Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Cubscory

Replacement outdoor grill

Hello all,

I have a 2015 Bullet 243BHS. It came with a Aussie grill, but I am looking to get a litter better quality grill. I have looked at the Olympia 5500, does anyone know if it will fit the rear mounted bumper bracket (without a lot of modification)? Or, does anyone have a recommendation of another good option that will fit the bumper mount?

I'm new to Keystone, previously had a Trail Cruiser 23QB. It has been great searching the forums on a daily basis and learning from you all.

Thanks in advance!
Cubscory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
therink

When I bought my latest fifth wheel (2013), i removed the bumper bracket and grill and sold them both before I used them. I prefer a quality grill and have a Weber Q220, which I converted to use the quick connect propane fitting. I then place the grill on a folding table that I can place anywhere within 15 feet of the quick connect fitting. I did not like the idea of hauling a grill around on my back bumper.
I suppose with some fabrication, you could modify your bumper mount to fit any portable grill that you like.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Bob Landry

I did the same as TheRink. There is only the two of us so the Weber Baby Q does fine for us. We also use a CampChef that lives in what was the space occupied by a useless outdoor kitchen. The grill sits on a folding tray table from WalMart and it's nice to be able to move it under the awning when it rains.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
donnie_o8

I have the brand new grill that came with our Passport still in the box never used. I would be willing to get rid of for like nothing......well maybe a beer...We also just carry a grill in the pass thru. We like charcoal and I don't mind messing with it.
We need a bigger truck!!

donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
Laredo291OH

Hi cubscory,

We have that exact grill, it fits the bracket perfectly, takes a lot less room to store and works much better than the grill that comes with the campers. We use it all the time.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
When I bought my latest fifth wheel (2013), i removed the bumper bracket and grill and sold them both before I used them. I prefer a quality grill and have a Weber Q220, which I converted to use the quick connect propane fitting. I then place the grill on a folding table that I can place anywhere within 15 feet of the quick connect fitting...
Where did you get the hose that you use to hook your weber to the camper?

How do you like the Q220? I am looking for a grill for our new 22RBPR and that one is on the short list.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 03-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Cubscory

I went ahead and got the Weber Q 2200. The only issue I have found, is locating the adapter to go from (regulator removed) the grill, to the QC. Looks like a 1/8 in thread going into the grill and need to adapt to the 1/4 in QC.
Cubscory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
GaryWT

I looked at the Weber but the only ones that I saw you would be removing the control knob when you removed the regulator so I went with a Coleman with a stand. Have never had a bumper stand.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 AM   #9
neveser

My wife and I were discussing this. We never grill with gas, we prefer charcoal so the idea of the gas grill is wasted on us. I'll never use it. She thought it would be great to get a burner to be able to cook outside. We love having bacon and eggs in the morning. She loves the idea of being able to cook outside and not get that fried food smell inside the camper. Anyone know of a burner that can be mounted outside?

2014 19FBPR Bullet Premier
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 4x4
neveser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 AM   #10
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
My wife and I were discussing this. We never grill with gas, we prefer charcoal so the idea of the gas grill is wasted on us. I'll never use it. She thought it would be great to get a burner to be able to cook outside. We love having bacon and eggs in the morning. She loves the idea of being able to cook outside and not get that fried food smell inside the camper. Anyone know of a burner that can be mounted outside?
Google propane camp stoves and many options will pop up. Most will come with a regulator so that it can run off a propane bottle, but the regulator can be removed and the stove easily adapted to run of the trailer's outside propane connection. Your other option is one that runs off of 1 lb canisters which are a PITA considering you already have regulated propane available outside.
For your use, Camp Chef makes a single burner camp stove, 30K BTU burner, that would do everything from bacon to frying a turkey. We use our Camp Chef more than any other appliance.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
Jaccara

I just ordered the Camp Chef Ranger 2 burner to fit in the spot where the grill is. We won't use the grill either and I wanted to be able to make coffee and eggs outside.
Jaccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:50 AM   #12
linux3

I bought a Char Broil tabletop grill from Wally World a couple of years ago.
I can put it anywhere. I don't like the idea of having the grill under the awning and the price of a long propane hose was way more than the $25.00 I paid for the grill.
I pick up 1 lb propane tanks when they are on sale, the grill folds up for easy storage in the basement and when and if it dies I can pick up a new one almost anywhere.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I noticed a couple of posts from folks talking about just "cooking" outside on a grill or whatever. We don't cook in the camper unless it is impossible to cook outside. Something I picked up and have come to really like are my induction cooking units. I use them outside on my camp table to cook most anything from bacon and eggs, to a roux, soups/stews, frying etc. They may be an option for someone that hasn't thought of them. Lightweight and super easy to clean and use.

Prior to getting the induction units I used a Coleman Nextrip portable grill w/stand and interchangeable burner units (grill grates, coiled stove top, griddle). Just gave it away this morning to another camper here in the campground. Going back to a Weber Q for a grill. I use a smaller charcoal grill when wanting charcoal. I buy one, use it 2 times or so then leave it to someone (when the charcoal won't come out clean any longer). I don't like messing with cleaning them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
gspman

parts ordered, got a kit online...thx all
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote