Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
dee74

New Atwood water heat will not work in electric mode

Ok I took my 2014 Passport 238ml out for its maiden voyage this weekend. This is my first ever travel trailer. My water heater will not work in electric mode but it works great in lp mode. I am not certain what is going on. The shore power is good. The breaker is on, the tank is full, I pulled the panel under the bunk and the electricity is connected. The tank does not indicate lockout mode. All fuses are good, there is one empty fuse slot, the very last one so I assumed this was an unused circuit. Does anyone have any ideas of something I missed or that I could check before I return it to the dealer for a fix?
dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
superdog404
Gone Traveling

If it's the same as other years as in 2013 etc. open the outside grill cover. Look in the lower left corner for a black toggle switch. It is shipped generally in the off position. It may have some tape over it. Give that a shot and let us know. Be sure the water heater has water in it as an empty tank will burn out the heating element very quickly.
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
dee74

I never found the toggle switch. I checked the element with my multimeter and it is good. No loose wires. At this point I really am not sure where to check next.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Javi

Is it an Atwood or Suburban
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Sivymp1

I too found this interseting. I have a switch next to the gas water heater that looks like it is for electric but could not remember what the dealer said it was for. It is an Atwood heater on a 2014 Passport. I noticed someone suggested looking for the switch in the grill box and I checked but could not locate one either.
1976 Jayco
Sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivymp1 View Post
I too found this interseting. I have a switch next to the gas water heater that looks like it is for electric but could not remember what the dealer said it was for. It is an Atwood heater on a 2014 Passport. I noticed someone suggested looking for the switch in the grill box and I checked but could not locate one either.
That's why I asked, I know he said it was an Atwood and they don't have an outside switch to my knowledge. As far as I know the Atwood is controlled by a switch in the control panel; one side has a lightening bolt for the electric and the other has a flame for the propane.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
dee74

This is an Atwood with a dual switch inside the trailer. One switch for gas and the other switch for electric.