Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
Dave2006

Design flaws 06 springdale

The 06 springdale (32') that I'm about to purchase has 2 grey tanks and 1 black tank.. There are 2 separate hookups. I'm wondering what size these tanks are and if there were freezing or blockage problems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_175521.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	21163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190330-085857_Video Player.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	21164  
Dave2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
Wyldfire

Not a four season camper. No underbelly insulation or covering. Tanks will freeze in cold weather. Not a design flaw just not designed for use in cold weather.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:34 AM   #3
Dave2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Not a four season camper. No underbelly insulation or covering. Tanks will freeze in cold weather. Not a design flaw just not designed for use in cold weather.
I am not sure what you mean. Most all trailers that I've seen do not have an "insulated" tank. They are all exposed it's just that a smaller capacity tank will be more susceptible to freeze up quicker. I'm in a 36ft. Wildwood now and the tanks are exposed .... just have to use heat lamps, tape, and pipe insulation wrap, antifreeze, and skirting. I just wanted to know if any have had experience with the 2grey 1black tank setup. Most trailers just have 2 tanks, but this design has 2grey and 1 black with 2 different outputs...one could dump from the rear or from the front depending on where your sewer hole is in relation to each output...just have to flip around the pipe connections...because each output is connected on tanks then the 3way can connect to the sewer. All that must be wrapped.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:05 AM   #4
Wyldfire

My Cougar has 2 grey and 1 black. They are plumbed to one outlet, but I have seen others that have 2 outlets. I think it depends on how much slope they can get. If they can't get enough slope on the pipe run they put in two dump outlets.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Dave2006

Slope

Yes that makes sense. What is the size of your tanks and for 1 person how often do you dump.
My 2 tanks on my 36 ft Rockwood need dumped about once every 2 weeks. So if having a 3rd tank I'm presuming they are a bit smaller apiece. Just trying to estimate tank size which will tell me about how often to dump. But when I first saw the 2 outlet option with the 4" pvc run between them I was I bit sceptical as this connector is large and must be removed for travel. But I'm not traveling.
And the option to be able to hook up to sewer in back or front w/o having to run a long pipe is actually a plus.
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Dave2006,

You didn't list the model number for your trailer, so finding the "exact specs" is only a "best guess". On the trailer sidewall, next to the entry door, just under the grab bar/handle is a metal foil decal with the model number.

Anyway, from the Keystone website, https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ingdale/specs/ When you go to that link, in the upper right corner you'll find "select year". Use the pulldown menu to select 2006 and look up your trailer by model number. The 2006 Springdale trailers in the 32' range all look to have a 50 gallon fresh water tank and those with three holding tanks, the black tank ranges from 28-32 gallons and the two gray tanks range from 28-32 gallons as well. So, my guess would be that your 2006 Springdale has about a 30 gallon black tank and two gray tanks with a total capacity of 56-64 gallons.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
Dave2006

Yes that sounds correct. I am waiting to get the exact model number and vin but I looked up the floor plan which gave me a model number of
291 RK-SSR. I cannot identify or find that specific model and year(2006) in the Keystone website.
This is a travel trailer not a 5th wheel. So until the owner sends me the exact model and vin(sometime today), the C.S. at Keystone can't give me any info. Thanks. And yes you are right about the Slope.....that is also a factor that I will solve with levelling Jack's and mini pipe props.
But thanks for that information. If correct, I actually have more grey tank space combined.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
travelin texans

The piping connecting to 2 outlets was never part of the original design, but was connected by a previous owner as a stationary rv.
My guess by having 2 outlets that there's a front kitchen/rear bath or vice versa so it was not possible to plumb both together the length if the rv. By opening one grey valve WILL NOT dump both grey tanks.
From the plumbing in the picture my biggest concern would be that previous owner may have left all the valves open all the time. If that was the case you will have serious tank dumping issues, valves may not operate any more & worse case would be the dreaded poop pyramid in the black tank.
That being a low cost entry level rv when new was never designed to be a "4 season", "polar" or "Artic" unit so all the tanks & plumbing will be susceptible to freezing without skirting or some type of insulating.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
My Cougar has 2 grey and 1 black. They are plumbed to one outlet, but I have seen others that have 2 outlets. I think it depends on how much slope they can get. If they can't get enough slope on the pipe run they put in two dump outlets.
Just my opinion but I think it is also a matter of cost. Our previous 24' Cougar had a rear kitchen and it's galley was permanently connected (had it's own dump valve and handle) to the drain along with the other 2 tanks.
This new 27' Cougar has about the same distance between tanks and the galley is a separate drain. Not only that but the pull handle is beneath the slide and close to impossible to operate.
Never noticed this when we bought it with auto level so I wouldn't have to get on my hands and knees.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
springdale