Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #1
hdxbonez

Anode- zinc or aluminum?

I had the wife pick up a couple of anode rods last week for our Suburban water heater while she was near our closest Camping World. They sold her aluminum rods. To the best of my knowledge, I've always used zinc rods. I stopped at the local RV store the other day, and they only had aluminum rods as well, and no one was able to explain the difference. Is there any? I can find plenty of zinc rods online if I need them, but I'll use these if it doesn't matter. My Suburban manual doesnt specify a material or part number either, so what say all of you?
Old 09-05-2016, 03:40 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Zinc rods are actually an aluminum rod with a small amount of zinc included. The zinc reduces sulfur smell while the aluminum protects the water heater. Here's a link that explains the different types of rods available, but not all area available for RV.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/5-t...rods-explained

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
Desert185

I'm going to replace mine this winter when I do the winterization. In doing some research, it seems that the magnesium one is recommended as it offers better protection. It won't last as long as the aluminum or zinc anodes, but then that's how it sacrificially protects the tank.

Opinions?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
bobbecky

This is copied from the Suburban manual:

"The tank in this water heater is protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank by absorbing the corrosive action of hot water. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate and because of this, we recommend it be replaced yearly."

The anode listed in the parts section is their part number 232767, which is a magnesium rod. We full time, and replace the rod annually, and have no issues. I purchased a plastic hose attachment that helps remove debris in the bottom of the tank. A few wraps of Teflon tape on the threads of the anode and tightened down sufficiently to prevent leaks has worked for us.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
hdxbonez

I guess I'll just use the aluminum rods that I already have and order a magnesium rod for the future.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
MBD

I replace the rod in my water heater annually whether it needs it or not. The magnesium rod is usually 80% gone when I replace it. I used an aluminum rod once-when it was time to replace it, the rod was still 99% intact. The purpose of the rod is for the rod to deteriorate instead of the water heater. Since the aluminum rod didn't "wear" or erode, I would guess that the water heater tank took the brunt of the chemical/electrical reaction. Ever since then, I only use the magnesium. I have no problem spending $25/year on my Toy Hauler - it is a significant investment, I'm not gonna try to save a small amount of money and later have issues with the water heater.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
bobbecky

You will have to ask yourself, "Do you feel lucky?" using the aluminum rod. Check what the price of a new water heater is and add a few hours labor to see if those aluminum rods are worth the gamble.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You will have to ask yourself, "Do you feel lucky?" using the aluminum rod. Check what the price of a new water heater is and add a few hours labor to see if those aluminum rods are worth the gamble.
X2 What's a few bucks yearly compared to a new water heater?
Btw I use the zinc rods as it kills the smell.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
Cbrez

Somewhat off topic, but when I replaced my anode rod last year it did not screw in all the way. Doesn't leak, but seems weird that it tightens up about half way in and goes no further. I tossed the original factory rod so not sure if the original rod was the same. Is this normal or am I buying the wrong rod?

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
bobbecky

The threads on the rod fitting and the internal threads into the tank are tapered pipe threads, so you tighten to the point where it doesn't leak. If you find it leaks, tighten some more. Make sure you are using either safe pipe dope or Teflon tape on those threads. This helps prevent leaks, and also makes it possible to remove the anode next year. I have seen several posts in the past where an individual was not able to get the anode out, and had not used anything on the threads.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #11
Cbrez

Appreciate the tip. I did not use pipe dope or Teflon when I replaced the anode this spring. I will correct that.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote