Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
ptooti

Wink Atwood Water heater & Walls

Hi just getting ready to travel and my new 2018 Passport Elite 19Rb I have a question about the WH is there just a plug or should there be an anode? upon inspection presently there is nothing to hold water in there

question 2 the exterior side walls feel solid but the back wall feels loose or spongy i can press on it and feel airflow out of the tail light seal area is this the norm I called dealer and they told me it was however I want a second opinion

Thanks in advance
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
ptooti

found this https://www.lancecamper.com/docs/Lance-atwood.pdf
Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptooti View Post
Hi just getting ready to travel and my new 2018 Passport Elite 19Rb I have a question about the WH is there just a plug or should there be an anode? upon inspection presently there is nothing to hold water in there

question 2 the exterior side walls feel solid but the back wall feels loose or spongy i can press on it and feel airflow out of the tail light seal area is this the norm I called dealer and they told me it was however I want a second opinion

Thanks in advance

Atwoods as far as I know do not have anode rods due to their construction. They do however have a drain plug; generally made of nylon or some sort of plastic...on the bottom....and hard to get to.

I'm not sure what you mean by nothing to hold the water in there. It should have a drain plug and a pressure valve at the top. If both are in place, the water lines hooked up correctly and the bypass off, it should fill with water.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
Wxman

That is how my 19RB is in both counts. Back is ‘different’, like a piece of vinyl flooring hung over a more solid wall but not really fastened down.
The water heater has a nylon drain plug, no anode as mentioned. Mine is white and was in a ziplock with the freshwater tank and low point drain plugs.
Takes a7/8” socket. I found it easier to reach with socket and extrension than a wrench.
Good luck
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
travelin texans

If it were me I'd replace the plastic plug with a brass one using Teflon tape on the threads before the plastic starts to leak, which it will.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If it were me I'd replace the plastic plug with a brass one using Teflon tape on the threads before the plastic starts to leak, which it will.
I would be careful with a brass plug in an Atwood HWH. The tank is aluminum and the brass plug can cross thread the hole because the aluminum is so soft. Also, they are dissimilar metals which can cause problems of its own. YMMV

I've never had a problem with a nylon plug leaking per se. I have had them crack at the back (2 in a row) after being in use for a month or so. Cured that by getting Atwood nylon plugs and no failures since (3 years). Don't overtighten the nylon plugs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #7
vantage32fls

I also have the Atwood, I went to our local independent RV tech when I was looking to replace the nylon plug. He told me that I could use a anode rod as it wouldn't harm the aluminum tank. I told him that I've heard different,and he then said that why does Atwood make the anode rod which there name was stamped on it. I used it for a season got rid of it and then made my own out cpvc as it seemed more durable then the nylon.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Plastic plugs use 15/16” socket. Anode rods use 1 1/16 socket. Properly sealed plastic plugs don’t leak. I just serviced a 14 year old tank that clearly had the original plug.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Plastic plugs use 15/16” socket. Anode rods use 1 1/16 socket. Properly sealed plastic plugs don’t leak. I just serviced a 14 year old tank that clearly had the original plug.
The anode rod on my Suburban water heater is 15/16"x 3/4" pipe threads, the heating element is 1 1/16" if I recall. Maybe the 6 gallon heaters are different?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Heating element should be 1 1/2”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #11
ptooti

thank you for the info I did find the plug and am getting ready to charge the system and thank you wxman for the info on the back wall I thought I had an issue but guess its normal thanks again
Old 05-10-2018, 02:53 AM   #12
nithaime

I pulled the outside door and flange. Can only pull the heater out so. I still cant reach my arm back there to loosen the fittings. the heater sits below the main floor. under the heater which sits on the floor under the frig. I don't see any access points from inside the motorhome. As matter of fact I do have a micro USB camera probe. I will try in a day or two.
nithaime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater