Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
jabres

what type of roof do I have?

Recently bought a Keystone Hideout 27DBS and I am making sure this one never leaks water! I got on the roof while covering with my adco cover and there is two tiny spots where the Dicor or similar sealant has settled a bit. I could probably not do anything and it would be okay, but I want to hit it with the correct sealant.
My question is do I have the TPO OR EPDM roof? I can describe my roof as a plastic like roof, bright white, an not nearly as slippery as my old rubber like roof on my old Wildwood.
When I rub my hand across rough its not a real smooth texture.
I emailed Keystone to ask them what type of roof do I have and what type of lap sealant should I use and they weren't helpful at all!
My owners manual basically said to just use a sealant to maintain the roof.
jabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
bobbecky

It is most likely an EPDM rubber roof, but it doesn't matter. There are two different products from Dicor and others, one self leveling and the other non-sag. The Dicor product is Dicor EPDM Rubber Roof Lap Sealant, and can be had in both types and works on both EPDM and TPO. Get a good caulking gun, go to the Dicor site for instructions on prepping the area needing repair, which is primarily cleaning the existing caulk so the new will adhere, and just be careful up on the roof
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
jabres

also my manual just says to clean periodically. Doesn't say what type of cleaner to use if any at all...
jabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabres View Post
also my manual just says to clean periodically. Doesn't say what type of cleaner to use if any at all...
If you were to do a forum search, there are several threads that discuss what is used to clean the roof. Some of the other members use Borax, some use Simple Green, some use the higher priced Dicor cleaner. Whatever you decide to use, be sure to avoid anything with petroleum distillates or citric acid. We have used Dawn and a medium bristle brush. It cleaned okay, but, will most likely try Borax next time.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote