Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #21
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
I just completed a 1700 mile trip from NH to The Keys and I must say the 5er rode the smoothest ever! It is a side kitchen model right above the axles. Normally we would have to take everything off the counter or it would be on the floor. When we left I forgot the paper towel holder on the counter....and it never moved! If you've ever driven I95 before....you'll understand why I'm so excited!
I will be making that trip the end of the month and I am not optimistic about the condition of the roadways after this crazy winter. I am thinking it will be a washboard trip giving the suspension a good workout.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #22
halfprice

After reading several posts about the EZ flex I went and ordered the complete set for my 5th. I plan to do the install 3 weeks from now

One question. I've read several posts about installing the wet bolts to the non load side. I know they have to be in the 3 or 9 o clock position, but not sure which is the non load side of the spring.

Should it be 3 o clock on the drivers side and 9 o clock on the passenger??

Or is it 3-9-3-9 Drivers an 9-3-9-3 passenger??

Above would be for the spring wet bolts. There are two also wet bolts that attach to the ez flex unit.

Any help with this?????

I always over think these things.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
BobnLee

Dodgeman I should have taken a pic of mine after 2 years. Replaced them all and will be upgrading after another yr of using the new ones. This is one area where maintenance cant be overlooked. Just ask the guy sitting on the side of the road with suspension problems.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
Sherwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
After reading several posts about the EZ flex I went and ordered the complete set for my 5th. I plan to do the install 3 weeks from now

One question. I've read several posts about installing the wet bolts to the non load side. I know they have to be in the 3 or 9 o clock position, but not sure which is the non load side of the spring.

Should it be 3 o clock on the drivers side and 9 o clock on the passenger??

Or is it 3-9-3-9 Drivers an 9-3-9-3 passenger??

Above would be for the spring wet bolts. There are two also wet bolts that attach to the ez flex unit.

Any help with this?????

I always over think these things.

Jerry
According to the instructions for my kit that just came in the mail 2 days ago, they say to pay specific attention to the illustration to the direction of the grease holes and in the picture, it just show's a horizontal axis orientation with no specification to 3 or 9 o'clock. Hopefully I'll be doing mine in two weeks.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #25
hankpage
Site Team

Jerry, If you look at the spring end, the hole is slightly out of round. The port in the bolt faces the opening in the loop of the spring where there is no weight on the bushing. Any other position and the weight of the trailer will press the bushing against the bolt and make it difficult if not impossible to pump the grease in. (Don't ask how I know this) I hope you can understand my explanation .... sometimes I confuse myself. Hank
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #26
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Jerry, If you look at the spring end, the hole is slightly out of round. The port in the bolt faces the opening in the loop of the spring where there is no weight on the bearing. Any other position and the weight of the trailer will press the bearing against the bolt and make it difficult if not impossible to pump the grease in. (Don't ask how I know this) I hope you can understand my explanation .... sometimes I confuse myself. Hank
Yes Hank you make sense. THe opening of the "loop" is where I will be pointing the port. THanks. I think the 3-9-3-9 is what I want.

Thanks,

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #27
halfprice

I got the kit in the mail yesterday. I have to say I was very surprised on how big and beefy everything is. Way bigger and stronger than the stock set up.

Install next week.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #28
trucker LOU

Howdy all, I just finished EZflex&wet bolt install. after hearing won't take grease reports.I counter bored& relieved bolts for better grease flow(see Pic).also bench tested all bolts before install & replaced two faulty zerks. ---Lou---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2643.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	5476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	5477  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #29
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
Howdy all, I just finished EZflex&wet bolt install. after hearing won't take grease reports.I counter bored& relieved bolts for better grease flow(see Pic).also bench tested all bolts before install & replaced two faulty zerks. ---Lou---
Great idea!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #30
heatkits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
If your wet bolt won't take grease...it was installed incorrectly! You have to install them with the grease hole indexed in the right place. Usually on the side of the bolt that is not carrying the weight.
I disagree with this statement... I did mine just as stated in the instructions and 2 of bolts wouldn't take any grease. I relived all tension and still wouldn't take the grease. After removing the bolts, I found the journals didn't connect, with a little modification they work good now.

