Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #21
rodgebone

My two cents...Obviously, I have the 291UBH behind a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4 crew short bed with factory tow pkg, LTs, airbags and 4-pt Equalizer WDH. When I bought my truck I didn’t know I was going to be towing and didn’t have the option of upgrading. So when shopping for the trailer I did the math (in depth) and went with the biggest wrig my TV would pull by the numbers (I'm going to spare you all the math because everyone’s setup is different and Chevy vs RAM is apples to oranges) but here is a VERY good link to towing math:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/thr...-to-know.4819/. While this guide is in a RAM forum it applies to all makes & I think most here will agree this covers the numbers to consider.

It's just me and my dog 99% of the time and next to no TV cargo capacity use. I weighed every bit of trailer cargo (including full water tanks, battery upgrades, food, etc) as well as every option/upgrade on the RAM and found myself just under the limits - one year later with extra added gear, I'm probably 2-300 pounds over the 8100 gvwr although I've yet to hit the scales to confirm it. As far as towing, the RAM has plenty of engine and braking power and is very stable (no "white knuckles") as long as the airbags and tire pressures are set correctly as evidenced after 7000 miles through 11 western states in all kinds of terrain/weather. Wind affects everyone and I'm no different - I avoid travelling if it gets above 25-30mph. If I were to do it again I would go with the RAM 2500 but generally this setup works much better than I thought and I see no need to upgrade at this point aside from LTs and Bilsteins. Will also be getting a trailer TPSM system and losing the china bomb Trailer Kings next year although (knock on wood) I've had no issues to date.

Having said all this I will acknowledge I am right at the limits safety-wise. But it works nicely so guess I got very lucky with my setup and that makes me a fence sitter on the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 or 1 ton TV debate. Just sharing my personal experience with this particular trailer – hope it gives you some insight.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #22
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
Having said all this I will acknowledge I am right at the limits safety-wise. But it works nicely so guess I got very lucky with my setup and that makes me a fence sitter on the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 or 1 ton TV debate. Just sharing my personal experience with this particular trailer – hope it gives you some insight.
As I posted earlier, I'm in the same boat.

But am looking at HD trucks and I learned something specific to British Columbia that answers the 3/4 vs 1 ton debate.

I was leaning towards a 1 ton as they are not much different in price for a decent difference in payload. I've since learned that the cutoff fo BC luxury tax is 3/4 ton and 1 ton's are not considered passenger vehicles and don't get charged the 3% extra tax. So, in the end a similar 1 ton is cheaper than a 3/4 ton.

Doubt it applies elsewhere.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #23
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

This is an important topic.
Many states have an accident investigation process like California's MAIT Team.
Whenever there is a serious accident, the team actually disassembles chassis and brake components for inspection. This is done to find out who is responsible for the accident. Yes, they inspect RVs and their tow vehicles for excess weight.
You can be held responsible for your negligence.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote