Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
{tpc}

Confused about electric tongue jack

So I am looking to purchase one of these prior to our first trip. I'm sure I can handle it without it, but I still would like one.

The confusing part is which one to get and what size? Ultra-Fab? Husky? 3000, 3500, 4000 lb? 2 inch diameter, 2 1/4 inch diameter?

I am convinced that I can get away with a 3000 or 3500 lb unit. Some say Ultra-Fab are great. Other say Husky. Each site I go to, ebay, amazon, camping world all have similarly rated units but in some cases the part #'s might be one digit off from each other, and as a result, the price is somewhat different, often to the tune of $50.

I have measured my tube on the passport 2300 bunkhouse but I did so above the frame. The tube measured approximately 2 1/4 inches. Should I have measured from the bottom of the tube, which I think would be smaller?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or know if it matters if it is a 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch diameter jack I purchase?

Primarily I was thinking of the Husky Brute 3000. I like the 7-way storage option. But maybe there is a cover that I could get to cover the 7 way, that is better than my current setup of a plastic bag and rubber bands lol.

If so then maybe I could save a few bucks by getting a ultra fab? Unless I can go with the 2 inch tube husky 3000? There is a 2 inch and 2 1/4 model which the larger is $30 more.

Like I said...confused.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
sagebel

The size of jack needs to fit the hole that the jack will pass through when you mount it. The hole through the bottom of the frame is usually the smallest. As far as capacity, you need to lift the tongue weight + the weight of the TV when loaded to install weight distribution bars. I think I have an Ultra Fab. I know it's a 3500# jack. To tell you the truth I bought it, installed it, and it has ran great for the last two years. It has no problem lifting the back of my truck as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
The size of jack needs to fit the hole that the jack will pass through when you mount it. The hole through the bottom of the frame is usually the smallest. As far as capacity, you need to lift the tongue weight + the weight of the TV when loaded to install weight distribution bars. I think I have an Ultra Fab. I know it's a 3500# jack. To tell you the truth I bought it, installed it, and it has ran great for the last two years. It has no problem lifting the back of my truck as well.
Do you think there would be any issue with using a 2 inch as opposed to a 2 1/4? I would assume that the 2 inch has to fit?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
sagebel

The only issue might be the mounting holes but I think they are the same regardless of tube diameter. Do you have a dealer near you that you could go look at both sizes?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Do you think there would be any issue with using a 2 inch as opposed to a 2 1/4? I would assume that the 2 inch has to fit?
When we had the TT we used the barker 3500 2&1/4 one.
I had to rim out the hole(very little but I think it was to take the burs off the inside of the hole) for the 2&1/4 to fit. The bolts lined up right and it would raise the back end of the truck off the ground if it had the height to do it. Loved it made using the reese dual cam hitch an ease. Wortht the extra cash I spent to buy it when we sold the TT, I kept it and sold it for around 150.00 and I had used it for 6-7 years..So the investment paid off.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
{tpc}

Thanks all for the responses.

Dealer isn't close enough for a quick trip and not sure if they would even have those units. Camping world is way far away.

The trailer is about 10 minutes away. I've looked at the damn thing about 5 times now with this express purpose in mind. Sigh. you would think there would be an easier way.

Annoys me I can't leave it in the driveway for more than a day or two. Then I could figure all this crap out. Ah well, I'll just hand crank the damn thing for now.

Just frustrates me is all. I mean I have $200 worth of stuff in my camping world shopping cart. Hydro flush valve stuff, Aqua kem treatment stuff for tanks, washing supplys, leveling blocks, and I can't figure out if I need all of it or any of it. That stuff I guess I understand...I mean everyone does something different I'm sure. But this, you would think you could just pull up something that says "unit takes 2 1/4 inch tongue jack" or something. Ugg.

I'd just drive and measure it again, but since I have no idea where to measure or what to measure, it doesn't seem worth it. I know below the crank handle it is 2 1/4 inch. I don't know if that translates into a 2 inch hole it goes through or not. Since I'm ordering over the internet it makes mistakes that much more a pita to deal with.

