Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
michol02

Replacement air conditioner choices

My 15k Dometic AC isn't cooling very well lately. I did all the "fixes". Cleaned filter, checked for air leaks, cleaned coil inside and outside, not freezing up. It has been in the lower 70s, so it should be doing a little better. I thought of having freon checked, but read that most newer rv units don't have check port, and it would be more cost effective to replace unit rather than have a port installed. I also ran it at 104 volts at a park with bad power a while back. With that said, if I have to replace it, I'm undecided on what to go with. All the major brands claim to be more efficient and better than the others. Any input would be appreciated.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
mikell

Get the one that will plug right in and save yourself alot of time and headache. I replace one in my old trailer the same time my neighbor did. He got a deal I bought the direct replacement for $40 more. Put them both in the backhoe bucket to lift them to the roof. Mine was cooling within an hour his took 2 more weekends. Just my .02
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Brantlaker

Did you buy a extended warranty for the RV? On my last TT I had a warranty on it it would not blow cold enough and they replaced the whole unit for the $100 detectable.All I did was call the repairman told him the problem he ask me for the policy # and the numbers on the unit 3 day latter he called to set up a appointment to replace it. I have found on a RV the cost of the policy normally pays for itself on a older RV.5 years of owing it the policy cost $1,800 the total for repairs was $2,460 (AC, Refrigerator,Hot Water Heater,1Axel)

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
fla-gypsy

On the three RV's I have owned they all had Coleman A/C and I have never had to repair one. That is my anecdotal recommendation, granted not very scientific. I may have just been lucky!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
michol02

I replaced the AC yesterday with a Coleman Mach 8. Wow, what a difference. Blows harder and colder than old unit ever did! I'm taking the old unit to Holiday World, where I purchased the trailer(AC still under warrantee ). I have a 1990s 7500 btu AC as a second unit on the trailer that I will swap out with the new replacement. Woooo them boogers weren't easy for a 45 year old fat man to lug up and down that step ladder.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
michol02

Bench test at Holiday World revealed that the AC is working properly. Problem is probably dirty coil. I told him that I cleaned the coil already. I took a closer look at it and sure enough, it was dirty down inside the coil. My attempts to clean it with a vacuum with brush attachment had made the surface look good, but I had just pushed the dust and crud further into the coil. I couldn't see this while it was on the camper, but out in the sun with the cover off, it was obvious. Hard lesson learned. I guess I'll clean it properly(with coil cleaner) and lug that beast back up and swap it out with the 7500 btu unit.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
billb800si

If anyone is going topside to clean their A.C. take your power leaf blower and do a good job of it. Works great.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
Larry1013

The Carrier AirV AC unit on my 2005 Outback wasn't performing very well last September while in Colorado. There were some 85* days and one afternoon it froze up, so I assume it is low in freon. I switched over to the dry mode so the a/c would cycle more and prevent freezing up. I checked the coils on top and they were relatively clean with no trash and few dirt dauber nest. So, that again leads me to believe freon is low. With no charge port, there is now way to test or recharge. So, now the basics are out of the way and hopefully no confusion, the quandary is what to replace the Carrier with and whether to do it myself or hire it done.

Has anyone installed or used the Advent units? Thoughts? Good? Bad?

The Advent has a wiring adapter to use the Carrier inside controls. This allows me to use the remote control instead of trying to run wires for thermostat and attempting to conceal the thermostat wires.

Next, my shore power is 30a, would there be a concern of going with a 15000 btu unit?

I wish I had a place close by to do the replacement myself as it would save about $300 to $400 over letting someone do it. Anyone close (east central Alabama) by with lift or some easy way to get old A/C off and new A/C on roof?

Any thoughts or opinions is gladly appreciated.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a procedure to check the Freon charge by using a clamp ammeter on the compressor wiring. The owner's manual/service manual has the instructions on how to perform the test and the test measurement "normal" readings.

I wouldn't assume that it's low on Freon just because it isn't cooling, that may very well be the problem, but there are other issues that could be the cause. No need to replace it only to find out that a thermistor was bad or a "freeze sensor" had slipped out of the cooling coils. Run the troubleshooting logic chart before you spend the money, you may find another problem...

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a procedure to check the Freon charge by using a clamp ammeter on the compressor wiring. The owner's manual/service manual has the instructions on how to perform the test and the test measurement "normal" readings.

I wouldn't assume that it's low on Freon just because it isn't cooling, that may very well be the problem, but there are other issues that could be the cause. No need to replace it only to find out that a thermistor was bad or a "freeze sensor" had slipped out of the cooling coils. Run the troubleshooting logic chart before you spend the money, you may find another problem...

Good Luck.
I appreciate this info. I will get the Carrier manual and check it out. Or is there some other manual I need to locate?

Another reason for possibly replacing unit has to do with the deterioration of the plastic parts. The condensing coil/fan cover has UV/heat damage and it is starting to "oxide" and crumble.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Get the model number off your unit, open Google and do a search for "service manual for model xxxxx" You should find a PDF file with all the information you need.

As for the plastic shroud. Maxx-Air produces replacement covers for most makes of RV air conditioners that have improved durability and improved ventilation over the factory covers. They are available at Camping World and most online RV parts websites. Usually they are less than $100 delivered. Installation is as simple as removing 4 or 6 screws, pulling off the old cover and installing the new one.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote