Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
rgnmgr

Bullet 272BHS 2nd TV mount in bedroom

Our unit has a TV mounted on the partition between the front bedroom and the living area. We are wanting to remove and remount it to the other side which is master bed. Our desire is to then purchase and mount a slightly larger, lightweight, "smart" tv on the living area side. Has anyone successfully done this? The bedroom side of the partition areas to be the same as the other side. Any recommendation on a tv mounting bracket?
Thanx
rgnmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The problem you'll encounter is finding adequate bracing behind the luan to support the TV mount in the bedroom. If you can locate a good surface that has a stud or even better, a plate that you can mount the TV bracket, you're golden. This is one of those times when a diagram of "where the studs are" would be a big help. Look for staples in the luan wallboard, feel for studs and hopefully you'll find a location close to where you want the TV that will work.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
WaltBennett

Probably the easiest and best way to do this is to figure out the size TV you can mount there and get a piece of clear 1/4" to 3/8" plywood a few inches smaller and put a finish on it. Mount the plywood to your wall, anchoring it to studs (wherever they are) with screws and the wall itself with liquid nails (don't just squirt it on, spread it out with a piece of cardboard). After the liquid nails have set, you can put a TV mount anywhere on the plywood with hollow wall anchors unless you have to be right on a stud - then screws. The TV will mostly hide the plywood and it'll be securely mounted. Don't scrimp on the TV mount though. If the TV size is at the upper limit for a given mount, get the next larger mount. You can always cut the vertical bars shorter, but you need the extra sturdiness (think about those bumps & potholes you go over).

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
rgnmgr

Bullet 272BHS 2nd TV mount in bedroom

Thanks for the suggestions.

After looking again at our current set up, I plan to use a tilt wall mount bracket in the bedroom above the normal opening. This will put the unit above our feet and at a better viewing angle. It also appears that there is more horizontal support on the cabinet. I may have to add some support (stained plywood) below the cross brace when installing the bracket.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
GaryWT

So you are getting rid of the swivel part of the tv to be used in both areas? On my trailer, the backside of the swivel is a mirror, what is on the backside of yours, just the panelling?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
rgnmgr

2nd TV mount

I will keep the Swing mount on the front to use on my new 32" Smart TV. The 32" is approx. the width of the entire cabinet and will not fit in to the current opening. The backside of my unit is wood finished with similar indention to the front for a TV. However, I will install a tilt mount above this area for a better viewing angle from the bed.