Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 AM   #1
Rgregor

Converter

How can I turn off my converter so I can plug my shoreline into an inverter? I have a 2015 keystone bullet 22rbi. I stay on my retirement property and rely on solar panels to charge my batteries. I have a generator and usually plug into it but do not really want to listen to the motor running. Any help would be appreciated.
Rgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
MarkEHansen

You should have a circuit breaker labeled CON or CONV. Flip it off.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:52 AM   #3
Rgregor

I will check and do when we get back up there. We leave our travel trailer on our land. Costs an arm and a leg to tow it from Louisiana to northern MN. Thank you for the help
Old 07-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Turning off the converter at the breaker panel may also shut off some non GFI outlets. If your converter is separate it will be plugged into the back of the breaker panel and you can simply unplug it. Can you give a more detailed description of your power set up?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
Rgregor

Currently have solar panels connected to batteries to charge them. Would like to install inverter so I can plug in my shoreline to run outlets in camper. I do not have any “outside” electric besides my generator. It is a 30 amp system.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
Rgregor

Forgot I also have two deep cycle RV’s batteries on my travel trailer
Old 07-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgregor View Post
Currently have solar panels connected to batteries to charge them. Would like to install inverter so I can plug in my shoreline to run outlets in camper. I do not have any “outside” electric besides my generator. It is a 30 amp system.
If you install an inverter there isn't any need to plug the shore power into it. Since you have a 30A trailer its a little less complicated, Your going to run the shore power to the inverter and the inverter to the breaker panel. That way if you do plug into a generator it will have "pass through" for the 110 stuff. If your inverter is also a convertor Then you will also charge the batteries when plugged into the gen.

This is all predicated on purchase of an inverter/charger. I have installed numerous systems. How many watts is your solar?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #8
Rgregor

160 watt with a 2000 watt inverter. It is not a inverter/charger
Old 07-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm not a solar expert by any means but 160W total isn't going to do much if your trying to run the 110 stuff for any length of time. NO A/C that's for sure without the gen.

I would consider changing the batteries to a pair of 6V GC batteries and increasing the solar power. With what you have described, your going to need an adapter plug to use the 30A shore cord with the inverter. The inverter needs to be AS CLOSE as possible to the batteries to prevent voltage loss or else bigger cables, this may mean an extension cord. IF that's the case, you'll need to get the proper gauge to handle the load.

It sounds like your trying to go "off grid" and I applaud you for it, I just don't want you to be disappointed.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
Logan X

I attached a link for a good article on inverter installation. I would use method #4 where you wire a 30 amp plug to the inverter output and you wire the inverter output to your converter with an automatic relay. The automatic shut off relay will shut of the converter when the inverter is supplying power.

The article has more detailed instructions and a link to the parts.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-inverter-install-diy/
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter