Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #1
Wally15

Anyone Self-Installed 2nd A/C?

Seriously considering putting a 2nd a/c in the MBR of my '13 Laredo 308RE. Already has the wiring and the vent. Closest reliable RV maintenance/install shop is 2 hours away. I have a nice shop crane that can put the 110# unit on the roof. Doesn't look that difficult to install after reading the literature. A little worried about seal alignment and a potential leak source.
Anyone done a self install a/c? Any problems or surprises? Any opinions on pros and cons of self-install? Any protection required to work/stand on roof membrane? Rough guess is I can save about $150. That's a full tank of diesel!
My 15K main a/c is ducted to floor vents. I'm assuming the ductwork does not extend to the MBR roof, so I'm planning to purchase a 13.5K ductless model. Thought I'd add a heating element to the air distribution box for backup. I will have to do this mod in the driveway.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
tightline

This is a very easy install. The hard part is getting the unit on the roof. It will take you longer to remove the vent in the roof an clean the roof than it will to install the ac. After the clean up I just put a blanket on the roof with a thin sheet of plywood to protect the roof set the unit on the roof then two people to pick it up an set it over the hole you are finished on the roof . Inside may take 30 min. When I shopping for a AC I did find that some are sold kits an some are three parts outside unit,inside unit an gastet the one I got was a kit the gasket was fasten to the unit. My installed took less time than your two hour drive will. Good Luck .
tightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
jje1960

Aircon install

I did ours prior to the 2013 season, hardest part is getting it on the roof. I ended up having a neighbor assist, we pushed / pulled up sliding on a ladder. Read and re-read the instructions prior to starting, it's important to understand the process, not just follow the directions. Ours sealed just fine. Be careful to not over tighten the 4 long shoulder bolts that actually hold the unit down, ours was tight well before the recommended torque settings.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
WaltBennett

Haven't added a second one, but I replaced a broken on on a TT I had years ago. Like everyone's said, the worst part is getting it up onto the roof. The rest is easy if you just follow the directions.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
jtyphoid

Don't forget foil HVAC tape to seal things up so that you don't lose conditioned air into the ceiling cavity.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

If you are handy and have the tools (especially that crane) you can do a better job than any RV tech. Just because it's yours and you care. Most dealers service rates are over $100 per hour so I am sure you will save more than your estimated $150 and know that it was done right. You will be done long before you could have driven to the dealer and back. Take photos while doing it and let us see the project completed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
JoeofNSB

I used a long extension ladder and a slide plate made out of plywood with a good rope to pull the unit up onto my Raptor. Worked very well, safe and nothing got dropped.

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote