Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Rockingnm

Titan XD, any impressions?

Took one for a brief test drive, really liked just about everything about it. I've never driven a diesel before, expected more ooomph...
Rockingnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
CWSWine

I didn't drive one but looked at one. Yep, they are a nice truck except payload is around 1400 lbs way to low for most towing applications unless it's a small TT or popup.. The salesman said it was diesel and would tow almost every 5er on the market. Yea Right...I don't think so.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The diesel Titan is a "combination" of two worlds. It's a half ton truck with a half ton payload. Nissan added a "heavy diesel" that makes it capable of "pulling" much more than it can "tow". That combination is the Achilles heel of the Titan: its limited payload.

Run the numbers, (that includes all your passengers, cargo, hitch and trailer tongue weight) and see if the payload is there to stay within your application. If it works and you can afford it (remember it's a first year model) then consider it "in the running". If the numbers don't work, you'll never be satisfied, move on to something that will work.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
audio1der

TFL just put out a Gas 5.6 vs Diesel 5.0 Titan XD tow comparison; the gasser was faster and they were within a hair of each other on MPG. That, combined with higher initial cost and maintenance costs would scare me away.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Rockingnm

All good points. I'm not personally ready to step up to the 3/4 or 1 ton, but really want a little more than my 1/2 ton can produce and my engine/trans isn't worth upgrading IMO (07 f150 5.4). This "tweener" (5/8 ton) is very appealing.... That said I saw a 2016 Ram today with most beautiful deep brown color I almost thought I could want a Chrysler again, then quickly came to my senses...
Old 07-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

What is it about not ready to step up to a 3/4, cost, size or what. If you are like most, the rvs and boats they buy tend to be bigger each time and a bigger truck now will allow that. A smaller truck now will have you needing another truck to match.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockingnm View Post
All good points. I'm not personally ready to step up to the 3/4 or 1 ton, but really want a little more than my 1/2 ton can produce and my engine/trans isn't worth upgrading IMO (07 f150 5.4). This "tweener" (5/8 ton) is very appealing.... That said I saw a 2016 Ram today with most beautiful deep brown color I almost thought I could want a Chrysler again, then quickly came to my senses...

I don't get the Titan XD. But then again the Japanese don't get the American truck market.

The tween diesel, in a 3/4 ton would be a great step between the gas choices and the big diesels. But, to put a nice mid size diesel in an oversized 1/2 ton doesn't make sense to me. You have a great engine, but you still have a 1/2 ton that doesn't offer any more payload than many of the current 1/2 ton gas models. It says it has an upgraded suspension, but, the numbers don't reflect it. It will be another product out there that offers super towing capacity with a truck that shouldn't be hauling more than a U haul (facetious). They need to seriously upgrade the truck, OR, one of the big 3 needs to steal the engine and put it in an actual towing truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
Rockingnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
What is it about not ready to step up to a 3/4, cost, size or what. If you are like most, the rvs and boats they buy tend to be bigger each time and a bigger truck now will allow that. A smaller truck now will have you needing another truck to match.
For me personally it's a "feel" thing cause even the 1/2 tons are in the 50k range now and twin turbos have to be maintained right? That can't be cheap... I'm 6-1 275 so I'm not small but to me theyre making the 3/4s and 1s into these bulky, lumbering beasts and they also make me feel a little blind, like I get that it's more capable in terms of capacity but the hoods/fenders/dashes/doors etc just all seem to be scaled up unnecessarily. Same reason I hate the new jeeps, can't see squat....
Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Turd Brown in the sun FTW....not just because I own one.

kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
For me personally it's a "feel" thing cause even the 1/2 tons are in the 50k range now and twin turbos have to be maintained right? That can't be cheap... I'm 6-1 275 so I'm not small but to me theyre making the 3/4s and 1s into these bulky, lumbering beasts and they also make me feel a little blind, like I get that it's more capable in terms of capacity but the hoods/fenders/dashes/doors etc just all seem to be scaled up unnecessarily. Same reason I hate the new jeeps, can't see squat....
Don't be mislead....a diesel has to be maintained too.

Yes, a 3/4 or 1 ton seems sort of bulky compared to a 1/2 ton; but there is a reason of course. I (you) do feel like you're "up there" but how can you get an oversized suspension capable of carrying big loads without building it "up"?

I've driven 1/2 tons for 50 years at least. Did not want a 3/4 ton. I have one now and wouldn't change it for anything...in fact thinking about a 1 ton. It is bigger (3/4 ton), it's more difficult to park (it's not a mini car), BUT I wouldn't change it now. You get used to the "big" feeling, and I like the idea that when the idiots that now inhabit vehicles driving down the road decide to do something stupid I have an advantage....for me and DW. The upsizing isn't "unnecessary"; it's what's needed to accommodate the requirements of the truck. Big isn't bad for a "big" truck.

And no, a big truck can't give you the road view of my CJ7. That isn't a reasonable expectation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't get the Titan XD. But then again the Japanese don't get the American truck market.
Look at the success of the 1/2 ton Dodge Eco-diesel and I think you might begin to understand why they brought it to market.

Some of us (at least pre-5th wheel ownership) love diesels, but don't need the full capacity of the 6.7L big boys.

I'll give you with 5.0L it's sorta between the eco-diesel dodge and a real 3/4+ ton diesel, but I think they're after the eco-diesel market share. It's disadvantaged if it's within 1mpg of the gas motor though...

We'll see how it does long term. Eco-diesels seem to do very well, if you excuse the few that implode.

I have a buddy that just bought the 5.6L titan (gas). He intends to tow a 24' trailer with it. I explained the payload thing.... For him, it's a compromise between having a dedicated tow truck and something he can stuff 3 kids into that the wife will drive.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #12
GaryWT

Quote:
That is the fun of owning and driving a 1 ton. The size or even oversize of it, needing to climb up to get in, looking down at everything. It is very cool to drive a 350. I love it and am so glad I bought it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #13
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
That is the fun of owning and driving a 1 ton. The size or even oversize of it, needing to climb up to get in, looking down at everything. It is very cool to drive a 350. I love it and am so glad I bought it.
I love my F-350 except for parking garages. The CC LB doesn't like tight corners. It woukd be the same for the F-250, though.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 AM   #14
CWSWine

When you beef up suspension on 1/2 to be come a 5/8 on a truck the weights in the 5,000lbs range doesn't make for smooth riding truck. My neighbor has a 2014 F150 HD Tow and HD Payload that carried around 2500lbs payload it rode rougher than my F350. His wife and him both agreed after rider down the same rode they drive daily agreed with me. Now he owns a 2016 F150 Max Tow since all he tows is a utility trailer probably less than 1500lbs and it does ride better than my F350. He has a F150 Super Crew 6.5 bed and it longer than my F350 SuperCab, my F350 sets on 143.5 wheelbase. In this case the salesman sold this guy more truck then he need... LOL
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
Rockingnm

Great commentary, this is a small sample but demonstrating the point/counterpoint I was looking for, thanks. Ive continued to research and took a few more test drives, in both the gas and diesel versions. The 5.0 around town is a bit of a dog, the gasser is just simply more responsive, the counterpoint though is the gasser feels more labored, loves to rev but you gotta stay in it, I'm guessing that's largely due to the overall heavy nature of the truck. The 5.0 simply cannot compete with the hole shot of any competitor, but it's very confident on its own. I'm going to hold off for another year to see if this product develops or simply stagnates like the previous Titans.