Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Painting "Wood" laminate?

I now know that I am search bar challenged, there is no way I am the first one who has wanted to paint the existing cabinets? I tried all sorts of combinations for searching, and the closest thing I found was that painters tape can cause it to peel when painting walls?

Truly sorry, if someone will point me to a thread where it is discussed, I would be very thankful.

If for some reason there is not one, I need to know if there are dos or don'ts or tips for painting the frames of the cabinetry. It is some sort of laminate over osb as far as I can tell.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Steve S

Don't, it'll peal, chip and flake off unless you want to sand the s$#t out of it first.
But why would you want to do that in the first place?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
WaltBennett

Are you certain they are laminate? Our Monty has real wood doors, and although the cabinet box sides are laminate, the front faces are real. If you only want to paint the doors, you just have to worry about sanding the wood some. If you need to refinish them, you'll need to remove the old finish first. I made some mods to our old TT with unfinished oak and put tung oil on it - matched the laminate almost perfectly.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Don't, it'll peal, chip and flake off unless you want to sand the s$#t out of it first.
But why would you want to do that in the first place?
My girlfriend does not like the old decor. I promised her if we did not go take mortgage out on a new rig, and bought one we could afford, she could change out any finches on the interior she wanted. The old Oak was the first request.

Are you sure about the peeling? She showed me pintrest pictures of painted cabinets, of course they were probably all taken right after completion :-)
Old 02-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
Are you certain they are laminate? Our Monty has real wood doors, and although the cabinet box sides are laminate, the front faces are real. If you only want to paint the doors, you just have to worry about sanding the wood some. If you need to refinish them, you'll need to remove the old finish first. I made some mods to our old TT with unfinished oak and put tung oil on it - matched the laminate almost perfectly.
Yeah, ours is the same. Laminate bases, real wood doors. My GF wants a solid color on the cabinets, doors and bases. I figured I had the doors handled, but never tried to paint over laminate before.

Thanks all
Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

For other people interested

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...380712,00.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Laminate-Cabinets

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092100593.html

Think I like the wiki one best
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure you've got laminate cabinets. I'd be more inclined to think they are "vinyl wrapped" rather than laminate. The endcaps are printed "hardboard or luan" and the stiles are "vinyl wrapped" in almost all the RV's I've seen. The only true "hardwood" (and that is often poplar that's stained to resemble oak) is in the frames and doors. Otherwise, I'm thinking all of your cabinets are "photo-printed hardboard/luan" or vinyl wrapped.

You might want to do some closer looking before you decide on one of those paint concepts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure you've got laminate cabinets. I'd be more inclined to think they are "vinyl wrapped" rather than laminate. The endcaps are printed "hardboard or luan" and the stiles are "vinyl wrapped" in almost all the RV's I've seen. The only true "hardwood" (and that is often poplar that's stained to resemble oak) is in the frames and doors. Otherwise, I'm thinking all of your cabinets are "photo-printed hardboard/luan" or vinyl wrapped.

You might want to do some closer looking before you decide on one of those paint concepts.
ah, I used the wrong phrasing when searching. Thank you

From what I can tell everything is osb vinyl wrapped except the cabinet doors, and maybe the slide trim.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Steve S

I'm thinking I would leave it alone or buy new replacement doors.
Personally I think your going to create a headache that you really don't want to have.
Maybe post up a pic so we know exactly what you're dealing with.
I'm thinking JRTJH nailed it.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
I'm thinking I would leave it alone or buy new replacement doors.
Personally I think your going to create a headache that you really don't want to have.
Maybe post up a pic so we know exactly what you're dealing with.
I'm thinking JRTJH nailed it.
The doors are wood, it is the cabinets they are attached to that is the wrapped osb, so just the gaps between, and around the doors. Uh, I'll post a picture of my entertainment center, but it is all the same stuff that is in most rv's I looked at when shopping.

I am going to go to a real paint store, and see if someone there will have an educated answer. From what I have read, it is all about getting the primer to stick to the vinyl, and there may be products designed for that?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Steve S

So my educated answers are no good
22 yrs owning a construction company and I can tell you right now that paint will not stick to vinyl, it might for awhile if you sand it but it'll peal.
Keep in mind the temp variations in a trailer compared to a house, paint doesn't stand up very well to that.
The paint stores will sell you a bunch of stuff and take your money but keep in my why they sell paint for a living.......they have no hands on experience.
I know of only 1 product that would work as a primer but I won't post it here as the stuff could kill you in an enclosed space. Also for me in B.C I need to flash my license to buy the stuff.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
So my educated answers are no good
22 yrs owning a construction company and I can tell you right now that paint will not stick to vinyl, it might for awhile if you sand it but it'll peal.
Keep in mind the temp variations in a trailer compared to a house, paint doesn't stand up very well to that.
The paint stores will sell you a bunch of stuff and take your money but keep in my why they sell paint for a living.......they have no hands on experience.
I know of only 1 product that would work as a primer but I won't post it here as the stuff could kill you in an enclosed space. Also for me in B.C I need to flash my license to buy the stuff.
Sorry Steve, that did sound like I was putting down your opinion after I read it, not how intended it at all! What I really meant, is that I wanted to go somewhere not Walmart or Home Depot, and talk to someone who only deals in paint.

Some of those DIY sites I was reading were talking about special primers that would bond to the vinyl, that you could then prime with another primer, then paint, so I wanted to go in and read some labels. You think they are all bunk? I certainly trust the experience of contractors field experience.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
I tried all sorts of combinations for searching, and the closest thing I found was that painters tape can cause it to peel when painting walls?
If for some reason there is not one, I need to know if there are dos or don'ts or tips for painting the frames of the cabinetry. It is some sort of laminate over osb as far as I can tell.
Thanks
Dave, I had my main kitchen counter top off my sink cabinets and I had to rebuild my drawers that were in this cabinet. it isn't even an OBS product. It's more like a pressed paper and wood composite. ITS junk it will bust up easy.
And then it is covered with the vinyl woodgrain type paper. its not as think as the old contact paper would be. I had to rebuild the drawers with 1X4's, screws and finishing nails. NOT the drawers but what held them and the sliding hardware all in place.
After reinstalling my counter top I used screws, pin nials and wood glue to get it all back together. NOT having a cabinet shop or the right tools did not help.
NO one has mentioned it but what if you redid the doors and used a 1/4 luan over the cabinet frames. put the luan up and cut(router) your openings paint it what ever way you wanted and then refinish the doors to match. If you have the right table saws, tools, etc. you might be able to do it this way very easily.
JMHO
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Dave, I had my main kitchen counter top off my sink cabinets and I had to rebuild my drawers that were in this cabinet. it isn't even an OBS product. It's more like a pressed paper and wood composite. ITS junk it will bust up easy.
And then it is covered with the vinyl woodgrain type paper. its not as think as the old contact paper would be. I had to rebuild the drawers with 1X4's, screws and finishing nails. NOT the drawers but what held them and the sliding hardware all in place.
After reinstalling my counter top I used screws, pin nials and wood glue to get it all back together. NOT having a cabinet shop or the right tools did not help.
NO one has mentioned it but what if you redid the doors and used a 1/4 luan over the cabinet frames. put the luan up and cut(router) your openings paint it what ever way you wanted and then refinish the doors to match. If you have the right table saws, tools, etc. you might be able to do it this way very easily.
JMHO
randy
I will take a look, depends on the end panels, and how I would make the corners.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

That's what I'm thinking also. The term "laminate" is being used here incorrectly. While the doors may be solid wood, the framing and facing is going to be covered with a vinyl material. I'm not sure what the process is, but it appears to be some kind of heat application where the vinyl adheres to the wood framing. I'm guessing that all of the trailer manufacturers are using this, even on high end trailers, because it eliminates the time waiting for conventional wood finishing materials to dry.
If you run you finger along the back side of the cabinet face, you can feel he edge of the overlay material.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
That's what I'm thinking also. The term "laminate" is being used here incorrectly. While the doors may be solid wood, the framing and facing is going to be covered with a vinyl material. I'm not sure what the process is, but it appears to be some kind of heat application where the vinyl adheres to the wood framing. I'm guessing that all of the trailer manufacturers are using this, even on high end trailers, because it eliminates the time waiting for conventional wood finishing materials to dry.
If you run you finger along the back side of the cabinet face, you can feel he edge of the overlay material.
No, you are both right, it is a vinyl, I scratched a spot when wrestling the television out of its spot, and it is exposed to teh mdf. I was just using the wrong terminology, sorry.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
Sorry Steve, that did sound like I was putting down your opinion after I read it, not how intended it at all! What I really meant, is that I wanted to go somewhere not Walmart or Home Depot, and talk to someone who only deals in paint.

Some of those DIY sites I was reading were talking about special primers that would bond to the vinyl, that you could then prime with another primer, then paint, so I wanted to go in and read some labels. You think they are all bunk? I certainly trust the experience of contractors field experience.
K here you go, I'll solve your problems for you.
Disclaimer I didn't type this my dog did so don't blame me if you die of a nasty lung infection.
There's only 1 product that I would use and it's called Sandsfree, the stuff works great, I've never had a problem with it. It comes as a primer as a base and many colors as a finish.
WEAR A MASK!!!! The stuff can kill you and the stink lingers for a day or two!
Write and sign your will before using

Signed Zoe the campfire dog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010028.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	4979  
Old 02-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
K here you go, I'll solve your problems for you.
Disclaimer I didn't type this my dog did so don't blame me if you die of a nasty lung infection.
There's only 1 product that I would use and it's called Sandsfree, the stuff works great, I've never had a problem with it. It comes as a primer as a base and many colors as a finish.
WEAR A MASK!!!! The stuff can kill you and the stink lingers for a day or two!
Write and sign your will before using

Signed Zoe the campfire dog
Zoe looks so sweet, I cannot imagine anything toxic coming from Zoe. Might be an academic conversation anyway, my gf is starting to back pedal a bit about painting all of the cabinets, which is more than fine by me. Tell Zoe thank you anyway.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
Bob Landry

If you are really deadset on changing the colors of our cabinets, why not just re-face them and then you could have the wood and finish of your color. Cabinet doors aren't that expensive and considering the time you are going to spend trying to find a product that will do what you want and then have to redo it multiple times, it may be cheaper. The standard dark cabinet color for Keystone's cabinetry is cherry. Take a door to a paint store and let them match the color, then you only have to reface. An even cheaper solution is to tell DW to live with the color and move on to another project because this one has all the makings of an exercise in futility.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #20
Steve S

She says thanks and to send her a bone
I rescued her 4 yrs from a very nasty place and she goes everywhere with us.
2 yrs later she saved my life and I'll never forget that
So what's the GF plans now?