Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
canesfan

Steps and Handrail

The steps going up to the bedroom were, from bottom up, 10", 10" and 6-1/2". They are now 10", 8-1/4" and 8-1/4". Not perfect, but much better.

Took about 2-1/2 hours (after I had removed most of the 30 or so 3" screws holding just the middle tread on, ) and that was with somebody who knew what they were doing and had all the tools. Most of the time was getting it apart. We had to cut some stuff out because of how some of the screws were installed. The only way they could have gotten some of those screws in were to either build the steps in a jig and then put them in or build them before the sidewall was put on.

We also added a handrail. I still have to stain it. It is just round stock flattened on the bottom with a table saw and mitered ends. He cut me returns for the ends but I think I like it as is. I'd like to find some brackets that don't stick out so far, but I was pressed for time and HD and Lowes have a very limited selection of handrail brackets.

I have new carpet coming as it's virtually impossible to get it up without tearing it although we did a pretty good job.

Sigh - I'll see if I can reorientate the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659[1].jpg
Views:	266
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	5510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2661[1].jpg
Views:	300
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	5511  
Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
theeyres

Nice job. Why do they build them like that? Our Arctic Fox had three steps to the bedroom and each one was a different height! No reason. Glad you got yours closer!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Nice Job!!!!
Now you can walk up normal steps. Still amazes me what they were thinking
N
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote