Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

TX RV re-register

Got my re-register form from the state for my 2002 Cougar 278EFS fifth wheel today. I couldn't remember if I had to get this trailer inspected (now inspections for vehicles required prior to re-registering). In any case, I searched online and found so many answers it occurred to me they weren't all right.

Called the DPS inspection department up in Austin and a nice gal helped me out. Said if you have a gross weight over 7500 lbs, you have to get the camper inspected. She told me to look at the actual invoice and it had my specifications. This bill said my trailer weight dry is 6900 lbs and had a 100 lb carrying capacity for a gross weight of 7000 lbs. Not sure where they got this but I was happy to not have to hitch up and run over to the inspection place.

My dry weight listed by NADA (can't find it on the Keystone site) is 6450 lbs and Keystone lists carrying capacity at 1650 lbs. for reference.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
travelin texans

The DMV only go by what's on your registration, where they come up with I don't know, but it's not the official RV weights.
Same with the class A non commercial drivers license for RVs over 26k in Texas, no one I've talked to can for 100% tell me that this license is needed. My combined weight was 25.7k +/- a 100#s & with their list of exemptions, mostly relating to agriculture, the last item was "RVs for personal use". DMV employees nor LEOs could answer for sure.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
mfifield01

They changed it 2 years ago. https://txdmv.blogs.govdelivery.com/...tain-trailers/

On another note, they don't seem to care about the registered weights for non-commercial use. They have my truck registered at 6200lbs (GVWR). On a CAT scale, I'm 6700-6800lbs with the TT. I called the DMV to ask about getting this changed to the trucks actual GVWR. They said it doesn't matter unless I'm commercial. I guess they won't weigh it and check.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

TX, and I suppose other states, doesn't really have a coherent policy for RV inspection/registration. When I first heard of elimination of the inspections, which are so irritating, I thought hallelujah!! Then I found it only covered up to 7500lbs. and I'm at 10k. Now I have to haul it 55 miles (no place in town to inspect it with a large enough place), drop it off overnite and pick it up the next day....ridiculous.

The local DPS station said that it might get changed to include all RVs but didn't know when. I have contacted both the state DPS office and my congressmen asking that the requirement be dropped. I doubt it will ever happen but I'll just keep waiting....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
TX, and I suppose other states, doesn't really have a coherent policy for RV inspection/registration. When I first heard of elimination of the inspections, which are so irritating, I thought hallelujah!! Then I found it only covered up to 7500lbs. and I'm at 10k. Now I have to haul it 55 miles (no place in town to inspect it with a large enough place), drop it off overnite and pick it up the next day....ridiculous.

The local DPS station said that it might get changed to include all RVs but didn't know when. I have contacted both the state DPS office and my congressmen asking that the requirement be dropped. I doubt it will ever happen but I'll just keep waiting....
The place I had both the truck & 5er inspected it took more time to fill out the paperwork & pay for it than to do the inspection. The inspection took about 2 minutes for both, basically just long enough to get the Vin#s written from the tags on both. To me it was a total waste of my time & theirs, but the state & the inspection shop made a couple bucks each.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
gearhead

I don't want to go into the whole sorted affair of me, my dealer, the dealers county clerk, and my county clerk. I hope I educated my dealer about 1 ton truck registration. They had me at 8,000# truck weight and 2,000# payload for a GVW of 10,000#. I went to my county clerk and re-registered it for the Ram rated 14,000#.
But, I haven't done the non CDL written and driving test.
Javi would be disappointed in me.
Where is Javi anyway?
Oh, and inspections...the local inspection lady just has me turn on the lights and hold the trailer brakes while I am in gear. Total waste of time. There has been talk of eliminating vehicle inspections. I think all is does is give the police a good excuse to pull you over. My son will drive his truck for 2 or 3 years before he gets it inspected.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

You gotta share how you could drop off your camper and they tested brake lights, trailer brakes or whatever it is they do! Did the bring in their own TV and hook up the trailer electrical cord and crawl under and see if the brakes actuated or even put the lights and blinkers on? Gotta think no inspection place would bother. Most inspection places do more or less an "administrative" inspection... kind of like playing the air guitar!
Old 09-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You gotta share how you could drop off your camper and they tested brake lights, trailer brakes or whatever it is they do! Did the bring in their own TV and hook up the trailer electrical cord and crawl under and see if the brakes actuated or even put the lights and blinkers on? Gotta think no inspection place would bother. Most inspection places do more or less an "administrative" inspection... kind of like playing the air guitar!
They have a "power cart" that has power supplies built on it with provisions for running 4/7 pin connector cables to power the trailer. It's also got a 12v booster, starter and I didn't look at what all else. I had the same question so the service advisor (we get along) took me back into the shop and gave me a "tour" of it. Pretty cool; he said they built it in house for various situations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Would be easier for them to do an "administrative inspection" bwhahahaha At least they take these things seriously. My wife went with me last time I took her Crown Vic in for a safety inspection (about a 25 mile ride for us) and she was kind of surprised when I drove up, pulled out my insurance and shook the inspectors hand and gave him $7.50 and he came back out with the "you done been inspected" paper and had it in the computer. She got kind of nervous thinking there could be junkers cruising aroiund the state that had no lights, brakes or horn and I reminded her that her Crown Vic is a 2003 model hehehe
Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
ajk170

You all are lucky you're not out in El Paso! I've seen three different inspection standards at three different inspection stations and three different conversations with three different people at the same DMV station. While I like living in this state, I can't wait to leave it because of dumb things like this! I had one station say they were required that they drive my trailer around in my tow vehicle to inspect the brakes, electrical etc. I've had another station (on Fort Bliss) simply look at everything they could see and validate numbers. While another just signed the paperwork. And forget about arguing with DMV people about Active Duty Military and what is required and what the law says. I just got my Texas license to make it easier. Love the State, not a fan of some of its Governement employees!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:12 AM   #11
kksfish

Think how lucky you guys are!

I used to reside (55 years) in Virginia where the inspections on the fiver covered everything and even included pulling the wheels checking bearings, brakes, springs, tires as well as all the other stuff lights, breakaway.....And then the tow vehicle.....even more and every other year vehicle emissions!
Moved to Georgia and we don’t do none of that stuff!
Old 09-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
Think how lucky you guys are!

I used to reside (55 years) in Virginia where the inspections on the fiver covered everything and even included pulling the wheels checking bearings, brakes, springs, tires as well as all the other stuff lights, breakaway.....And then the tow vehicle.....even more and every other year vehicle emissions!
Moved to Georgia and we don’t do none of that stuff!
Wow!
The majority of inspection places I've been to those guys are just barely qualified to step on the brake pedal, sure as hell wouldn't want any of them tearing into the brakes/bearings on anything.
Replacement undetermined