Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
1baddoggy

1/2 Ton vs. X-Lite

Can anyone tell me the difference between 1/2 ton and X-Lite? I'm looking at the 1/2 Ton 28RBSWE, and the X-Lite 28RBS. Same floor plan, the 1/2 ton has higher fluid capacities, a smidge more trailer weight and about 100lbs less hitch weight. Am I missing anything else? Quality and finishes the same?
1baddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
overdrive

quality

just purchased a 26bhswe, we looked at tt for months i was set on a very lite trailer but i wanted a good quality well built trailer and had no luck in my search in a resonable price range. some of the super lite trailers are built with very little structure. I sacriviced some things for a well built trailer that will last us many years. look close at things, x lite trialers are lite for a reason. we love our hideout. good luck

2011 Ford FX4 F350
2004 ford fx4 f150
2013 26bh Keystone Hideout
Air Lift ride hieght airbags
2006 Honda Rubicon
14' Lund 10 hp Mercury
overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
1baddoggy

But the 1/2 ton only weighs around 30lbs more on the trailer and 100 less on the hitch. The 1/2 ton also holds a lot more fluids. So, why would anyone pick the X-Lite over the 1/2 ton? I must be missing something else??
1baddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
KanTC

The Xlite is the 'eastern' line & built in Indiana, Keystone's original plant location. The 1/2 tons Series is the 'west coast' line built in Oregon since 2009.
The letters 'WE' at the end of the model # indicates that it's a 'west coast' model. Only certain trailer lines/brands are built in Oregon, and this plant typically
supplies the western dealers in the U.S. & Canada. The Indiana plant supplies the eastern 2/3 of U.S. & Canada... not all Cougar models are available from
both plants. Generally speaking, purchase is based on the buyer's location - western residents buy the 1/2 ton series & central/eastern residents buy the Xlite.

As already noted, the weights/measurements can vary from east/west on some floorplans -- the differences (if any) are most likely due to the 2 distinct
front caps, and possibly also due to the supplies/materials used. It's probably more cost effective to use a local (Oregon) supplier than to ship items from
Indiana, simply to achieve identical weights.

Hope this helps & happy shopping.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
TAZ23

As KanTC said "WE" stands for western edition. if you go to Keystones web site and click on Half ton in the upper left corner there is a question mark(?) that will bring up a map of the distribution of the Extra Lite versus Half Ton Cougars. If you want a Half Ton you will most likely need to go a little west as the border line is the Dakota/Montana,Wyoming line.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
raycan2

Hey

I was thinking the same thing? I just picked up my 2014 27 BHS X-Lite last week and have not used it yet, But I was wondering what the difference was between them.
raycan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
theeyres

Just ignore all such terms like 1/2 ton or Xlite. They are just marketing terms. That's it. Period. When you look at actual weights you will often find trailers marketed as normal weight that are lighter than those marketed as Extra Light. The terms are totally meaningless.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28rbs, 28rbswe, cougar, x-lite, xlite