits in the sun.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
SLIMSHADIE

I havent had any problems either. I do close the door at night. Might be warm in there not hot. Also i dont run thre fridge for days with the door closed either. There is no temp difference in the bunk area.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #8
Bar-OneRanch

Thanks to all, that helps.
Chris