Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
theeyres

Tying together gray & galley tanks

We are on an extended trip and I'm finding hooking up the Y and two sewer lines for the gray and the galley water a real pain. I know many don't mind but when we are moving every few days I'm sick of it. I've researched all over the net about tying the two together and find a lot of discussion but no real conclusions. It looks like it would be very easy to tie the two together. Both tanks appear to be level with each other. Does anybody have a good reason for why I shouldn't do this?

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Tying together gray & galley tanks

Thinking out loud here: both tank bottoms are sloped at the outlet, so unless you can link them at the low spot, your still going to have to pull 2 handles/ hook up 2 hoses for a "complete" drain.

FWIW, my previous trailer had a separate galley tank, and it's outlet was 20 feet down the trailer and under the slide. Had to move the sewer hose to drain it. 2009 spent 6 weeks on the road. While getting across the US we moved each day. It was a pain but...I had that trailer for 13 1/2 yrs and just got used to it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There's no real valid reason why you shouldn't do it. My suggestion would be to leave everything just as it is and buy two bayonette fittings to twist onto your existing fittings, then mount your new PVC pipe onto that to tie the two together. That way, if you find it isn't "exactly what you want" you haven't destroyed the existing dump system.

My Cougar has the galley gray tank in the back and the bathroom black and gray tanks up front. The dump fitting and the two front tanks and valves are located forward of the axles, the galley valve is located behind the axles and there is a 1.5" pipe that runs under the trailer to connect all of the tanks to one dump fitting that is directly under the black tank.

You will probably want to connect your galley tank to the others using 1.5" PVC rather than trying to run 3" PVC to the galley location. The black tank contents don't flow well in a small pipe so you'll need to keep the 3" pipe everywhere you're running black tank discharge.

I hope that makes sense, if not, ask away and I'll try to explain better.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
theeyres

John, it sounds like your Cougar has the same set-up. Don't know how I could connect the bayonets as there would be too many obstructions to work around. Each tank has an exit pipe around 8" long connecting to the bayonets and and they are in line with each other. I wouldn't touch the tanks; just add T's in the middle of each exit pipe and connect the two Ts with a long pipe. There are no obstructions that way. If it didn't work I could just cut the long pipe near each end and cap them off.

Chuck, this also answers your issue as both tanks would be tied together at the lowest point, just before the bayonets. I wouldn't even touch the bayonets so both could still be used if need be. I would just plan on using the bayonet that is side by side with the black water tank.

Hope it works.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Earl, Your play sounds good. I will take a couple of pictures of what's on my Cougar tomorrow and post them, Cutting your discharge pipes and adding Tee's to connect the plumbing is essentially what I was suggesting, just doing it 6 or 8" closer to the tank valve.

I understand your frustration and one of the reasons we didn't buy a Cougar 280 was the "double dump setup"

I think you're on the right path to fixing your problem, just make sure that when you do the run, there's some sort of drain slope on the pipe or you'll have issues come winter.....

I'll post the pix in the morning.

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
bsmith0404

I've never had an RV with a double dump so I don't feel your pain, but I think if it was me, I wouldn't deal with a Y connector or going through the hassle of cutting into the existing plumbing in hopes a modification would work. The way I see it, the galley tank doesn't fill very fast and if you're moving every couple days it definitely wouldn't be full. I would just hook up the black tank and leave the galley closed. When I am ready to move I would reconnect the hose to the galley tank and dump. The best part of that, more gray water to flush any nasty's that might be left in the hose.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
hankaye

theeyres, Howdy;

If you truly feel the need to incorporate the 2 systems, here are some
items that you may find to be helpful.
http://valterra.com/product-category...alve-fittings/

hankaye

Disclaimer; I have nothing to do with Valterra or any of it's distributors,
merely a satisfied customer.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #8
theeyres

John, a couple pictures would be great. Thanks for all the other comments. I'm still open to other suggestions.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are the pix. If you need any other shots, let me know and I'll try to get them. I'll try to give you some perspective on what you're viewing:

1. the rear dump valve and the 1.5" line to the front.

2. rear gray tank valve and elbow to the front

3. view from the front to the rear. Note there is about a 1" drop (slope) toward the front tie in.

4. Front end cap and tie in

5. Front end cap, tie in and the 3" line from the forward black and gray tanks.

NOTE: The "messy foam goop" is a "factory installed addition" that I haven't found the need to clean up... When I get "a round tuit" to spare, I'll crawl under there with a razor box cutter and trim back the extra foam, but so far it doesn't seem to be creating "too much drag" on the trailer while towing.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR TO FRONT.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	6643   Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR GRAY TANK VALVE AND TIE IN.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	6644   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRONT TO REAR.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	6645   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRONT ENDCAP AND TIE IN.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	6646   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRONT ENDCAP AND TIE IN 2.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	6647  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
theeyres

Thanks for the pictures! That help and is what I will do. We will be staying a month near Colorado Springs starting Aug 1 so I will do the mod then. Thanks again.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

You're very welcome. If you need more pictures or any other help (moral support) just yell.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
gmctodd

on our previous 5er with 2 dump valves I used a cap you could screw a garden hose to on the camper. And hooked it to the end of my valterra ez coupler http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...FQ0baQodhHoA6Q
2007 Cruiser 32BL-SOLD
gmctodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
JDLUNN

2 tank dump

We have the 2 tank dump valve issue and found that switching the hose from one to the other was way to much trouble. Solved the problem by getting the Valterra connector that goes into the sewer which has the normal hose connection but also a screw connection for a garden hose. Hooked the black water up with the the dump hose to Valterra and the garden hose, screwed into the valterra, we connected to the galley valve (with a hose adapter plate). Spent 2 1/2, almost 3 months in the trailer last winter and it worked fine.
JDLUNN is offline   Reply With Quote