Another problem I had was the rubber compressors split and came apart EzFlex offered to send me new ones... However, they wanted to charge me full price until they got the old ones back and determined the cause for the failure. I ended up trading the trailer.

The new trailer has Equa-Flex and now that I have about 12K on it, I suppose I should take things apart and check them out or maybe just trade it in....
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #31
DiverB

I have not bought my 390 yet, but will be shortly. I plan on replacing with the Dexter E-Z Flex as soon as I get it home. The Dexter website shows complete kits for either 33" or 35". I will be buying the Keystone Fuzion 390 toy hauler, any ideas as to what kit to buy, 33" or 35" ?
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #32
byrdr1

HankPage,
whats the time for this type of reinstall.
I have concrete pad that the tires rest on and I am under cover so that if its longer job nothing is setting out in the weather.
just wondering what install time is.
I understand I will need at least 4 jack stands and some jacks I have all but the 2 extra jack stands. and plenty of 6X6 blocks from my retaining wall project.
Just questing itme frame. I got 5 weeks until vacation..
thank
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #33
Bushman512000

wet bolts

I am a Guy that has had a $700.00 break down do to fiber bushings not a real nice time .But I was very lucky to have been backing in to a camp site when things fell apart not doing 65MPH or more .You need not have a close call to chance safety but You make the call .I have changed 5er again and I installed the kit before My trip south the 5er I bought was a like new one but the ware was showing already on the links and bushings .So I up graded and also changed out the tires to 10 ply also cost was not a big deal I did it for the safety and to make My trip to and from trouble free...just My 2 cents...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #34
Sherwood

I just installed my EZ Flex and Wet Bolts today. Was quite a chore and took about 6 hours total. I only have about 1,000 miles on my camper and the equalizer to hanger bushings were already shot and wobbly. The other bushings were in pretty decent shape. Scratching my head along with many others here as to why they would put such inferior junk in such a vital area. Of all the places to skimp right? Forums like this will save you a ton of money and apparently with this issue, a life or two.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
Old 04-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #35
DiverB

Sherwood,
Did you buy your kit from Nicks or somewhere else? The more I read about how Keystone is not using quality parts on the suspension makes me scratch my head as well, especially a component that could cause an accident or leave you on the side of the road and a very expensive tow bill. I will install the E-Z Flex kit as soon as I buy my Fuzion and get it home, before any camping trips for sure. I find it interesting that Cyclone by Heartland knows the E-Z Flex suspension is a good choice and they install it from the factory on their top of the line toy haulers...
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #36
Sherwood

I bought mine through EasternMarine.com The kit was $160 shipped. That's interesting that Heartland puts those kits on their campers. Should be industry wide.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #37
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
HankPage,
whats the time for this type of reinstall.
I have concrete pad that the tires rest on and I am under cover so that if its longer job nothing is setting out in the weather.
just wondering what install time is.
I understand I will need at least 4 jack stands and some jacks I have all but the 2 extra jack stands. and plenty of 6X6 blocks from my retaining wall project.
Just questing itme frame. I got 5 weeks until vacation..
thank
randy
Randy, Once you get it jacked up it only takes a few hours. I was concerned about overloading or bending the landing gear so I did one side at a time. But I am sure that following Dexter's instructions is best. If you can borrow or rent an impact wrench it will cut your time considerably. Good luck and remember the job is not done without pics.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #38
denverpilot

Just for thread correctness, Keystone does install the Dexter axle and EZ-Flex on some trailers. My '14 Laredo 312RE has them.

What it does not have is the upgraded shackles nor wet bolts.

I don't see anything in Heartland's ad there that indicates they do the wet bolts or thicker/better shackles either.

I'm planning on upgrading the shackles and wye bolts on mine, but the EZ Flex is already there.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #39
concours

The Mor Ryde wet bolts and X Factor took me 7 hours total that included a bit of planning as I was parked on gravel but I am a retired heavy duty Tech. so this is well inside my comfort zone. The system looks real good I was never happy with the factory set up. As for the problem with not been able to get grease in the bushings I took a flat file and made a grove for the grease to flow, works great.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #40
denverpilot

Heh heh. Ran across this tonight on YouTube and wondered if all the shackles are broken under the test trailer.