Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
basehorhawk

Slide Out Lubrication

I have a 27SAB X Lite Fifth wheel. Do I need to apply any lubrication to the slide out, or is the only maintenance I need to do applying conditioner to the seal and making sure it says clean?

Thanks in advance for your help!
basehorhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Every so often, I apply some dry lube spray to the "cogs" in the drive assembly. Using grease or oil isn't recommended as dirt and grit become embedded and can cause excessive wear and tear on the mechanism. I use Aerospace303 on the seals to keep them clean and flexible.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
basehorhawk

Thanks for the reply. Would Slip Plate work for something like that?
basehorhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Being a dry, graphite-based lubricant, I would think that this product would work well for metal-to-metal applications. I'm not sure what kind of mechanism you have on your RV - whether it is hydraulic or other - mine isn't hydraulic so a dry lubricant works in my situation.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
allentx1

Question

Festus - you mentioned yours is not hydraulic... does that make a difference in what we lube with? I have the hydraulic and haven't lubed it yet and now I want to make sure I use something compatible. I have the dry graphite spray (slip plate), spray white lithium grease and a teflon spray... recommend one over the other?

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

allentx1:
My Lippert Manual says that "No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental too the environment and long term dependability of the system". That is the primary reason why I do not use grease. It also states that the slide should be opened and closed from time to time to keep the seals and other internal moving parts lubricated.
Other than the cogs on the rails, I don't lube any other moving parts. It does mention about keeping mud and other road buildup - salt and grit - off the tubes by simply washing them in soapy water.
I think you would be good with Slip Plate or Teflon dry sprays where you have metal on metal.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

Hi as Festus said dry lube like graphite only anythig that is sticky like grease! will hold all the dirt and debris from the road and wear everything out in short order.:
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
jje1960

Slide lube

Well, I used to use the grease, then read the dry lube and definitely agree. Question now.... wondering how in the next couple of weeks how to clean off all that grease I've put on last year.... Thinking degreaser and power washer? Then re-apply with the dry lube?
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
allentx1

I used Simple Green in full strength on my pullrite to get rid of the grease. I just soaked it and then used old tshirts to wipe away all the grease. Might want to be aware that the graphite lube spray is like spraying black spray paint (think pencil lead in liquid form) so anything you may not want to turn black instantly cover up. My white truck bed now looks like I took paint to it...

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
Clanton24v

Anyone have suggestions on spraying the slide seal treatment to the top seals when there is a slideout topper installed?
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanton24v View Post
Anyone have suggestions on spraying the slide seal treatment to the top seals when there is a slideout topper installed?
I have thought about that too as we're adding toppers this year. I am thinking that some kind of pole with a rag or small sponge tied to the end of it might work. Spray a bunch of the lube on it and then wipe the seal.

Pole only has to reach to the center of the slide so a 6'-7' one or so would be adequate for most of us. Maybe one of the extendable ones for window washing would be good.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Clanton24v

Thanks for the reply. I just picked my my trailer last night after getting the topper installed and picked up a can of seal treatment. And then when I got home I looked at it and thought. How the heck is this gonna work now lol. Yeah I'll have to try the rag and rod trick
Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
geo

Seal treatment and Lippert Slide

We found what I think is the best way to apply the seal treatment when the RV has slide awnings. In fact, my DW did this two weeks ago as I worked on installing the rear tank heaters!

First, use something safe, like a 3 step step-stool. HD and Lowe's have a variety of heights and steps usually in stock. Extend the slide until it is about a 8" to 12" (20cm to 30cm) from being totally open. At that point, it is easy to reach over the top of the slide while standing on the stool. Soak a paper towel - we used the "box of paper rags" you can get from HD, pull the slide seal inside while wiping the outside of the seal. Go back the opposite direction to wipe off the excess. The using the soaked towel, push the seal back out while wiping the inside. Again, return and wipe the excess. She had to adjust the slide extension a couple of times to complete the job. But she did a really great job in no time at all! The outside seal on the exterior slide wall (the EPDM white seal that sits against the RV) was more difficult. Basically soaked a paper towel and pushed it across using a long dowel. Definitely more "hit and miss".

You definitely do NOT want to use grease on the Lippert rails! The rails have a "gear teeth" on their lower edge that ride in the cog to extend and retract. The attachment shows what these "toothed bars" look like retracted inside the RV underbelly. The toothed rail rides inside of a U-shaped rail, open at the bottom, by a roller at the far end and the cog at the outside edge. If you put grease on this gear, it will make a mess inside the underbelly! The hydralic piston mechanism is usually at one end of the slide next to one of these toothed gear rails. (The exception here is the bedroom slide where the hydralic piston is centered between the toothed gear rail.) The rails are "joined" by a gear and "axle" so they are driven out by the piston equally at the same time.

Now, if you have used grease on the toothed gear rail and plan to clean it, might I suggest using something to plug the hole in the I-Beam from which the rail extends. Basically, the U-shaped rail is open at the bottom to the inside of the underbelly. That is, if you direct a power-washer or hose at where the toothed gear rail enters the I-Beam, you will fill up the underbelly of the RV with whatever you are spraying! If you have used grease, you might want to remove about 3 or 4 of the self-tapping screws holding the coroplast and reach up with a paper towel "wetted slightly with solvent" to clean the grease from the inside.

I used Dry Silicon spray this past weekend along the full length of the U-shaped rail and on the toothed rail.

While I'm on the subject, it might not be a bad idea to remove 3 or 4 of the self-tapping screws holding the coroplast next to the hydralic piston mechanism. Gently pull the coroplast open (down), and peek inside using a flashlight. (Love my Surefire LED flashlight! Small with a powerful beam!) There will most likely be a small puddle or two of water built up from condensation - warm air entering the underbelly, cooling, and dropping the now excess water out. This usually amounts to a cup or two of water. But look under the hydralic piston mechanism to see if there is a "red puddle"! If there is, you might want to tie a paper towel on a stick with a couple of rubber bands, extend it inside the underbelly area and "sample" the puddle liquid. If it is red fluid, you probably have a hydralic system leak or fitting not properly tightened. Use a clean paper towel on the stick and wipe one fitting, turn the stick over, and wipe the other fitting. If the fitting is leaking, this will allow you to assess which one it is. Otherwise, it might be the hydralic cylinder or the hydralic hoses leaking.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide_gear.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1103  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Clanton24v

Good idea for the inner seal I'll have to see off that will work for my 13' long slide