Frankly, when I looked at it, it looked as if you would just take the 3 bolts out, and the whole thing comes out, I assumed leaving a larger opening. I had no idea there was a specific "hole" it fit into.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
sagebel

I'll take a picute of mine when I get home.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
UsTwo

Talking

Went through the same thing my self... will it fit or not... so i just bought the jack and was hopefull... guess what 3 bolts and it fits.. you may have to adjust a touch to fit.. but i bet it will fit... i have the Bull Dog 4000#.. but that is just me not wanting to have to worry if i have enough jack,,, yep i got plenty... and love it... you can get covers for them off amazon..thought i would take the jack off for the winter.. but saw some one else use a bucket tied down to the frame to cover the head .. so i did and loved it.. not pretty but it kept winter out anyway

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Jim & DJ

If your manuel jack is 2 1/4 then that is what you need. 3,500# capacity and you won't be sorry.
Also an m/t ice cream bucket and bungie works well and I have never been stopped for displaying the bucket.
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
GaryWT

3500 seems to be the most common.

Call a dealer, talk to the parts department, tell them the trailer you have and ask for a price. While you talk to them just ask if it is a 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch. Then you will know and be able to order whatever you want.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
sagebel

Measure the jack here where it comes through the trailer frame.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
BulletOwner1

Can you call the dealer and ask the service or parts dept? I'm sure they'd know.

If it were me I'd grab my tools and truck, go to the TT, hook up and just drop the current jack out and measure. 10 minute job. Put it back on and you know!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
buzzcop63

Just installed a Deluxe Power Jack 80515 made by Atwood, the unit is rated for 2,500Lb lifting capacity with a 2 3/16" tubing. Had looked all over the Internet and read a lot of reviews. Bottom line, while at the RV show here on March 5th I asked the Dealer, Curtis Trailer where I bought my trailer what to use. They said this unit fits most trailers and that 2,500Lb would take care of my Cougar. The weight on our trailer loaded is 6,200Lb with a max weight of 7,200Lb. It took about 30 minutes to install going very slowly, removed three bolts took out old handle operated jack and slide in new one, attached positive lead to battery, negative ground is through the trailer frame. So far have been on one camping trip and also brought trailer home to work on, jack has worked with out any problem and has no trouble lifting my Tundra and trailer when I put on my Spring Bars, unit also comes with a night light that actually shines right where you want it!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #14
{tpc}

Thanks everyone for the guidance and help!

I think I see where to measure now due the picture, so at least I have a better feel for what I'm doing. Going to have to find the calipers now!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Wantoride

Just my 2 cents, I have a 23rb and went for a husky 4500, which is what the dealer said they would have put on. I am sure it's overkill but after the first couple of times putting the friction sway bars on without it, I'm glad I went for the big one. I have a dip in the driveway and when I hook up it involves ALOT of cranking to lift up the tv to put the bars on. My only regret is I didn't get the remote.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #16
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Thanks everyone for the guidance and help!

I think I see where to measure now due the picture, so at least I have a better feel for what I'm doing. Going to have to find the calipers now!
If you dont have or can't find calipers, use a c-lamp or something that you can fix the width on until you can get a tape on it.
there's always a way...........

good luck.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
{tpc}

Okay so I couldn't find the calipers but I used my tape measure, some paper, and the back of the tape which has a nifty diameter measuring tool. All of them report to me a outer diameter of 2 inches for the part of the jack that is extending through the lower jack support (that is on the frame).

The hole that it comes through is only slightly bigger and my best measurement using some the tape and converting it says it is just slightly bigger than 2 inches (2.02 iirc).

So with that in mind I think it's safe to say that I need a 2 inch unit, correct?

Ok so I looked one more time before I left. Measured the outer diameter of tube extending through as 2.26 inches. So the frame support has to be bigger than that. The earlier measurements I made were of the leg extending out the bottom of the jack and the tube that it was coming from, not the frame.

So I'm think 2 1/4 inch jack size should work since the frame support hole has to be larger than that to accommodate the tongue jack that is in there already.

Jeez I'm dumb.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you thought about raising the trailer tongue, setting a couple of blocks under it, lower the tongue onto the blocks, which will let you raise the existing jack. Just remove it, take it with you and tell the parts guy at the RV dealership that you want an electric jack to fit that size jack.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
trackstand

Ordered this one and it bolted right up, all wired and done in less then 30 minutes. works like a champ and saved a bunch of coin.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #20
{tpc}

In the end I just ordered the husky brute 3000 with the 2 1/4 inch diameter. I figure if its not the right size, I'll just send it back or sell it to a friend or something.

I got it from amazon, so saved a little money, and iirc, they include return shipping labels so if its not right, I think it would be easy to return.